The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I don't know what to believe here. Is it the string or the stringer? A guinness book of crappiest string job I've had so far.
    "Stringer" said my brand new Zymax 64TX must be faulty when he strung it at 26 lbs! Even told me it can't be him as he's been stringing
    for 12 years now, but my lord, just look at those knots that he did when he said he had to remedy it when it snapped while on the machine.

In picture 6 I had to cut the string from outside as it is locked by the 2 knots on both ends.

What gives here?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      208 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      222.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      384.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      192.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      382 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      183.6 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
  2. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

No, it can’t be the string at 26lbs! A good stringer can do misstakes sometimes, but if then he should be honest about it. In this case i think he should take a closer look at the machines gripper and the clamps if he has problem wile stringing. And the knots are just bad and overdone. 12 years of stringing is not an argument to be innocent, just a bad try to leave the mess. I would go for another stringer!

s_mair likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Please tell me it's not still the same guy that butchered your AX88...

Clearly it's the stringer's fault again with that latest issue. The string seems to have a weak outer layer which makes it vulnerable when tying knots too hard. LN1 also shares that issue to a certain extent.

As @Super85 already said, your other stripped bits could result from the gripper or clamps or maybe it got damaged inside the grommets. Anyways, it seems to be a very fragile string too.

thyrif likes this.
  4. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I've used 64tx to string at 26lbs and 27lbs on three different racquets, and I've not run into any problems like that. Zymax strings are best for stringing high tension, so I wouldn't blame the string. The only thing faulty here is that lying stringer of yours. Is this the work of that same genius stringer who strung your ax88s with a missing grommet? I would choose a different stringer ASAP .

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

If you think No 1 has a weaker outer layer, you're damn lucky that you never tried and strung R4X110. :D

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

A lot of twisting and turning can bee seen on the knot, my guess is the string pre weaved the racket and pull the string through after tensioning with plier. Sometime when string passes through the share holes, some twisting will happen and can be easily corrected if stringer string and pull one string at a time, it would be disaster for pre weaved racket when the twisting and turning carry on to the next hole and could end up like the knot you showed.

Time to invest a machine.

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

This is clearly Badmintony's fault! Whoever still takes their rackets to the stringer is to blame.

Of course, it can happen that a string breaks when you use it for the first time. But then the stringer must take this clearly on his cap and start again. Either he can adjust his clamps correctly for the string or he has to say that he cannot string this string.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. badmintony

No, he isn't the stringer who almost murdered my AX88S. This guy who messed up my 64TX works in the same shop where I thought I've finally found a good stringer, but he's another guy, an older one and not the younger one who always string my rackets there. I think the younger one is on vacation now and so this other guy is doing the job at the shop and my first time with him. Unfortunately for me, I realized he was worse than the first guy who did my AX88S. So I really had no way of knowing how crappy this stringer turned out to be.

When I saw the string job, it was still uncut and as you can see, it seemed like he ran out of string that's why there are unstringed grommets at the upper part of the racket. I was literally stunned upon seeing it, and at first can't figure out those white filaments(?)or something that showed which at first I thought were extra white strings that were connected to the orange ones. I had quite a heated talk with him as I even felt that he was giving me some lame alibi probably thinking that I know nothing at all about strings and tensions. in the end, the shop has to reimbursed the cost of labor and just convinced me to replace the 64Tx with a BG65Ti:mad:

9. badmintony

You're absolutely right about this.

10. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Jeezzz... That's BAD...
    I've strung 64TX at close to 29lbs and have never had any issue with the outer layer.. Didn't even realise they supposedly had a weak outer layer.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Do it!

Or how many times do you want to add another stringing horror story in here? Okay, maybe you will produce some horror of your own, but at least then you could learn from it and improve!

badmintony likes this.
  12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

That knot....

13. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    There is some very dodgy side support action going on in this video...

Personally I'd never dream of loosening any supports until the job is finished!

thyrif, Super85 and s_mair like this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What the hell? I mean.... duuuuhhh.... whaaaa?

Is he seriously removing the side supports to get better access to the frame?! I mean, in theory you could even discuss removing the lower side supports once the crosses are in like halfway up or so, but removing them before the first crosses are in? Darn it. Might be better to ignore them completely and go full-on 2-point ghetto style tbh.

Wow, what a find!

15. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

For a video on Youtube this is not really great. If it's only 10kg it doesn't matter and he could have left the side supports completely.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    OMG and these big tennis supports or such a thin frame...that must be very sneaky comedy.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You only need to add the Benny Hill theme in the background and it’s comedy gold!

18. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Hahaha! So true!

Question: Are my friend a psychically hopeless case if he’s laughing so much he lose his breath after this (it is definitely not me)! ;)

19. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

:D Yakety Sax! It's always this or the Muppets theme that have been my phones ringtone. OMG, that's 20 years of phone ringtones!

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's slightly concerning tbh. So you have to be really careful not to show *cough* him *cough* this one since it could actually kill him I'm afraid: