AthleanX training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ketan Patil, May 7, 2020.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

I have been watching workout videos by Jeff Cavaliere from AthleanX. His knowledge seems great to me and he has also put up his programs on his website. Would one of them help in my fitness needs of badminton?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

VA & Paul also put out some good training at home on Youtube. Been doing it for awhile on my boring day at home.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  3. Ketan Patil

Will check it out!
    Could anyone please tell me about AthleanX? Are there any viewers here?

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

His videos looked very informative to me. Like he always focusses on the quality of reps and not quantity of reps. He's very particular about it. I think it'll do a world of good if you follow him.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Been following his videos for many years.

On the surface, might look like nothing badminton specific. But his emphasis on functional training rather than pure hypertrophy, means that the results easily translate to better physical performance on court.

Look out for some of his videos on the common causes of certain pain and injuries.
    It helped solve a golf elbow issue I had, caused by me doing pull-ups by hanging mostly from just the fingers ( namely the ring finger ).

Ketan Patil likes this.
  6. Ketan Patil

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

AthleanX/Jeff's knowledge seems great to you because you don't know any better.

Generally people in badminton tend to be very lacking in good knowledge re exercise. And even basic anatomy.

There many much better YouTubers in fitness.

Some have called out his nonsense without mentioning his name, others have mentioned him by name.

He has deleted comments from his critics.

CurleanX is a whole channel dedicated to issues with AthleanX. And if that one is too full on.

Calisthenicsmovement and fitnessfaq have a video that corrects misinformation from AthleanX on eg bicep pushup , without mentioning him by name. They are both a thousand times better technically and care far more about accuracy and are far more honest

A big problem with AthleanX is he found a format that gets views.. tell people they are doing all these things wrong.. but a lot of it is clickbait and often he does things very wrong like how he breaths for his squat.

You could still benefit from what that channel says but be aware that there is a lot of bad info on it. And because Jeff spreads FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) he can actually put people off doing things unless I suppose they buy his programs. Then they get some sense of security.. but then he does things wrong himself and doesnt address his critics and deletes comments.

Jeff Nippard is better though I don't know if anybody has gone through lots of his videos carefully..

See Geoff Schofield's review of fitness YouTubers (Geoff himself hasn't been lifting for that long but he is smart and logical and more honest than AthleanX)

Scooby's channel is a classic. And he has actually written out all his videos and put them online for free. When he isn't building an airplane in his garage. He definitely won't mislead you. He has largely retired from making new videos but all his videos are online.

You don't need endless videos on how to do this/that movement.

If you really want to be safe then if performing a movement like a weighted barbell squat, see some personal trainers in person so they watch you doing it. (Pref not just one because one may spot some errors but not another error). Or video yourself doing it and post it online on a fitness forum for critique.

Buy a good book like the Arnold Encyclopedia. And if you want to look up an exercise then it's on youtube. Before YouTube people used exrx website.

Find exercises you enjoy

Neel Dhebar and swsh like this.
  8. Obito

Obito Regular Member

AthleanX, Jeremy either, Greg Doucette these three are legit in term of getting a better physique. Usually, bodybuilding and badminton is on a different path since if you really wanna play well you couldnt be too bulky since more muscle waste too much energy, but it doesnt mean you couldnt be muscular and shredded. I think if you want to train badminton and still look good. We need to dig into Cristiano Ronaldo training program, but the end of the day, me personally since I have to train and I play more badminton nowadays, I tend to use three day total body program to catch up the frequency of weight training to still able to get the result. Or you could use badminton as your cardio, and focus on bodybuilding. It will be easier tho if you already have a fundamental either bodybuilding or badminton. I've seen some badminton club player with legit skill with a muscular body, but most of them were trained badminton since they were 6 or 7 years old.
    You could look at badminton player like Ko or Gideon. Gideon has some lean mass, but he just has too much body fat, im pretty sure if he reduces his bodyfat down to 10-15% he would look very muscular.

Ketan Patil likes this.