Pronation or not?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by strongline, May 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

That's two different questions
    1. What's the reason for which?
    2. How do you teach it?

For "2." I agree that I always try to fix other things, involving the grip, hoping that it will lead to pronation, but that doesn't always work. In that case, splitting the stroke into smaller segments is a valid option, just pronation can be one of them.

But regarding "1." it's still that you use this grip to be able to use pronation and not the other way around. If you would want to only rely on extension, you'd use a different grip. Pronation is the reason for using this grip.

thyrif, FeatherDance and Mason like this.
  2. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Yes, that makes things much clearer. The grip is there to enable pronation. Which reminds me, I better go teach my wife this today. I've been asking her to play with me indoors this entire time, it beats having one of those contraptions!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you were completely self taught without being coached on proper grip and proper technique, then the natural beginner's default is pan handle grip leading to very little pronation.

If you had any lessons or coaching at all, the first thing taught is proper grip (and proper footwork) which requires pronation to strike the bird effectively.

Without pronation (and finger power), you will never be able to do effortless baseline to baseline clears forehand (and backhand with supination).

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

4. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

As completely self taught by youtube and internet I've been looking a lot at videos and articles/posts trying to get this right. I assumed I was doing it right at first just by having the right grip. But from filming myself and trying to analyze it more I came to the conclusion that while yes I was doing pronation I was doing it way too early while the racket was still back so it didn't add anything to the stroke. Tobias and Badminton famly's videos are the best I think for general smash/clear technique but does maybe not explicitly enough explain the pronation part if you're struggling with that. At least it wasn't enough for me to completely understand it at first. Here are some other videos I found that more directly focus on the pronation technique and that helped me a lot. Feel tennis is obviously for tennis but the pronation concept is the same for the tennis serve as for badminton so most of it is applicable and his explanations and demonstrations are some of the best I've seen.

ralphz likes this.
  5. shadishv

shadishv Regular Member

Both Pronation and supination are an absolute must to have quality FH and BH strokes. Learn correct technique (with timing) and every stroke will be music.

Reasons for pronation being:
    1) The most natural swing to play a technically correct stroke.
    2) The typical forehand grip is naturally suited to play with ponation.
    3)With a side on posture, provides great deception.
    4) Imparts excellent power to your stroke but without injury to wrist, elbow and shoulder.

A few technical notes to watch out:
    1) About an 180 degree inward rotation will be used in pronation. At about 90 degree rotation, your racquet should be flat, to contact the shuttle for a flat/clean hit. If not flat, then shuttle will get sliced, thereby reducing power. After a clean hit, rotation continues inwards to complete the stroke.
    2) For some strokes, you will have to slice at the contact point as well. It all depends on which stroke you want to play and where you aim to place the shuttle. For regular strokes, strive for a clean flat hit via pronation.
    3) Contact point for various strokes (toss/clears, drop, smash) varies but the technique of pronation essentially remains the same.
    4) Most important note is that of a correct grip. Without a correct forehand hand grip, pronation will not be accurate /effective.

LJB is a great coach. Genuinely knowledgeable and a good-hearted teacher. But yes, he has back-tracked a bit on pronation technique. He also did the same on back hand technique (with regards to supination). I don't see this as his weakness but he being open and continuing to learn and adapt. All my humble respect for coach LJB's wisdom and good-natured efforts.

Cheers mate!

Mason and visor like this.
  6. shadishv

shadishv Regular Member

This is a good video.

7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Video has been taken down?!

8. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

It still works for me

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Weird! What's the title of the video? (I can see his channel and a list of videos)

10. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

Here is really simple rule of thumb to see if you're pronating correctly: Hold with a panhandle grip and then try to do a full smash, if your shot becomes a slice then your technique should be ok.

I spent so long trying to figure out if I was pronating and holding it correctly since I didn't look exactly like how the videos looked. However, it turns out I was pronating naturally since my coach had taught me the correct technique and grip from the start, but he never mentioned anything about pronation.

11. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Smash and clear tutorial

12. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yep, got it:

It's odd, I think the link is identical and both work in a browser but when I use Tapatalk and launch the YouTube app it says "video unavailable" when I use your link! Weird!

#32 RichF, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Suppose the shuttle is lifted high over your head and you go straight back to retrieve it.

When -you- do your shot, and when -you- make contact with the shuttle, are -you- parallel with the net?

If you are very sideways on when you make contact, then yes a panhandle grip could potentially cause a brush or a slice. So i'm going to hazard a guess that you are not parallel with the net when you do your shot. (Which is fine, there are different methods, some make contact with torso parallel with the net, some apparently make contact while a bit sideways on).

If you are front on when you make contact with the shuttle then, a panhandle grip shouldn't cause a brush or slice, as far as I can tell.. If it can i'd be interested in how. Though I don't think it would.

And(incase anybody doesn't understand or wants to pretend as such), i'd note that that's not to say that one should do a panhandle grip there or that a panhandle grip is ok for that shot!

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

What do you mean he has back-tracked. I don't see that at all, at least not from his coaching videos. If you look even at his oldest video, it's from 2010, and titled "Badminton Smash: How your elbow should be set for a smash (Part 1)" https://www.youtube.com(slash)watch?v=fYmijskCBps It isn't what most here would consider to be proper pronation and might not even be what most would consider to be proper grip. And that's his oldest coaching video on his youtube channel. It's not conventional.. it definitely can have its uses. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But re you saying he backtracked a bit on pronation, I don't see the "back-tracked a bit on pronation" , since that's his oldest video.

#34 ralphz, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020