Praveen Jordan / Melati Daeva Oktavianti

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by ebcd, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Hence why Goh V Shem and Praveen smashes look faster and more crisp than the smash of Sonoda for example.

But do we have a number for the smash speed of Praveen?

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Looking at the Sea Games individual event schedule, the final will be on 9th.
    Assuming that Jordan/Oktavi is through to Final in Sea Games, then they will fly straight to Guangzhou to play in WTF two days later? That's quite a bit too tight, isn't it? o_O Is it really necessary for them to play in Sea Games and not Hafiz/Widjaja?

===============

[​IMG]
    WATCH OUT FOR JORDAN/OKTAVIANTI – MIXED DOUBLES PREVIEW
    WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2019
    TEXT BY DEV SUKUMAR | BADMINTONPHOTO

After months of promising to land a big title, things finally fell in place for Praveen Jordan and Melati Daeva Oktavianti in October.

[​IMG]

When the Indonesian pair found their groove, they landed not one, but two titles – that too, in successive weeks – the Denmark Open and the French Open.

During a season that was for the most part dominated by Zheng Si Wei/Huang Ya Qiong and Wang Yi Lyu/Huang Dong Ping, Jordan and Oktavianti’s two-week run elevated them to a level alongside the big-stage achievers. What was noteworthy about their performance in Europe was that they beat Zheng/Huang and Wang/Huang in the two finals; indeed, in Denmark, they beat both pairs during the week. After falling in four finals this year, it was a strong statement by the Indonesians that they wouldn’t be relegated to the ranks of the also-rans.

“If we look back from the beginning of the year until the French Open, we had entered the finals of different levels – Super 300, 500 and 750. The finals in Denmark Open and French Open happened to be our peak and gave us the breakthrough,” says Jordan.

Did beating Zheng and Huang in the Denmark Open quarterfinal, after six straight losses, prove to be the turnaround that they were looking for?

“All of this is part of a process of improvement,” says Jordan. “If you look back to the All England, we were actually very close to beating Zheng Si Wei and Huang Ya Qiong. Our previous matches were always straight games losses, so it was progress for us.

“At the beginning of the year, we met Wang Yi Lyu and Huang Dong Ping three times but lost all three. We found our peak in October and managed to perform well. It was really difficult to beat them, but we also want to have titles and not be content with finishing in finals.”

Jordan and Oktavianti are in only their second year together. Jordan earlier had a moderately successful stint with Debby Susanto, while Oktavianti was with Ronald Alexander, and briefly with Alian Eko Prasetya.

[​IMG]

Early in their partnership that began in 2018, Jordan and Oktavianti were runners-up at the India Open and finished the season ranked No.15. They have continued on the upward trajectory this season, breaking into the top 5.

“We think that the ‘click’ in the partnership is important,” says Oktavianti. “The core of the partnership is already there; there are small elements that are important as we are playing doubles, such as team spirit and communication. As long as we have good communication and support each other, things will surely will work out. We have found the right formula. Having become champions now, we know how to prepare ourselves better, be confident, and not let ego get between each other.”

While Jordan/Oktavianti are among the favourites, here are the other top contenders:

Zheng Si Wei/Huang Ya Qiong – Will be going for a ‘Super Grand Slam’ as they have won all three Super 1000 events and the World Championships. The World Tour Finals is the only big event missing from their resume.

Wang Yi Lyu/Huang Dong Ping – Through the early season, picked up the top-tier titles that eluded Zheng/Huang, including the India Open, Badminton Asia Championships, and Japan Open.

Dechapol Puavaranukroh/Sapsiree Taerattanachai – This was their breakthrough year, as they won the Singapore Open, followed by the Korea Open.

Yuta Watanabe/Arisa Higashino – Started and finished the season well, with titles at the Malaysia Masters and Hong Kong Open, but also endured rough patches in between.

Source : https://bwfworldtourfinals.bwfbadmi...-for-jordan-oktavianti-mixed-doubles-preview/

#42 yuquall, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Congratulations on their Sea Games gold.

