What causes dull stringjob?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Leonline, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Leonline

Leonline New Member

Hello BC, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I could use your help!
    I started stringing badminton rackets myself about two years ago and learned a lot from this forum. It seems I have now met my match and I couldn't find a solution here. The problem is this.

I have two Victor Onigiri's, one is maybe 7 years old, the other 3 or so. I have restrung both rackets multiple times with various strings over the years without trouble. Recently I strung the old one with BG66um and the stringjob didn't turn out well: it was very dull, for lack of a better word. Normally, the strings produce a ping when hit against the palm of my hand with a nice long chime. This time there was no chime. Played with it twice, still dull. I left it in my bag for a while and figured I would replace most of the grommets some time thinking that was the cause.
    Yesterday I replaced about 50 grommets and I restrung it using bg65. Same problem, no chime. I checked the racket again, no sunken or broken grommets but there was a twist in the string (on outside, I usually put strings neatly straight next to each other).
    So, I tried again but the 3rd time was no charm: again no chime. Even though it looks perfect, no flaws that I noticed.

I strung both Onigiri rackets on the same Stringway machine using the same YY-pattern. In between I strung for others, even last week, and got the proper results I'm used to. That makes me not question the machine, tools or technique. (Un)fortunately it seems to only happen to this specific racket.

Dear BC, what could be the cause? Can a racket just run out of life? Any help would be much appreciated as I string for others as well and would like to deliver proper stringjobs. Amateur or not :)

#1 Leonline, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you use the same procedure? what's the main/cross tension? side support? how much do you "stretch" the head when putting on 12/6 oclock support? did any of those change?

the biggest influence, once all the support in place, is the main/cross tension ratio.

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Could it be that there is a crack somewhere? Some times even a cracked handle can do this I think... - try to bend the shaft and see if there is a clicking sound at the handle?

I can hardly believe that a twist of the string on the outside would kill the ringing like that...

4. Leonline

Leonline New Member

Thank you for your reply Kwun.
    The procedure is exactly the same.
    Tension for this racket was 10.5 kg on mains and 11 kg on cross. I always use this ratio. When I started using my machine I tested that there is no deformity on racket heads this way.
    The racket is not stretched when putting it on the machine.

Even if one of the above was the case, I would then always do the same thing 'wrong' on all the rackets - and still don't know why it causes an issue only on this one.

5. Leonline

Leonline New Member

As it turns out the twisted string was not the cause so you're right about that.

The handle doesn't click but it is a very much used racket as it has been my favi for years. I can't see an obvious crack somewhere but so far it is the only explanation that would make sense. Do you also know why a crack would influence the ringing?

#5 Leonline, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  6. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Cracks stop the transfer of the vibrations? I am not smart enough to give you a reasonable explanation, but from the experience whenever any kind of object gets a crack it always sounds duller...

Leonline likes this.
  7. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Try to test every inch of the frame by hearing when hitting it with a piece of metal or hard plastic, or glass, so you will hear and locate the most likely invisible crack of the frame.

8. Leonline

Leonline New Member

Got distracted by corona...
    So, I checked the racket and found a difference in sound right at the top of the frame. I have an identical Onigiri with proper sounding strings and that racket has the same different sound at the top. Still no luck then.

Thank you for helping out though, if anyone has any other ideas, I'm eager to hear them!

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Given everything you've said, especially since it's happened with two restrings, I'm going to predict it's the racquet.

I wonder if there is a crack or multiple cracks, perhaps hairline, that haven't shown through the paint yet or are hidden under the strings on the outside?

Slim chance of spotting a difference but if you hold the two racquets on top of each other are the heads exactly the same shape?

Cracks will change the sound as the string isn't being held against a solid surface, a bit like if you don't press the string on a guitar hard enough against the fret.

10. Leonline

Leonline New Member

The frames are the exact same shape as well.

But all things considering, I think you are right in saying it must be the racket. Given all the same factors and the different outcome, it seems to be the only thing that makes sense.