US Press Coverage - U.S. Men's Badminton Team Win Semifinal

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by wmb2002, Aug 21, 2005.

1. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

The San Francisco Chronicle (a major US newspaper) had a nice write-up yesterday on the US MD win:

"Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach became the first Americans to have a shot at a world badminton title by winning a men's doubles semifinal Saturday night in the World Badminton Championships.

The 13th-seeded team of Gunawan, from Fullerton, Calif., and Bach, of San Francisco, swept No. 4 Luluk Hadiyanto and Yulianto Alven of Indonesia, 15-9, 15-13.

Second-seeded Candra Wijaya and Sigit Budiarto of Indonesia, who won the world championship in 1997, will try to stop Gunawan and Bach in the finals Sunday."

The rest can be seen here, http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/20/sports/s234251D53.DTL. :p

2. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Interesting. They don't mention that Gunawan is formerly World #1 from Indonesia :p

3. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

Congratulations Team USA!!!

Maybe more US press will report the Badminton WC now that USA's MD team won the GOLD? We'll see...

4. Reason

Reason Regular Member

The 11 o'clock news mentioned the USA victory. They talked about it for about 20 seconds and that was it. but hey, i was suprised they said anything at all. And its a start! :p

5. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

CNN - "U.S. stuns Indonesia for first badminton title"

The CNN/SportsIllustrated site just reported the win on the SI front page as one of the top stories:

Breaking through

Gunawan, Bach win U.S.'s first world badminton title

Posted: Monday August 22, 2005 2:21AM; Updated: Monday August 22, 2005 2:21AM

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach won the United States' first world title in badminton Sunday night at the World Badminton Championships.

The pair, seeded 13th in men's doubles, rallied in the final game for a 15-11, 10-15, 15-11 victory over No. 2 Candra Wijaya and Sigit Budiarto of Indonesia, who were seeking their first world title since 1997....more here, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/08/22/badminton.finals.ap/index.html

6. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

MSNBC - "U.S. pair makes history in ... badminton?"

MSNBC also picked up the same AP story:

U.S. pair makes history in ... badminton?

Gunawan, Bach take country’s first ever title at championships

[​IMG] Mark J. Terrill / AP
    United States players Tony Gunawan, left, and Howard Bach celebrate winning the men's doubles finals at the IBF World Badminton Championships on Sunday.
    [​IMG]

Updated: 2:39 a.m. ET Aug. 22, 2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach won the United States’ first world title in badminton Sunday night at the World Badminton Championships. (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9037620/)

7. chaitan

chaitan New Member

8. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

9. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

10. IndoAmerican

History should be printed on Front Page Newspapers

If you don't see any news about this historical event in your local newspaper front page today (which unfortunately I don't believe there is any in the US), I encourage everyone to write their local newspaper sport editor and voice your opinion. I just did it to the Orange County Register. This will hopefully further open the badminton awareness accross the USA.

11. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

Did the US Badminton organizers send out press releases and interview invitations?

seems like a good idea...

I wonder if the US organizers sent out any press releases/interview invitations with Tony/Howard? Perhaps they can also do a segment on badminton - history, second most popular sport in the WORLD, etc. And that it's a very fast-paced and rigorous sport, to debunk it's backyard/barbeque/leisurely image perceived by the US public. ;)

12. IndoAmerican

The Press Release is still not enough

I received a reply from the writer of the Orange County article covering WC; however, the writer doesn't get to decide what goes on the front page, the Sports Editor does. If the Sports Editor receives enough requests or at least hear that there are people out there (i.e. their readers) who cares about badminton, the next time there is a badminton news, especially as big as this one, wouldn't go unnoticed. I again encourage everyone to write an e-mail to the local newspapre Sports Editor asking them to give more credit to Badminton. Thanks!