What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Current situation in Malaysia

- Malaysia is entering the 2nd phase of Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) which has started since 4/5/2020 after the 4th phase of CMO has finished on the 3/5/2020
    - For the public, STILL cant play badminton indoor but outdoor can.
    - BAM is discussing with the government about getting their players back to train esp those who are going to Tokyo.
    - Current Ro (Reproductive Rate) value for Malaysia Covid status is 0.3. Hope this will further decline
    - Went to survey a 3 compartment Yonex Tournament Pro badminton bag yesterday and was hoping it's price has decline due to the current pandemic situation but it's not...:( :( :(
    - Been spending time watching tv more since this restriction but not much of badminton as before ...because Datuk LCW is not playing anymore ( must admit still miss watching him playing live....)

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Doubt strong brand like Yonex, Lining, Victor would lower their price due to today disaster.
    Unless maybe the shop owner need some quick money for their family survival, maybe we will get good deal.
    Even so, nowadays most people will focus on food or something else for living rather than leisure & fun.
    Covid didnt just affect health but it also give huge impact on economic aspect to.

Hope this end soon.

3. Joran

Joran Regular Member

well in the netherlands we are totally f*cked. All halls closed till 1 September.
    that's like no court training for 7 months in total, Competitions will start 15 September.
    Can only train outside...
    All players will probally struggle the first competition matches.
    Lvl of gameplay will be much lower :(

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

OMG 7 month...:eek:
    Even if we do physical training at home to maintain our fitness,
    I will forgot how to smash
    I will lose my touch on net
    I will have no reflex
    & my foot will be stiffer than my racket shaft
    :(

LenaicM likes this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Same in France, back on court in September (may be!). My motivation is so low in regards to badminton that I had, yes I had to find another sport to stay motivated and in shape. Hitting a shuttle attached to a fishing rod in my garden feels just foolish. Same goes for shadows. I will not put up with daily shadow exercices only until September. I can't just workout to prepare for the next season without hitting a shuttle from time to time.

For now I'm focusing on something else. Can't let the badminton situation affect me on a personal level and the only solution is moving on, at least for now. I chose a sport that will help when I come back to badminton in 5 months or more. I envy the few of you able to play right now...

sokol250 likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not as dumb as me i guest.
    Going around the house while holding racket:cool:.
    Walk to get a drink with racket on hand.
    Sitting & watch tv while toying my racket (swinging or spinning).
    reading a book with 1 hand free from book & toying my racket.

Glad i didnt bath or sleep with my racket:p

LenaicM likes this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Hehe I spent the first 4 weeks of confinement doing the same, more or less. I analyzed matches, I took notes, I trained with badminton in my mind, I did some finger power exercices with the racket or a tennis ball here and there when studying or watching tv but after learning badminton won't be possible until september, that was just not possible anymore. If I knew I could play again soon (say June/July) I wouldn't have stop training for badminton.

8. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Yeah UK is July earliest, but they've already started to ease up on restrictions after the R rate has gone down to only 0.9 :rolleyes: (and daily death rates still at ~400), so my prediction is that it will probably be August/September unfortunately.
    They've said you can play singles outdoors, which I would do on a calm day, as I have a portable net, but none of my friends live particularly near me, so guess I'll have to wait. :( Sad times.

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

@swsh What's the situation in your country?

10. event

event Regular Member

Our gyms in some parts of Korea have been open for a little over a week now. They opened right about the time we went from 0 cases of community transmission to over 20 a day, with a cluster of cases linked to some nightclubs in Seoul. Unlike the cult incident in February, however, the gyms did not immediately slam shut. You have to prove local citizenship and leave name and contact info and have your temperature checked. Not many other precautions so far, other than a suggestion to wear masks when entering and when not playing. Also, air conditioning is not used and changerooms and showers are not in use. I played today for the first time in 3 months.

11. Nine Tailed Fox

How was your performance? Did you play wearing mask?

12. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

OMG, i feel bad for you guys.. Hang in there, i know the feeling not being able to play badminton when all you wanna do is play badminton.. Im from a very small town in Indonesia with zero case of covid19, we still play 3 times a week like usual..

13. deepinthemusic

Hi, can you please point me in the right direction on how to optimize grip tightening in your swing by dry swinging a racket? Maybe a youtube video?

Thank you in advance, mate

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    The country where we live 10 kilometres apart? Terrible. Just passed official Chinese figures and well all prospects of badminton remain closed with closed parks, complexes due to the areas being hotspot zones.

In other news, new world record on GT5 not snapping for months on a high tension job.

speCulatius and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

Wait two more days, I will book the courts for whole day just for you.

swsh likes this.
  16. Nine Tailed Fox

wow....Zero cases.....So, How many of your friends turn up?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's one that I made 4 yrs ago, since I couldn't find a video that demonstrates it.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

deepinthemusic and s_mair like this.
  18. deepinthemusic

Thank god so far its zero cases.. Hopefully it stays like that forever, maybe it have to do with being a very small town and around 6 hrs drive from nearest big city..

Its only around 6 to 8 of us like usual, very small group..

Nicee, i kinda get it now.. Will start training that to see if any improvement in my game, thanks..

visor likes this.
  19. Mike Leong

Mike Leong Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi,

Attached Visor's hand who also helped me to understand more about finger power.

HTH
    Mike

Attached Files:

• hand.jpg
      hand.jpg
      File size:
      470.5 KB
      Views:
    deepinthemusic and visor like this.
  20. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Turned out opening the courts on May 1st was just rumours. Thailand have several phases of deconfinement or ease of lock down. Badminton was not included in the first phase on May 1st. Only open air sports like tennis or horse riding were allowed.

The courts were opened yesterday, however, as part of the second phase along with shopping malls. For badminton, the government issued strict measures such as checking body temperature before entrance, alcohol gel for washing hands, cleaning the courts often, not allowed to sit near each other etc. But the court where I played just didn't care lol. People are starting to feel that the government should relax more and should even stop using the emergency decree since we have 0 patients of COVID-19 for some time.

While away from court, I started running regularly. Having been training for 5k run and participated in a race in late February, I started doing 10k runs recently. So despite not being able to play my only sport that is badminton, I would consider that I was relatively fit by replacing badminton with running.

Turned out I was dead wrong lol. I went back to court yesterday morning with quite a confidence. After an hour or so, I was quickly out of breath. After a 3-hour session, I came back home feeling terribly tired. I took a nap in the afternoon and started feeling some pain on my shoulders. I slept for a total of 10 hours last night due to fatigue! I woke up and felt ache all over my shoulders and arms today.

The fact is every sport is different and when you are off the court for a long time your badminton related muscle start to deteriorate. Not sure if any preparation can prepare your muscle and body for badminton without actually playing badminton. The other obvious fact is your badminton sense becomes really bad. Like I misshit all the time, my defense was terrible and my movements were really slow. I even almost twisted my ankle once. It's like starting playing badminton all over again!

endFX and sokol250 like this.