[Video] Can a Grommet save your life?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Feb 10, 2020.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Always interesting to test something new.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the Haribito pattern. In case you have some time to waste, check out the Simon-Mod version of it. I still clearly prefer it to the normal one due to the smoother workflow. Works best on a classic 76 hole 3+2 pattern racket. The 4+2 ones (ZF2, JS10 and many recent Yonex rackets) don’t end up that smooth.

I’m now down to comfortable 25 minutes with it, and due to the lack of practise and routine, my 2-piece jobs are always ~5 minutes slower.

kakinami and thyrif like this.
  2. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    In regards to cold press pliers:

Few month ago I came across a set for press buttons.
    Something like this.

The pliers looked interesting so I bought it.
    Unfortunately it doesn't fit grommets out of the box.

I thought about glueing something on the tip or sanding it but in the end I just made completely new parts.
    Works like a charm now.

Here's a picture of the parts. Left the original. Right the newly made ones.
    d20e9bee-71ba-4609-b8be-7502a71bc45c.jpg

And here are the "self-made" grommet pliers .
    682f4f1b-1ed9-4fe6-b8ac-43aeb48f33b2.jpg

thyrif and s_mair like this.
  3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I want to try =)
    My brain doesn't like me to do two knots though, I will tell him to try!!

s_mair likes this.
  4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Out of curiousity, is your string time just string time, or do you include, mounting, uncoiling string/measuring, and unmounting (total string time)?

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I’m only counting the net stringing time, without mounting the racket and uncoiling the string. Make it two minutes extra for that.
    By the way, before the Covid shutdown, I’ve been at around 2-3 rackets per week on average only, so I take the luxury of not stringing under any sort of time pressure.

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Holy CRAP!!! Way better than a @kwun video or a has been lame kakinami!! =) I want to try that mesurement for my mains!! That was perfect!! Diablo on every pull possible, and I like the way you started mains, I think I will steal that trick!
    Do your mains always come out that perfect? That one was on the money!!
    16:30 total string time was pretty amazing!! SICK!!!

kwun likes this.
  7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Maybe it is the grommets you use? =) Me too I don't flare my grommets and I don't have any problems wih them breaking. I use grommets from Alpha USA B1 and B5 and trim to fit. I want to try to flare though, want to experiment with new things as I get older and slower =)

8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Is there a difference in Haribito and professional haribito? I notice you go top down, and regular haribito finishes mains and then goes bottom up for most of the racket. What is advantage in haribito string pattern, sorry I have only devoted my stringing to the YY, I always had a closed mind to everything else, I want to broaden my stringing knowledge!! Plus a lot of time on my hands now =(

9. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Hi, I use cheap grommets, the type G (2.6X10mm) from MBS and the ones from the Powerti Box.

10. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Well, i think for beginners, @kwun and @s_mair videos are much better. In the past @kwun videos gave me a lot of information and you was my stringing idol ;) I love your knot, but its too complicated for me. Tried a few times and never got a consistent result. And when i string my own rackets, i always forget to test the knot again.

Works best with the MBS clamps (normally they have the optimal size) and only with machines which have right angle fix points on the inner side.

Normally yes (+/- 5cm). If the racket has a smaller head (like Voltric Z-Force II or Nanoray Z-Speed) or on high tensions then there is a little bit more left. Here in Germany we have Oliver rackets which have sometimes bigger heads. For this I take a little bit more, but not so much. Maybe 10cm.
    On the crosses I have a lot of more string left, but I absolutely hate it if the string is too short to preweave one ahead.

Well, you strung one in 15 minutes with a slower ES5Pro ;)

thyrif, speCulatius and kwun like this.
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I know that there are several patterns around that all run by that Haribito name. I found that one somewhere in here around the time when I started stringing and it was called „professional“, so I simply kept the name. And forget everything in terms of playability - I don’t see why any pattern should play better or worse than another if both are done correctly.

Here’s why I like „my Haribito“:
    - it’s the Marie Kondo of stringing patterns since it looks super-duper neat on the outside of the racket with as little slack string as possible. That one is the most important factor for me (and my OCD) if I think about it.
    In theory this should also have a positive effect on tension loss but I never cared to collect any data in that area.

- there’s a huge distance between knots and the first sweet spot strings (a handful of crosses plus the last main on both ends). In theory, tension loss coming from the knot (if there is any at all...) should hardly ever reach the sweet spot.

- with the missing final mains it’s so easy and comfortable to thread the middle crosses through the grommets

- looking at the stress distribution in the frame, I think it’s beneficial not to squeeze the frame completely from one end to the other but to start somewhere close to the centre. The load of the mains is pushing the 3/9 o’clock area outwards so it’s not a bad thing to get in some counter-load in that area asap.

- the workflow is smooth. Don’t get fooled by how it looks on video - once you got it dialed in, it flows

I’m not saying that any of this makes it better than any other pattern, mind you. I just like it and it’s funny to have that kind of a signature move. I always know within seconds when a regular client has been cheating on me.

kakinami likes this.
  12. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    @s_mair maybe you can try 2 pieces string ZZ pattern where the main string shorter (6 & 1/2 rackets length) and the cross string longer (7 rackets length). Below is the picture of my racket strung using ZZ pattern. The side will looks neat. For the video, you can go to another thread. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

kakinami and s_mair like this.
  13. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    The thread is Badminton stringing pattern? All model

kakinami likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Looks very neat. I’ll have a closer look at that, thanks for bringing it up again!

15. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

s_mair likes this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Make a new thread Videos of different stringing patterns!!! If you don't I will when I try to make a video or the next person to make a video make a new thread!! Maybe it can help other stringers, we are hiding these techniques in FLARING GROMMETS!!

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That would be cool! I’m confident that you have the capabilities to follow what you see in the video.

Great idea to make a thread to collect different pattern videos. I’m currently thinking about what video to make next. So if there are any ideas floating around, feel free to brainstorm.

kakinami likes this.
  18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Do you know the ZZ pattern?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

19. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst

I posted this video in other thread.

20. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member