Arrogance in Badminton...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Rob3rt, Oct 30, 2018.

1. KHALID81

KHALID81 New Member

The thing is, I don't mind playing with someone who is better than me provide he is not showboating too much to the point of humiliating others. The problem is, most of this upper level players not only doing that but also have this arrogant face while playing. It's not like we playing competitive match, smile a little bit won't hurt you know.

2. KHALID81

KHALID81 New Member

This is a good approach imo. But how about when you play with/against a higher level than yours? What is the best mentality to have?

3. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

To maintain the best possible form/technique and accuracy under pressure.

Keep the rally going as long as possible, don't look for risky winners. Don't attempt trick shots or deception. Play the best percentage/chance shot available.

I'm talking from the assumption that you are prioritising improvement over winning.

KHALID81 likes this.
  4. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Yes , I am also of the opinion that the arrogant players are found generally in lower or intermediate levels . Approximately 5 years ago .
    I was in my village where I got a chance to play a tournament there . There was no separate categories for different age groups ,so I had to opt for open level . My sister told me that there' d be not much competition for you if you will face opponents of your age .
    But when I went to play my first round match , I saw that my opponent was approximately 4-5 years bigger than me . I thought that I have to face a crushing defeat. But then also, I played that match . Initially ,he made lead by 2-0 but soon I realized that though he was bigger than me in age and size , his level was far below .
    Soon , I took lead by 7-2 and finished the game by 21-11 .
    In meantime , my sister told me that you are not playing according to your level , you can do far better . This made me realize that how much points I had given as freebies to him . The next game I played more focused . As a result , the scoreline improved to a greater extent . I got up by 2-0 , then 7-0 then 15-2 and finally , I crushed him by 21-3 . I stamped on the floor blissfully . Then I again looked at him , I was barely reaching to his shoulders even . This made me more delighted . But when I went to shake hands with him , his frustration was apparently seen . He did not behaved with me properly , threw his racket and went away . I think he was frustrated less by his defeat and more by a defeat from 4-5 years smaller lad. He arrived with a mindset of just throwing a 13 year old kid but when that 13 year old kid handed him perhaps his worst defeat ever, he couldn't digest it.
    As my sister said, that tournament proved out to be a no competition for me. I won the tournament quite comprehensively. In final, I defeated my opponent by 21-5 21-3 and in semis , I thrashed my opponent by 21-3 21-1. Almost, all the opponents were 4-5 years bigger than me. But no one behave like above. They appreciated me accepted their defeat.

#44 Heer, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. Heer

Heer Regular Member

#45 Heer, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Isn't this the same arrogant mentality we are talking bout? People enter competitions which are below their standards to thrash other players to look good? I don't know where you live or play, but I normally don't enter tournaments below my standard. Also your blissfully stamping after an easy opponent can be taken as really rude. After a tough match with alot of emotions like a rollercoaster I can understand such actions, but come on you thrash an opponent totally and celebrate yourself like playing a serious opponent. I can fully understand how your opponent felt and tells me more about you than your opponent.

7. Heer

Heer Regular Member

You are misunderstanding me . I was thirteen years old that time and I hadn't defeated my opponent by such a big difference even in my age group . By defeating a player four or five years elder than me in such a fashion , my childish mind got delighted because although I was earlier told that I will not face any strong competition, when I saw my opponents more muscular, stronger and bigger than me, I hadn't expected that I would be able to defeat them by a scoreline of 21-3, 21-4 or like that. I was the smallest child in the tournament and even then I vanquished them all by a whooping margin gave me a lot of happiness, that's why I jumped on the floor.
    But if any such condition arises today , like you ,I would also play tournament which is according to my standard and even if I defeats any player by such a margin , I would definitely doesn't react like that.

#47 Heer, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  8. Heer

Heer Regular Member

And now let's come on to the point of arrogance . I have played several high voltage games , several won and several lost . But both of us never behaved liked that . I have also suffered from such big defeats , but never threw my racket . Moreover , yesterday was the semifinal of World tour finals ,a very high voltage match which even went to twenty five points in one game . But after match , none of the player threw her racket .
    It is very rare in badminton even in big matches . Defeat means you have to improve not you have to show your anger .

