Ow! I think I need a sticky-out bit.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Berny Ah, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Berny Ah

Berny Ah Regular Member

I hit my non-racquet hand with the butt of the racquet twice this evening, is that why some players have some of the grip sticking out over the butt?? Can you do that with e.g. Karakal PU Super Grip? Or only with a towel grip?

2. emilsmazais

emilsmazais Regular Member

Enthusiast
    Well, when wrapping a regular overgrip, you can overlap an additional time around the buttcap so that it overlaps it. Not so sure if it's possible with self-gluing PU grips though

3. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I've got to ask...

...how?!

No, with a towel grip there's often no tapered end so to start wrapping diagonally one approach is to overhang the butt, then to tidy the overhang you stick it to the butt cap covering the logo. (towel grip is adhesive right to the edges not just a centre strip like a PU grip)

Another approach with a towel grip is to start by sticking it across the logo on the butt cap then folding it as you start to wrap around the butt.

I doubt you could do the second one with a PU grip as it won't fold the same as towel but you could probably get a bit of overlap by doing what LCW does with the overgrip here:

Make sure you pull the first turn really tight to get it to 'hug' the edge of the butt cap.

#3 RichF, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

I have these bumpy grips with a strip of foam down the tape which gives it the ridge. I remove that foam and use it to build up the end of the cap without adding almost any weight.

I prefer a flare at the end because its easier to hold the racket at the bottom for overhead shots as it gives you a better idea of where the end is during play.

I see no downside of adding a small flare as long as it doesn't obstruct your swing and doesn't add much weight. It's quiet a nice addition IMO.

5. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I also prefer more of a 'flare' at the start - I used to build up the butt with off cuts of grip but then, many years ago, I was fortunate to receive coaching from Lee Jae Bok and noticed he built up the butt by simply going round it several times before doing the rest of the handle so that's what I've done ever since.

He shows this technique here: