Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2020 : Round of 32 to FINAL (11-15 March)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

CHN best hope at gold is CYF & ZhengHuang , imo. Not sure why ChenJia is WR1 , dont feel like they are consistent. I think CHN can get at least 2 golds.

2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I've just heard about new Corona infected cases in Malaysia. And now Malaysia have the most infected cases in South East Asia, it means Malaysia was not safe for Japan team or other teams to come and train.

What will they (Japan team) plan ?

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the examples.
    I don't think he has the best net play, or is particularly elite around the net, I just disagree with the statement that it's a glaring hole. Momota or Ginting instantly come to my mind as examples of players who are much better in that area, sure, but Momota is definitely one of the Top 3 in that regard imop (probably only outdone by a Ginting on a good day).
    Maybe we have different definitions of the term 'glaring holes' in the first place? I don't think an area a player is arguably in the Top15-20 in is a glaring hole, and I don't think a player with as many glaring holes in their game as you listed could achieve what VA has. They could win a one-off tournament, sure, especially if their weaknesses were something like being error- or risk-prone, but Victor has been too consistently good (when healthy) to be put off like that.
    Most (or all) of the areas you mentioned, hes weaker than Momota in, but that alone doesn't constitute a glaring hole in my book.

Side note - I'm not sure why you accuse me of condescension and then proceed to be more condescending than my first comment could possibly be interpreted as. The only condescending statement in my post is the 'do go on'. Sorry if that sentence hurt your feelings. I assure you that wasn't my intention.

rhoder and LenaicM like this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I concur. I feel like they are the favorites for the XD title and have a realistic chance for the WD one. They have very long shots for the WS and (even longer) MD ones, and almost no chance at the MS crown. I think they'd be somewhat lucky to get 2 Golds, and overall 3-4 medals (up to 2 in XD, 1 each in WS, WD could be achievable). 5 medals (+1 in MD) would be a surprisingly strong result for me, as would 2 Golds, tbh. But WD and WS are tumultuous right now, who knows whatll happen until Tokyo...

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

To describe VA's part of his game having glaring holes when he is a top player (won a WC and a bronze Olympic medal) doesn't sound right I agree with you.

He definitely has some weaknesses, some mentioned by cunning linguist, like any players but who doesn't... it's just part of their individual expression on court and choice of tactic/style of play.

Obviously attacking players will have different qualities than say more defensive ones and all around players. They might choose to highlight some part of their game and focus less on other aspects when playing against a specific player too. VA won the AE anyway so whatever he did (or choosed to do) worked.

6. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Also du sagst, dass du gleich in deinem ersten Satz herablassend warst, findest es nicht in Ordnung wenn du das zurückkriegst und machst dann trotzdem weiter mit "hurt feelings". Meine Gefühle sind nicht verletzt, danke der Nachfrage. Ich lasse mir nur von niemandem dumm kommen. Wie jeder andere hier poste ich meine Meinung, die gerne kritisiert werden darf, allerdings nicht so. Ich hoffe, wir lassen das jetzt hinter uns.

Maybe "glaring holes" was not a particularly accurate choice of words, but I think it is well understood that we're talking about the very best players in the world anyway, so of course non of the players is "bad".
    Also, my post was during Axelsen's match against LZJ (a really bad perfomance, imo), so it was naturally neither particularly scientific, reflected, or thought out. Yet, all the things I mentioned as his weaknesses were on display there, at least that was my impression during the game: nerves, bad serves, the high smash def, struggling with the drift, no great net shots.

As you can read in this very thread, I regard Axelsen as the second best player in the world. However, I also agree with an observation Steen once made - [paraphrasing] namely that some players had just "waited" for LCW and LD to grow old and that those players couldn't afford to rely on that status quo, because they were basically getting spanked by Momota post comeback. They would need to get to the gym and work on their wearknesses.

Until this day that observation holds true.
    In spite of his considerable talent, one of these players hasn't won anything since 2017 and has sadly faded away completely. The other is still very good, but hasn't won a single tournament in which his biggest "rival" was present.

As I also mentioned, this doesn't taint his titles at all. You can only ever beat the competition in front of you.
    What is also true is that his titles WT titles prior to this All England were two 500s with very weak fields/draws and two 300s in Europe. No 1000, no 750, no "harder" 500.
    That's not exactly stellar. And please don't take issue with my use of "stellar", now. :D
    He's very good, but not good enough to dominate.

rhoder, kurako, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  7. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

Thinking of the wd and MD Japanese pairs that won this weekend. Both are tremendous at defence. You guys think that's park joo bongs doing? Wasn't it that koreans were well known to have amazing defense? Maybe he is making them prioritize defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samkool likes this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    good point, and koreans still are known for defense.

'defense wins championships' is a mantra in all professional sports... but do not neglect the attack either.

Sumanth99 and Cheung like this.
  9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

EndoWatanabe is so goodd that they lost to ShettyRR consecutively at the end of last year..haha

EndoW should be wary in facing the towering Indians in the QF of Olympics first.

10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haha. or maybe Minions will meet Endo/Yuta in the quarter final.
    anyway it all depends on who play better on that day, who can handle the extra stress/pressure, who is injury free.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Realistic is one gold even the worst zero (if mixed doubles couldn't cope immense pressure), another slight hope is coming from women's doubles and women's singles, totally hopeless in men's category.

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Agree, who's more deserved being second best MS player than Axelsen? Consistency is the main factor that hard to do, a contrast result often happens for those names, won title at one tournament than knocked out directly at next event.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

True , it depends on the drawing but its unlikely EndoW will meet Minions in Tokyo. I'm sure 1 of them will be knocked out first.

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haiz, with Minions' poor record in big major, i share your sentiment that they might not last long. ;)

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not that poor, so so.. reach 3 AE Final, won 2, reach 2 QFs WC. won AG. Olympic , we ll see. Though i dont think it will be held this year.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ah, back again. Better behave yourself.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good.md. kevin shoulder sore with the smashes.

18. extremenanopowe

Power and skill wise. Fhf vs lyd is better. :)

19. extremenanopowe

Skill deception is kkk. Tbh power.

20. extremenanopowe

Kevin is speed. Japan lucky with good defence on the day.