Is there a conventional name for the "coconut drop shot"?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, May 27, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Is there a conventional name for what BGBadminton calls the "coconut drop shot"?

Shown here at 1:30-2:43 (Also 0:37-0:42, he does two in a row)

title-3 drop shot techniques .... by BG Badminton Academy

Also, he isn't brushing(moving the racket across) with the forward motion of the racet, and he isn't slicing(making the racket face tilted while still moving it straight forward). His racket is going forward, and slower to take some pace off, but is he also cutting underneath the shuttle to take more pace off?

I know that many coaches tend not to teach such a drop, since they often aren't in favour of drops that drop before the service line as they consider them too slow, though it has its uses and the guy in the video mentions one.

#1 ralphz, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Stop drop? One of TTY's favourite deception shots. Because of it's slowness, it's mostly useful only in singles.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

ralphz likes this.
  3. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yeah, I'd go with "stop drop", I think it's used a fair amount in doubles too ;-)

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I notice he isn't brushing it (racket going across), or slicing it (Racket going straight forward with racket face at an angle).

In an earlier thread when I was interested in examples of what you'd call stop drops, https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/stop-drop-vs-brush-drop-shot.184030/

the examples given don't seem to look like this "coconut" one.

For example looking at the following video
    Badminton Tutorial: How To Play A Deceptive Stop Drop by Lee Clapham
    it says it shows a stop drop

When he describes it it he takes his wrist back (I suppose a person could do that to cut underneath it, or it could do it to delay when the racket face meets the shuttle to give time to slow down at the end.. I think he does it for and only for the latter purpose). And then he brushes the racket across. I see that within the first minute. And when he starts actually doing them, you really see a brushing action even more clearly.

upload_2020-5-28_17-52-26.png

upload_2020-5-28_17-54-56.png

upload_2020-5-28_17-55-51.png

That's not what the coconut one is doing.

The coconut one might be cutting underneath it. But the coconut one is not a brush The racket is going forwards, it's not going across. For example here from this clip of the coconut one. You see the racket is going straight forwards after he hit it. You see from the image below, though clearer in the video.

upload_2020-5-28_18-9-1.png

contrast with you'll see in the video below, lee at the timeframe of 1:49 will brush. It's clearer in video or slow mo video than in pictures, but in his demo too lee shows brushing. I think you guys might agree Lee is brushing it (given the definition of brushing that I mentioned i.e. racket with flat face going across the shuttle)

upload_2020-5-28_18-10-18.png

I don't see the coconut one doing that.

I see the "coconut" one as possibly cutting under the shuttle.

But I don't see brushing there with the "coconut" one.

Attached Files:

#4 ralphz, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

thanks, yes maybe what this video calls it "lobbed slow drop"

lobbed slow drops 1:33 - 2:35

1:51, 2:01, 2:28,..

Looks a bit like maybe her racket face is "brushing" top to bottom. Not sure it's the same action as the one BGbadminton did but it's better really. And the name "lobbed drop shot" is probably right.. Probably BGBadminton was translating (he does that sometimes), and said coconut 'cos he didn't know the English. But yeah, lobbed drop shot makes sense. And that's the kind of trajectory for that shot in an ideal world!

There's also this kind of shot where your partner serves and opponent lifts it but flat and you jump out to intercept it. I don't know if it'd be a drop when done from midcourt. Here done from the front but you see what I mean. Maybe one would still call that a block rather than a drop even from midcourt. From midcourt there can be some deception too.

Incredible badminton match in Malaysia - Badminton 2020 羽毛球 Badminton B
    www.youtube.com(slash)watch?v=jt72XkcRNI8 (time- 3:31)
    [​IMG]

#5 ralphz, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    visor likes this.
  6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

To me it's a variation on the stop drop as that technique is still the source of the deception. There's extra emphasis on creating a steep trajectory and in the TTY examples because she's going late round the head it appears that she's cutting slightly under the shuttle.

There's not really a black and white difference between a lot of these shots/techniques, more like shades of grey ;-)

P.S. nicknamed coconut drop because the shuttle falls vertically at the end like a coconut falling from a tree!

ralphz likes this.
  7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It appeared to me that she's not cutting slightly under the shuttle, but "brushing" top to bottom rather than across. (and it is more of a "coconut"/ or better term, lob drop, than what is in post #1). And it was of course really good.

