What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

makes me wonder, why it focused on open outdoor sport instead of low body contact sport.

Isnt football, basketball that involve alot of body contact pose more treat on spreading the virus?
    Badminton, other hand have no body contact except when we do high five upon successfull point & we all can skip that for now.

2. DinB

DinB Regular Member

I think it's something to do with the specific situation in Thailand: the first cases of COVID-19 in Thailand were from boxing spectators from the indoor Lumphini stadium. From then there was fear that indoor sports with low air circulation and especially with many spectators would cause another outbreak. Badminton is of course a whole different story but was unfortunately put into the same category.

Now since the 2nd phase ease of lock down yesterday, indoor sports are now allowed but without spectators. For badminton, the measures are still confusing. At first there were rumors that only singles would be allowed, and masks had to be worn while playing. All players had to register with their real names, phone numbers, and address so if someone gets infected they can track the other possible infectants and control the disease. But these measures are not always practical and each courts apply them differently.

Also, team sports are still not allowed and as you say it has to do with body contact. So despite being an outdoor sport, football and basketball will have to wait.

3. event

event Regular Member

No one had masks on while playing. My performance was nothing special. It's amazing the degree to which several decades of playing can be offset by a few months of inactivity but it felt so great to just be playing again.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

thats remind me...
    If we get a data (let say a video), it takes time to download but when we want to delete it, its done almost instantly.

So sad thing we all train & polish daily/weekly routine for many years, little by little is gone in very fast speed.:(

I wonder how a pro perform after 6 month without training... Maybe it would be like me playing:p but i will be like a noob by then:confused:

sokol250 and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  5. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Mate, after watching your video and holding my racket, im a bit confused, isnt that the wrong way to hold a racket? I dont know if this is right or not but when my grip is relaxed, my racket is held between my thumb and my index (bevel grip) but with loosen and relaxed grip. Can you tell me whats the purpose of holding the grip like in your video? Thanks in advance for taking your time to explain this to me mate, deeply appreciated.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Have a look at this updated video I just did. I realize that old one can be confusing as I just did it at the spur of the moment while answering someone's question at that time.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

deepinthemusic and Mike Leong like this.
  7. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Ahh now i get it.. I read about this exercise somewhere to improve your soft touch/fake shot but kinda forget and havent got the chance to do it.. Thanks for explaining mate

visor likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Update from Germany. Commercial gyms and rental courts are starting opening up state after state - but with certain rules and restrictions (no use of the changing rooms, no showers, in some states it's singles-only etc.) but so far without an obligation to wear a mask. Down here in the south, it looks like courts will re-open by 02 June, so I have marked that date already in the calendar. At least some games of casual singles with my usual singles trainings parter would be just plain awesome and I'm massively looking forward to it. And finally... a first test drive with that Wucht P8! :p

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

10. Joran

Joran Regular Member

The government decided to move the date from 1 September to 1 July, Because of the situation calming down in the Netherlands.
    It gives me hope, but if the situation gets worse between now and 1 July it will be canceled.
    Let's hope that won't be the case :)

#190 Joran, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    kwun and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Malaysia total new cases was 10 yesterday, the lowest since MCO started in mid March. The Ministry of Health said if the number of new cases continue to goes down then after this 9th of June, some sector will be open (education and social). Just crossing my fingers hoping that indoor sports can start to be reopen again

kwun and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    7 counties in the san francsico bay area in the northern part of the state of california.

the state is setting guidelines but each county is setting their own rules and each city within those counties is setting their own rules also.

the confusion is frustrating the public at large and creating a lot of tension especially for business owners. consumer wise people will simply go to other cities for what they can't do or get in their home city.

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Things in Germany are evolving a lot faster than most of us had expected. While the number of new confirmed cases is still varying between 200 and 700 per day, it seems like the contact tracing done by the authorities seem to be able to cope with that number and to keep the local outbreaks under control. There had been some hot spots in meat factories where many mostly low-payed workers mostly from Eastern Europe are living together in small apartments, about 200 infections apparently occurred in a single mass in a baptist community and just yesterday there were reports about an outbreak in a UPS distribution centre, involving also around 200 cases alone. Looking at those incidents it still shows how efficiently this virus can be spreading if the conditions are right and how cautious all of us need to stay in the upcoming months.

Public gyms and club practices will be opening under the usual restrictions in June (exact date varies depending on the state). This means the changing rooms and showers will be closed, singles only, no change of sides, registration of every person attending the session, 15-30 min. breaks between different groups in the gym and a number of other details.

We are currently checking how many club members are planning to come to practise under these circumstances. Practically the singles-only rule will be pushing a lot of people away. And summer knocking on the door doesn’t help either.

But anyway, it’s better than nothing and I’m still super stocked to get back on court.

14. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

It looks like we will be able to play from July, but will have the 1.5m distance restriction in place. This means singles only, or mix/doubles with your housemate/spouse.

Singles only/mainly may just offset the lower fitness and tummy from lack of playing for 3.5 months :rolleyes:

speCulatius and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh yes. So in fact the perfect way to get back into shape! :D

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Unbelievable thing happened today.

I was all ready to pick my gear and swing it out at the nearest academy, after some 70 days.

Suddenly my phone rang and my training partner said he is not feeling upto it. He is scared he might catch coronavirus at the academy and he won't be coming.

This whole conversation blew my mind.
    Nobody trusts no one.

17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Got some info from on court friend (someone i meet on court, meet few times, know each other, & play together few times to) few days ago.

So it seems there is a club at Surabaya consist of old timer. Due to limitation, no one can play but this old group doing some gathering on 1 of their house. Sad, one of them is carrier & many of their friend infected & some already pass away.

So, cant really blame your friend tho.
    Today situation is really hard for all of us.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Yup, if someone is scared and unwilling to step out, you can't force him in the name of friendship.

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I train since two weeks in a group of four at rental courts of a gym.

I must correct, that the only singles rule is not correct. You can also train on a court which I prefer as a doubles player instead of singles without the front court. My task in our group is to arrange the exercises of the training. We are all mainly doubles player. Fixed partner, shuttles of each person are marked.

Since every tournament I register for was canceled, this is IMO a great chance beside I maintain my fitness at home and on the bicycle to do some badminton related drills now, to get back on track with the strokes, accuracy and refine some things.

At the moment my sliced dropshot and smash angle are not on point. Time to find back and now it is the best time to train. Especially to get back the shot quality under pressure with 2 vs. 1 corner, 3 vs. 1 corner or 3 vs. 2 corner. No more excuses of my partner to play a doubles match instead. ;)

s_mair likes this.
  20. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Looks like where I am in Australia outdoor badminton may happen with one club I belong to this month (they have received the shuttles)