YONEX FACTORY HANDLES

Discussion in 'Grip' started by 124windsor, Apr 4, 2020.

1. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    I assume Yonex has a very high quality control making rackets. However JP designated rackets are selling way higher prices, than other country coded ones, they should not be any better or worse, otherwise the company shooting itself in the head.
    I generally buying rackets from Hong Kong with SP designation, and I noticed there is some discrepancy
    on the size of the grips.
    Last Monday I received a new shipment from HK, a Yonex Voltric Z Force II, 4U/G5 SP and an Astrox 100 ZZ
    also 4U/G5, and immediately become apparent, that the grips are not identical. I have 2 other Voltric Z Force
    4U/G5's about 3 months old from the same supplier, so I checked the grip diameters on all of them.
    Turns out that these 3 months used racket grips now are 82 mm in diameter, the brand new Voltric Z Force II
    is 83 mm, and the Astrox 100 ZZ is 81 mm. Where is the quality control of Yonex. It would be difficult to believe
    that for different models the grips sizings with the same numbers are different , but surely the G5 grips are for the Voltric Z Force are 83 mm diameters from the factory, yet the G5 for the Astrox 100 ZZ is 81 mm.
    YONEX SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL ON THIS ISSUE.

2. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Did you measure the wood i.e. with the grip removed?

3. 124windsor

badminton coach
    No, I measured the handle with the factory gripon, That is what Yonex is referring to as grip diameter, not to mention that's what i'm holding,
    not the naked wood.

4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

The wood is the critical part, grips vary e.g. they get squashed when used, they are thinner if pulled tight or less-overlapped etc.

Not to mention that different grip models have different thicknesses.

If the wood is a different size then that really is a quality issue!

yenyesoh, s_mair and Cheung like this.
  5. 124windsor

badminton coach
    You are talking rubbish. I referred to factory grips which consistent with numbering
    and you are talking changing the grip, which could very, pending on the pulling.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Lucky it doesn’t affect me. I take the grip off a new racquet straight away and work from the wood.

yenyesoh and endFX like this.
  7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

No need to be rude.

What I was trying to ascertain is WHY there is a difference. (i.e. is it the grip or the wood?)

Maybe you did get one racquet where the grip at the factory was pulled tighter when applied, maybe there is less overlap, maybe they used a different factory grip on the 100ZZ?!

You can see how the grip is applied in this video, note that a human controls the tension/overlap.

#7 RichF, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    yenyesoh likes this.
  8. 124windsor

badminton coach
    Thanks for the video. I saw the one when kento Momota visited Yonex. Same thing.
    I suggest you to read the original article, because I clearly pointing out that the ORIGINAL!!!!!!!
    Yonex Voltric Z Force II SP rackets with 4UG5 logo come with 83 mm grip size, and after 3 months used reduced to 82 mm, but
    the Astrox 100 ZZ SP 4UG5 originally measures 81 mm. So all Yonex models with the G5 grip should have 81 mm circumference brand new,
    and G4 grips have circumference of 83 mm, so should be designated properly.
    And if you think that the workers pulling the grip with different force, then YONEX HAS A MAJOR QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE!!!!!
    Thas is my point. I hope I clarified my point to you.

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I understand your point 100%.

G5 should be 83mm.

What I would like to know is whether the wood on the 100ZZ is smaller than the ZF2 or is it just how the grip has been applied?

10. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

By any chance, did you happen to weigh these racquets, or compare other performance aspects that matter like shaft length, actual shaft flex during play as these relates to tooling and processes?

I'd be far more concerned on where these racquets fall in terms of being in the extremity weight ranges of 3U 5U, or if its a very average 4U as this translates to the amount of carbon fiber raw material used, rather than cheap balsa wood.

IMO 1mm of size difference on a balsa wood handle with a factory wrap around it is next to negligible ; I bet I could make either the handle, or the factory wrap, or both shrink and expand more than 1mm from mere humidity and temperature :).

On that note, I have 4 ZF2's (all 3UG5, 3 from the same sunriseclick distributor), of which two SP coded ZF2's that are within 0.1g of each other and identical shaft lengths, while an AU coded one is +0.3g heavier with a +6mm higher bp, along with an IP coded LCW edition that is fairly average with the exception that its shaft is extremely flexible.

#10 pepe54, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020