The one BGBadminton did, (post #1), he said it's good in a casual game. I think he may have cut under it.. I wonder if maybe pro players don't tend to do that one? Such a shot is perhaps often considered too floaty, not a great shot but can catch a player that isn't too fast or is tired or out of position or really expecting a smash.

On a related note, If a player does a midcourt block from high, then would you call that a drop? I don't quite recall when they are done? but what I mean is like the last image in my post #5 but while standing further back.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, there's a spectrum.

When TTY is caught with a clear high to her backhand side, often times she uses this round the head stop drop, looking like she's about to clear but she stops her action suddenly to become a push, almost like a block from a high racket position. The push is only needed for a bit of horizontal speed to just make it over the net.

From mid court or closer and lower, this action would likely be called a block.

To be sure, it's not a hitting action. There's no crispness to it. Just a bit of hold feel as the bird stays on the stringbed for probably half a sec during the pushing action. But for deception to work, there needs to be a fast initial racket speed before suddenly slowing down for the push.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

shooting stroke, LenaicM and ralphz like this.
  9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yep, looking again she's cutting down the back of the shuttle (opposite of top spin) to achieve the trajectory. Obviously how much cut and how far towards going underneath needs to be adjusted depending on shuttle/player position etc.

Still a drop shot. I think a lot of people get hung up on black/white categorisation of badminton shots/grips/techniques when, to use the same term as @visor, it's all a spectrum :)

#9 RichF, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Well said. The deceptive component will make this type of drop shot very effective.

Despite there are many types of drop shots which each of it has it's own strength, it's still will just be a dropshot which in long run has a major flaw esp if playing against a good opponent....... predictable. If a player has able to learn how to blend deceptive moves into his dropshot, your dropshot will be less predictable and even a slow, lob type of drop shot like this will be very effective.

11. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I probably get more satisfaction fooling my opponent with a deceptive drop than hitting a smash winner - that moment where their eyes see the drop but their legs are 'confused' is priceless!

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

yes nobody would be disagreeing with that. we are speaking of drop shots and specifically lob style ones.

Looking at the BGbadminton video, post #1, would you say he was also?
    (though he used very much the dropping of his arm(with elbow of course!), to do it - his shoulder lowering his arm, (and granted, hers was a round the head rather than a forehand), she could do it while keeping a high contact point, not dropping her elbow).

So note that neither are doing a block or light push or holding the racket there(i.e. no brush/cut/spin). Though I guess pros do that(simple block/light push) style drop sometimes too..

I'm wondering if anybody does the BadmintonBG racket action for lob drop shown in post #1, at the pro level.. (dropping the arm - i.e.. with dropping elbow - to get that "reverse top spin" or cutting top to bottom')? (supposing for example they get the shuttle on the forehand side, not the round the head side).

#12 ralphz, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed.

The score is 29 - 29 and it's the decider, Both of your most hated opponents are deep into their back court, well prepared for which they thought will be another > 400 kmh smash from you and then.... at that moment of judgement......when time seems to suddenly stop for a while, you then do your near identical hendra setiawan dropshot body style to unleashed your most deadly weapon, an offensive shot which only god knows why on earth they decided to associated it with a fruit, a coconut dropshot......making both of them stunned. 30 -29. Nice shot bro.... your opponent said. That's nothing.... you haven't seen my jumping backhand guava double motion durian shot.....you replied.

LenaicM and RichF like this.
  14. Hish Holds

Hish Holds New Member

There's also this form of shot in which your associate serves and opponent lifts it but flat and also you bounce out to intercept it. I don't know if it'd be a drop while done from midcourt. Here completed from the front however you see what I imply. Maybe one could nevertheless call that a block instead of a drop even from midcourt. From midcourt there may be some deception too.

15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yes I described that scenario in post #5

What? Where? Do you mean where I showed it in post #5?

It seems to be possible to call it either. IIRC one in this thread referred to it as a block, another as a drop.

In my understanding, that shot that you describe, (which i've seen involves the racket just stopping and involves no spin), and yeah from midcourt would involve deception, i'm not sure if it / that racket action, is ever done from the back? (of course if it was it'd involve deception)

I have seen that shot done from the back at club level. (racket stopping, no spin, deception used).

I have seen it done from midcourt like I mention in post #5, and from the front like I show in post #5