Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

2. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

3. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Super Dan returns – hopes to be model for his kid
    Saturday, 02 May 2020

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...r-dan-returns---hopes-to-be-model-for-his-kid

PETALING JAYA: Think you have seen the last of Lin Dan? Don’t bet on it.

The 36-year-old two-time Olympic gold medallist from China has vowed to keep on fighting for a record fifth Olympic Games appearance, despite the overwhelming odds.

The five-time world champion wants to set a good example for his three-year-old son Xiaoyu.

============================

But Lin Dan isn’t ready to to give up.

“I want my son Xiaoyu, who is still young, to know when he grows up that his father had tremendous difficulties at the end of his career. But he must also know his father still worked hard and tried to do his best.

“I hope to be his role model.”

China men’s singles coach Xia Xuanze, too, reiterated that Lin Dan has no intention of retiring anytime soon.

Lin Dan joined national team centralised training that resumed in Chengdu for a couple of days last week before being granted a three-week leave to spend time with his family, especially his son.

_________

Will he grab 5th Olympic ticket, assuming BWF would extend OG qualification period?

Neel Dhebar and Justin L like this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I supposed this Tokyo dream is one of the only very few things that give him the motivation to keep on going, especially after LCW retired last year.

For whatever reason, I have nothing else to say to except all the best to LD.
    Jia you, LD. I'm sure your son will be proud of you. :)

LenaicM likes this.
  6. Neel Dhebar

13 years after the first, could a third follow in Tokyo?

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2020-05-05/doc-iircuyvi1418235.shtml
    Former Indonesian great, Haryanto Arbi's selection of the top 8 men's singles in history

Indonesian Hryanto Arbi in an interview the other day publicly appraised whom he considered the top 8 greatest men's singles badminton players in history, the Malaysian legend Lee Chong Wei is in the list, and Arbi stated the double grand slam winner, "Super Dan", Lin Dan, is in his eyes the No.1, numero uno.

The 8 greatest men's singles in history as rated by Arbi includes, MAS's Lee Chong Wei, CHN's Lin Dan, Zhao Jianhua and Yang Yang, INA's Taufik Hidayat, Liem Swie King and Ardi Wiranata, and JPN's Kento Momota.

Of the eight, he singled out Lin Dan as undisputedly top of the list, the other seven are not in any order. His assessment of Lin Dan is very high:" In my list, the names are not in any order, but
    if I only have one player on my list that's number one, that is Lin Dan."

The now 48-year-old Arbi was the 1994 Hisroshima Asian Games MS gold medallist, and the 1995 (formerly IBF) world champion, in addition he was previously four-time winner of the Thomas Cup, regarded as one of the Kings of badminton in Indonesia.

Of the eight who made Arbi's choice of the greatest men's singles, Lin Dan, Lee CW and Taufik Hidayat, they are self-evident, the fans most familiar three of the " Four Heavenly Kings", they are since 2000 the best male shuttlers in the world, the dominant ones. And Liem Swie King, Zhao Jianhua and Yang Yang were the best men's singles player in the last century.

However, compared to the other six, the inclusion of ' big-nosed' Ardi Wiranata and Kento Momota gave rise to quite a bit of controversy, there are fans who questioned that the achievements of the current world ranked number one Kento Momota are not even close to the Rio Olympics gold medalist Chen Long.

Nonetheless, an individual's list is always more subjective and biased, it's just Arbi's opinion.

#12227 Justin L, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    CLELY likes this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Haryanto Arbi was interviewed by local newspaper "JawaPos" last month about the best men's singles in badminton based on his version : https://www.jawapos.com/sports/11/0...bat-sepanjang-sejarah-menurut-hariyanto-arbi/

Justin L likes this.
  9. Neel Dhebar

The same thing came to my mind. What about CL? Momota is on the list but not him. Also, I never understood my Peter Gade is supposed to be one of the greats, although a fantastic player.

10. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Justin L and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  11. Neel Dhebar

Yes, I felt the same thing when I saw it. I also think LCW should be on the list too. But it was pointed out to me that this is a western publication, so it makes sense.

12. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I feel LCW name in this list would be highly debatable. Whenever top badminton players of this century list will be created , LCW will surely be amongst them but I genuinely feel this list is fine without Lee because there'll be many players across different sports who've excelled in their discipline and won their top prizes.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei can claim the fastest footwork amongst all racquet sports athletes award.

14. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Superdan rank should be higher...much higher. Those who made this report just can't understand and realized the scale of LD achievements. He has won all mother of tournaments there are to offer.

If there is a badminton tournament in other exoplanets in our own galaxy or in other exoplanet in other exogalaxy then LD will win there as well...not once....multiple time..... same like what he did here on planet earth...multiple world champion, multiple Olympic champion....and the list goes on..... a feat that he achieved DESPITE in the presence of another badminton legend, Datuk LCW.

If LD is a professional tennis player, translating his achievements in badminton into what tennis can offer, Roger Federer can just say goodbye to his career and will gladly retire early because LD is just too good. I still dare to put all my rackets for bet that if LD is going to Tokyo, you can't ignore that he is still one of the favourite to win a gold medal. Seems tough but not impossible. Just can't imagine the scale of greatness if he does manage to defend his gold medal title for the third time.

Justin L likes this.
  15. Neel Dhebar

It will be amazing if he wins a third gold and you know what? Someone has already bet me all their rackets on this. If anyone can win it, it's Super Dan.

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

There is much more competition at the very top of the pack in tennis than in badminton. I'm in no way undermining LD achievements because he did had a few rivals on par with him so his titles are more than deserved and hardly fought for, but in tennis it's like there is constantly 5 to 10 LCW, LD or KM. In badminton a few are at the very top but it's not like the top 10 is that close. That's my opinion and I'm not a tennis fan but I wouldn't undermine Federer's achievements. LD might deserve a higher spot in this ranking though I agree.

Baddie lover likes this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well someone will loose all his/her rackets... :)

I'm all in for seeing LD participates (if he qualifies) and I'm not one of those who ask for him to step down, it's always a pleasure to watch him play and perform from time to time but winning the Olympics? Hmm that's a bit complicated.

18. Neel Dhebar

He just needs the kind of form that appears 2-3 times a year nowadays. And the Olympics is an easier tournament than the top World Tour events, so why not?

19. Neel Dhebar

This is a great video.

20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well totally! Why not, I believe anything is possible with LD but let's first see him qualify and reach the semi final. The way I see it, being part of the Olympic team would be an achievement in itself. Getting a medal would be totally bonkers! Getting the gold?! That would be the best performance ever in badminton history. But totally... why not!