Comfort for my play.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Iskela, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Iskela

Iskela New Member

Hello BadmintonCentral!

I am a beginner player from the small country of a thousand lakes, Finland. Our country doesn't have the biggest badminton community, and it is hard for me to find anyone to ask these things about.

So anyway. I have been playing for like a month or two, and I am hooked. I do have a nice racket with me right now, but as I am looking for my playstyle, I have come to the conclusion that my current one isn't the one for me.

I am looking for a more comfortable racket for my play style. Something that I can upgrade on when I've improved on my play.

I like my grip smooth and soft. I'm looking for a balance on performance and durability. Maybe even more on the performance side, as I am not one to destroy my rackets.

As to what kind of a player I am. Even if I'm a beginner, I am really serious about this. I have an aim to be able to join tournaments. I train for at least 3 times a week on court and off court I try to do at least 2 workouts per week. As I said, I'm still looking for my playstyle. But right now I think that I'm more on the balanced side. I do like my smashes, but I also play around the net a lot. I'd like some recommendations on rackets that I can still look on after like a year. Because I'm gonna use my current racket for sometime still. The budget could be 150£.

Thanks in advance!

2. r10sai.tm

r10sai.tm New Member

Welcome to the badminton world mate..
    Firstly I'd suggest, if you can upload a video of one of your games, to get more info on your play style to make proper judgement, that'd be great.

But if you are looking for a overall racket, there are multiple options.

Do you mind head heavy, or do you prefer even balanced.
    How good are your smashes, clears and precision?
    Singles or doubles?
    If doubles - front or back court?

Only if we know this, we can give an honest suggestion, IMO.

PS - if you are new and learning, don't mind the racket honestly.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

Iskela likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For 1 or 2 month experience, i think its not the time to get a new racket as (u mention urself) you still looking for your style. Unless ofcourse u did common beginner mistake buying an expensive high end used by pro player you like & you feel uncomfort or pain during your training. For example a very unforgiving racket ZF series.
    Any racket that is 3U/4U, balance to slight head heavy racket, flex to medium flex, with 20-22lbs string tension would serve you good.
    So better improve your basic skill 1st rather than finding another new racket as you wouldnt notice any different from each racket & as the times goes, you can borrow friend racket to have a taste how it feel. Its kinda more economical way rather than buying new racket only to find it didnt suit you & then you spend some money again to find another one.
    Use whatever money you had for those racket for a coach that can guide you in the correct path.

Iskela likes this.
  4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Ideally, you would try many different rackets with many different specifications. However this is often hard to accomplish. Rackets can be expensive, and strings and tension can make a difference as well which can confuse the issue as to what makes the racket feel the way that it does.

Definitely don't get too eager and jump on a racket you kind of like, simply because you're eager to upgrade on your current racket. It's possible there are other rackets that feel even better in your hands.

Also don't be blinded by price. A 50 £ racket which specs suited to you will play far, far better than a 150 £ racket with specs you don't like. Finding the specs that you like, and then finding the strings and tension that you like is unfortunately a process of trail and error and will likely cost time and money. I would advise you to not splurge on a racket, but rather try different rackets with different specs.

Don't look at brand, don't look at flashy scientific marketing terms. Look at weight, balance, and flexibility of the rackets. Finetuning those factors until the racket feels wonderful when you play with it will improve your play far, far more than a £ 150 "Wonder-brand Super-speed-fibre hyper-power-system racket" ever will. In the end your hand will tell you what feels best.

And to add to that, finding your perfect racket in turn will make an insignificant difference in your quality of play compared to the improvement of footwork and shot technique.

As to what kind of player you are. That question will answer itself with time. Few players make a conscious decision to be a certain kind of player. Rather, they develop their technique, fitness etc. and over the course of playing many matches find that certain strategies work best for them.

Players work with what they have. In my youth I was small and weak, but had a good technique and unlimited energy, so I used to grind people down with superior technique and footwork. Then I grew up and suddenly I had some serious explosive speed and a cannon for a smash, this raised my level, but it takes more energy to sustain such an explosive playstyle. Before I wanted to have rallies last as long as possible because I knew I would outlast my opponents stamina wise, but now I want to end it as quickly as possible to preserve energy in case I need it later. Players develop and the tools they have determine what kind of player they become.

Iskela likes this.
  5. Iskela

Iskela New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it a lot. As to what my concurrent racket is, it's a Yonex Voltric power crunch.

I'll use the racket for now. I'll come back when I know more about my playstyle.

Cheung likes this.
  6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I agree with what others have said above, a £50 racquet to suit your ability/style will serve you much better...and once you've found it you can spend another £50 on a second one - always good to have a matching backup for when you break a string :)