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Well, you totally misunderstand what arrogance means. You enter a tournament, beat a guy in one set safe, but this wasn't enough for you so you needed to make the difference between him and you much bigger and celebrate this like you beat Lin Dan. This was a first match in a group state for reference and not a Knock out round. Serious, this is so damn harsh and you call his racket throwing arrogant? You really did something wrong which caused anger of your opponent. Your opponent was not arrogant, you offended him by celebrate an easy go match against an opponent how never had a chance to win.

LD rules! and seanc6441 like this.
  10. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Have to say I agree with this. Poor control over emotions and arrogance may be confused at times but both are different things.

The opponent showed no control over his emotion, but celebrating a 21-3 victory like that could be considered a bit arrogant or disrespectful to the opponent.

Then again at junior level this is not uncommon, I expect adults to know better and I'm sure you are more respectful now than when you were 13.

I will never judge a player who shows happy emotions after a victory or angery/disappointed emotions after losing. But moderation is key and it's not cool to intentionally exaggerate just to show off to the opponent or the crowd...

I've thrown my racket a few times after shaking hands with the opponent once I got to the seating area out of frustration with my performance in my youth. But I would always feel bad about it and try to improve my composure for the next game. Stuff happens that we cannot control but we try our best.

I'd argue that it's more healthy to show a littleemotion if you need to than to just hold it in (onltly after the game not during) But respecting the opponent during play and when shaking hands is important.

#50 seanc6441, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Cheung likes this.
  11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Agree with you here. Quite common here that a few leagues are put together in one group at tournaments. So if you are in one of the higher leagues you get some easy group matches or even quarter finals before the level of play increases drastically. So it's not that unusual that score lines with single digits occur - even when you are not giving 100 %. But you just go on with it and don't celebrate like you achieved something great. Celebrating or shouting is okay, IF you try to encourage yourself or win a hard fought match/rally, but not when you obliterate a much weaker opponent. :rolleyes: But like the poster said, he was a kid back then, so it's only partly his fault.

ucantseeme likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Isn't this just a matter of finding the right group on the same wavelength?

I have had clubs where I don't feel I'm fitting in very well and moved on. Its nothing to do with the level of play.

13. Heer

Heer Regular Member

If you are saying it that my emotions after winning the match had hurted him and its it is true then in this case , I am sorry . I posted here just to strengthen the opinion that arrogance is found mostly in junior level badminton .

#53 Heer, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. Heer

Heer Regular Member

But somehow , in today's even , I don't feel the incident of racquet thrown by him right . If I or someone else in our academy tried to do such type of activities , that also in front of sir ,he would definitely scold or punish us , no matter what's the scoreline or who is the opponent , and he had done this after getting defeated that's why I am recalling this incident because this is prohibited here .

15. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Our coach says that always try to defeat your opponent by the biggest margin possible ,look even for 21-0 21-0 victory . That's why he fixes our matches with both strong as well as weak players . He says that some minor emotions are acceptable but major ones are not . And I feels that this one was a major one . I have witnessed very less situations like this . We are advised always to respect our opponent. .
    And as I have mentioned before that stamping on the floor was my childish behaviour because I was a child and second thing , he was looking much bigger and stronger than me . I was not reaching even to his shoulders and I hadn't defeated a player bigger than me by such a scoreline like 21-3 and at that time I was not thinking about whether the match was easy or tough for me , that's why I grew quite excited but if I win by this scoreline today , i would definitely don't do this .

#55 Heer, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  16. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

In most cases, a 21-3 game is meaningless and has nothing to celebrate for or fret about. I have had many games where I can reach 15, but still felt that the opponent is clear a level higher than myself. Go look for a game at your level, that will be far more rewarding than worrying about proper etiquette at a 21-3 game.

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Everything in moderation. Celebrate or frustrate not to the point of disrespecting or humiliating one another because the tables could be turned.

Never burn bridges. You never know. =)

LenaicM likes this.
  18. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I still cant think where is the fun from slaughtering a kitten that makes me over excited to it.
    I play in company group tournament yearly (celebrating our independence day) where we play agains other company. I can say below quarter final, there is not much challange to it as many of the company have no decent player but still sending their player just to celebrate with us. Still after slaughtering them, match after match until quarter final i cant get excited at all. Maybe im the wierd oneo_O