How to punish a not deep enough long serve without using energy/smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by waterbee, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. waterbee

waterbee New Member

When you are really tired and someone does a long serve that doesn't reach only before he doubles line. What are good returns aside from a smash (which I am weak at).

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'd send it back to the back of the court with a clear. If you are tired to the point you can't smash or even half smash, I can only imagine you can't do a drop shot either because it means you have to be able to follow through in case your opponent play the net after your drop. Which is probably more tiring than a smash.

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Normally you should have at least energy for one Smash at the beginning of a rally. It depends on the opponent, of course, but in this case I try short rallies when the opponent is still fit.

Smash and follow up are 1-2 rallies. A Clear is usually a longer rally. Alternatively, you can try a cross-drop, because your opponent gives you a good angle.

4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Attacking i.e. flat, clear? (the idea being that they know their serve was too short and they'll be expecting a downward return e.g. smash)

LenaicM likes this.
  5. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Half smash or stick smash works well in this situation, the opponent normally lift rather than play a net shot.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

So the opponent lift it back, eventually a bit short again and what can the OP do this time? He is more or less in the same initial situation and will tire more and more along the rally.

I guess it simply means you can't be too tired to smash when a smash is needed otherwise you'll loose the point one way or another. :) OP had to build up his stamina and endurance a little bit.

Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  7. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

A sliced drop?

Saves energy, makes the opponent work to reach the shuttle. Forces the opponent to lift or play a net shot so there's no risk of a fast return unless he reads your shot beforehand.

Very common shot choice in professional singles when an opponent plays a weak lift but the attacker doesn't want to waste energy smashing or is off balance.

8. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

If opponent lift it after a stick smash, OP is at the backcourt position, if smash is not an option, OP can do a drop shot, forward straight drop, sliding drop left corner or deceptive glide to right corner sometime can win points. Or, OP can clear it high and deep and ask for a rotational switch to front court ( if play double).

#8 Carbonex_7, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Both have the same problem, you have to cover the entire length of the court after both of them. That's fine, unless.... you're too exhausted.
    That's it. In singles, you can put pressure on your opponent in various ways, but you yourself have to be quick enough to cover the possible responses. I don't think that's possible when you're too tired for one stroke.

LenaicM likes this.
  10. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Yeah you're right. Clearing does give you more time to recover. It's easier to clear to the backline if the lift is only 3/4 lenght.

11. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

That will probably lead to a longer rally again. The basic tactic in singles should be to play a mostly neutral game until you get an advantage. When you have this advantage, you can attack your opponent unsing
    • movement pressure
    • attacking shots (smash)
    You already are in the better position, so you're in the position to either attack areas of the court that are harder for your opponent to cover (with or without deception), but this also opens up court on your side. The other option is to use attacking shots. A smash will most likely result in a straight return, so gives you less to cover, but demands more energy to start with. Thus we're back at what @LenaicM already mentioned:

You need to work on your physical abilities to win these matches.

When you know afterwards, you only lost because of that and other than that, you would have won, that's something you can work on easily! That's part of the game, too, so you should be working on it and it also means that your opponent was better on that day. Good for you is that this is something you can work on everywhere and at all times.

Repeat the workout if it's too easy. More will be coming, but I can't record for a few more days, probably.

SimonCarter and LenaicM like this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's definitely this. Can't play singles if no stamina.

speCulatius, Sumanth99 and LenaicM like this.