They have been drawn in the same group with
    Group B
    Zheng SW/Huang YQ (CHN)
    Jordan/Oktavianti (INA)
    Faizal/Widjaja (INA)
    Watanabe/Higashino (JPN)

It's all touch and go with the other pairs. They should have positive head to head against Faizal/Widjaja by now. As for the other two, all the best :D

4. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

SEA Games 2019 Gold Medal

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

By losing to Faizal/Widjaja, Pramel is taking their teammates down with them. It might as well go home early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well.. they had just won Sea Games gold exactly 2 days ago. I had expected as much.
    Didn't watch their match yesterday so I can't say how they form has been in this tournament.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They are out of WTF. Wonder if it was wise to have them played Sea Games just before this or if they (both INA team and the players) think the gold was worth it.
    Personally, I think they should've been made focused on this instead. Regardless how they would have done if they had more time to prepare.

Anyhow, apart from the unforced errors, I think Melati is more and more becoming a "weight" to this partnership. Whether it was physical attribute or fatigued, she seemed to be slower than any female players. After their back to back win in Europe, no way the other opponents going to let this off. :cool:

8. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

you people are too harsh on Melati. Was Debby much better? I don’t think so.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

And if I say yes, would you compare her to Natsir too?
    She is slow and let's say not an ideal weight for an athlete in one of the fastest sport. She's now a part of top 5 pair. No body would have cared if they were some 30+ ranked pair.

Was Debby better? Yes.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Getting 500million rupiah. I dont think they will turn that down for WTF. For the amount of money vs the competition. They still can be 3rd and proof a thorn in ZhengHuang armory. It will be nice if they can beat ZH 3x in a row however there is gulf of difference (Despite 5th or 6th vs 1st, its 2 levels below MD). This isnt EndoW vs Minions. The quality is still further than that.

Gotta agree that Melati is too slow but Praveen will do anything to win her heart, you see. Even WYL is attracted to her.

11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Their achievement is already comparable to what Jordan achieved with Debby.

Debby might be slightly more consistent, but she has no punch either. Widjaja reminds me of Debby. This pair is always gonna be about Jordan. If Jordan can be more consistent, that will have bigger impact than Melati losing a few pounds (I’m not saying she shouldn’t lose a few pounds)

12. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Was Melati slimmer as a junior? She was quite successful as a junior, right? But her partner later got injured.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I was talking about her mobility on court. Melati needs to be faster to respond and to move behind the shuttle. If she is able to do that without losing any weights then great. But so far, she can only reach whatever within her arm reach on the spot. She's good when she can reach the shuttle to intercept or set Praveen up, but can she? Many times she would just stand still and Jordan literally played all over the court.

Btw, Widjaja is useless despite being slim and tall, to be honest. I don't usually criticise players appearance but being too slow in double is just so unacceptable.

14. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    Totally agree with you, we don't meant to body shame anyone. In fact if Melati wasn't an athlete this conversation wouldn't happen in the first place, since she' not fat for an average woman. I believe that for an athlete to be able to play with his/ her best ability, one need to improve every aspect of their game including getting better physically. I always think that lots of Indonesian players, especially women players seems to be lacking in this area.

On the other hand, Gloria is slim and tall but she's lacking the necessary muscle to be explosive on the court.

15. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Who is WYL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Feels like Praveen/Melati is the only pair able to consistently trouble Zheng/Huang. Hope they rest well and able to give us more battles next year!

17. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

don’t really need punch in female Xd player....for what....the opponent female.is.trained to receive male’s smashes and the male ...no need.to say...so punch.for what....even higashino nowadays is.being focused.on.defense...

better be like debby...she would drop or smash a little then rush to come forward.....lately don’t even see this with fat melati....ridiculous....

now.if.the reason is becoz.fat melati feels more comfortable playing with extra fat n weight n can’t play well with narrower skirt or less weight then in that case i’ve got nothing to say except good luck in olympics.....

n btw gloria is.just useless...better pair hafiz with someone else...

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Contrary to their colleagues, i dont think Pramel is the type that can win SS in consistent basis but 2 SSP is not bad.

Playing at Olympics in Japan, they have a good chance to medal , Praveen has 1 of the best attack in a slow hall it will be hard for anyone to kill any shuttle. If Melati can improve her defence, think they can medal in OG.

I hope they can win AE or reach Final ( almost did last year) it will boost their confidence to stratosphere if they can win AE. Without a resolute AhmadNatsir, i thought PraDeb will have chance to win Rio2016:

19. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Congratulations on their AE win! Didn’t meet Zheng/Huang but beat world #2, #3 and the host pair, a remarkable feat!

btw, Praveen was naughty in the semi, after hearing Smith complaining about him taking too long to serve, he (apparently) deliberately held his serve the next time he faced her. Then after the umpire’s warning, he made a super quick serve That earned a yellow card but the whole process was really funny.

20. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member