Durable strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ketan Patil, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

Can anyone suggest very durable strings which do not compromise much on power and control?
    Preferably from Yonex or Li-Ning.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thickness & repulsion is 2 side of coin. You cant see both side at the same times.

If you concern about durability yet also concern about power, maybe you might want to use 0.69 gauge string like LN5, VBS68, BG80. But each have different characteristic that you might love or hate, so you need to experiment yourself.

Other thing, check your grommet & see if there any broken grommet. If it does, ask your stringer to replace it. & do you use your racket to pick a shuttle on the floor? If yes, you might scratch the string on the outter frame to the floor & some racket with special grommet makes the string prone to scratch even more.

My TK770 with VBS66N 27lbs havent snap yet. It already show sign of peeled coating here & there but its been 2 month & still surviving. Idk, maybe i will cut it myself next month or just let it be for awhile while waiting for LN66EX or LN1Boost available in my area.

michael5098 and Ketan Patil like this.
  3. Ketan Patil

How is the LN5 in terms of durability and power?
    How well do BG65 and LN7 or LN1 fare?

4. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

What do you currently use and at what tension? How many hours do you play and how soon do your strings break? Do you play with plastics?

LN1 is powerful like BG66 ultimax but more durable. LN5 would be even more durable but less powerful. It is hard to recommend without some parameters such as just how powerful is acceptable and how much more durable do you want.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Ketan Patil

I want it to be as durable as it can be. :D
    Decent pretty would be OK and the control should be good.
    I play with plastics but would change to feathers when I receive coaching. For now I am a self taught somewhat intermediate player.
    It is the first time I have broken my string. It lasted 10 months(default string on Voltric 0.1DG)

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Default string never be a good string as it use a cheap string maybe BG6 & quite low tension. My guest, you have strict pocket & would have trouble if you string regularly. And if you do fine with default string & last for 10 month, well i guest you wont find any noticable different between string. So LN5 or BG80 would be sufficient for you & you dont need to makes your life so complicated:D. Note that BG80 is kinda hard feel compare to LN5.

7. Ketan Patil

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BG65 is better for you.

It's a bit thicker and will last longer than BG80

michael5098 likes this.
  9. Ketan Patil

10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

ANYTHING will be better than the default string for power and probably last almost as long whilst at a higher tension. Jumping to BG80 might be a big change so probably wait until you are used to the feeling of tighter strings too.

For example, by taking small incremental steps on each restring and assuming your skill improves as you play more you will get some benefit by adapting your string setup to match your level.

This time try BG65 or LN7 @21lbs (good durability, more power and control than default)

Then try BG65 or LN7 @23lbs (still durable, similar power, bit more control)

Then you keep increasing the tension and/or change to a different string to get different benefits. It will depend on your skill and style of play. And your budget.
    Try BG80 or LN5 @24lbs (reasonably durable at this tension, more power, great control, hard feeling might be good or bad)
    Or try BG66ultimax or LN1@24lbs (less durable but even more power, good control, similar feeling)

11. Ketan Patil

Thanks!
    But I feel that the default strings were at a higher tension as compared to 21 lbs. The stringbed was very tight and the max tension is 35 lbs. So, I feel that the default strings were at a bit high tension.
    Well, would you tell me about the difference between BG65 and LN7?

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

What is default string you mean? Did you buy racket unstrung & ask for bonus or whatever it is & then they string your racket as per your request? Or you buy a racket that is already have string on it?
    If the case is opt 2 where you buy racket that is already strung, i really doubt it would be high tension or at least i doubt the tension is higher than 24, not to mention how long its been there & the string stretch or dead.

Really, you had alot of good advice up there. So please dont makes your life complicated & enjoy it as it is. Dont follow us whinie, picky player coz we already poisoned with all the complicated stuff:p

Ketan Patil likes this.
  13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Default strings on any yonex racquet is most likely BG3 at like 18lbs, which is the most awful thing you could possibly use.

michael5098, Cheung and Ketan Patil like this.
  14. Ketan Patil

It is option 2.
    Well now I am enlightened. I will not further complicate my life. :D
    Now my questions would be mainly about different kinds of strings. :cool:
    Thank you.:)

15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

as you didnt find any issue with default string which me & posibbly many other consider a worst string & tension, i can assume you wouldnt be able to feel or find any noticable different between each string.
    Like an experienced cheff that would be able to taste a very minor taste in a food that we mortal wont be able to feel it. Or a mucisian that would be able to hear a very small minor miss tone that we mere human wont be able to realize it.

So, makes it simple, enjoy the games, improve your skill, & trust me... Eventually you will be poisoned like us & become much more sensitive to feel the different & starting to become picky like us.

16. Ketan Patil

How are these strings in terms of durability, power and control:
    Li-Ning NS30
    Li-Ning AP7
    Victor VS68
    Yonex BG70 PRO
    Gosen G-PRO 70
    Ashaway Zymax 66 Fire

17. Neeraj Mohandas

Neeraj Mohandas New Member

I have used Gosen GPro70 for a long time now. Very happy with it. I have felt that it retains the tension for a very long time.