Racquet Force swing weight...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by visor, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

TC70/N7ii is almost at that spec, has a swing weight of 87, 3U, but on the lighter side (87 grams).

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    But visor wants 4U *shrug*

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

4. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Maybe you don't want a Duora or an older racket... but the 10 LT 4U is 87.

Attached Files:

visor likes this.
  5. Derry Permana Yusuf

Derry Permana Yusuf New Member

Very interesting topic

#25 Derry Permana Yusuf, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. presiden

presiden New Member

Based on my list, If you are looking for 4U and around 87 swing weight, you can see

Mizuno - Fortius 10Q (Stiff 4U/87.5/303BP)
    Victor - Thruster K F Claw Platinum (Medium Stiff 4U/86.5/300BP)
    Victor - Thruster K Boxer (Very Stiff/4U/87/305BP)
    Victor - Thruster K Onigiri U (Balance/4U/87.5/305BP)

Also consider
    Mizuno - Fortius 10P (Stiff/4U/88/305BP)
    Yonex - LD Force (Stiff/4U/89/305BP)
    Since those rackets can generate more swing weight with similar balance point

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie, Coolkas and visor like this.
  7. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

Hello, does this information exist for 3U yonex rackets?

8. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Does weight class matter much if you are focusing on swing weight? If you are looking for racket of X swing weight then the only difference can be weight situated around the handle area to make a a racket fall into 3u or 4u category. the difference can only be a few grams at most because too much would surely change the swing weight. Plus the choice of grip can easily balance out the wight difference.

So a racket of 87 +/- 0.5 gram swing weight if either 3u or 4u must be almost the exact same weight above the handle area so would feel very similar in that regard.

Although I guess if a handle was heavier it may affect your speed of racket handling overall. I know for myself through testing that if I add a heavier grip to my Z strike like Karakal Super Grip I don't have the same maneuverability as I would with a light overgrip and a few layers of cushion wrap as the weight goes from 91-92g up to 95-96g.

#28 seanc6441, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  9. EpicBlue

EpicBlue Regular Member

Based on my experience, adding weight to the handle won't affect swing weight much. Adding 8g to the handle may only increase less than 0.5 to the swing weight.

10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Weight class matters even if you look at swing weight. Try a Arcsaber 11 and Fortius 10P for example. 2 very different rackets that don't play the same despite similar swing weights. If anything the 10P probably plays a bit slower due to the box frame and head heavy balance despite the 4U weight.

11. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Yup that's my point. But I can see how having an overall heavier weight would affect racket handling too and also your personal weight preference is kind of important. But weight in the handle can be modded slightly with different grips and even removing some material from the inside of the handle if you are into racket modding.

Personally I really enjoy playing with light 3u rackets, but I'm sure a heavy 4u will play very similarly provided the swing weight is close.

Currently my DZS 3u 92g with string and grip feels 'right' to me. But If I use my 4u Zf2 with a heavier karakal PU Supergrip the weight is around 91g and the head weight is extremely similar overall. At least in feeling.

I would love to know the swing weight of Duora z strike 3u though, and 4u ZF2 for that matter.

12. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

But isn't that the racket design coming into play? I understand the difference is there but if you have a heavy 4u and a light 3u with almost identical swing weight then the difference has got to be all in the handle and thus changing between grip types will have a bigger effect on the racket than the weight class itself.

For instance using towel grip over PU overgrip might add like 8-10g extra weight to the handle alone and have a much bigger impact than just its weight class designation alone. You could run two identical rackets and have a 10g difference by string and grip choice alone.

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    That's my point exactly. You can't just compare A to B due to spec design differences. Now you talk about heavy 4U and light 3U but there in lies the crux (to me) of whether they actually have the same swing weight at all? In order to find that both specs would have to overlap in several areas before you can even get the same numbers I would imagine.

If you want to go down that road then my only question is do you want to afford that money to do so? The process of experimenting just because you want to find that particular spec when it probably is cheaper to just up your game and muscular strength to compensate.

Don't get me wrong. I love crunching the numbers and their relation to our equipment a smuch as the next OCD guy here. But I think there comes a point also whereby it isn't a necessity to do it every time you want a new racket.

When I switched to the NF800 as a main tbh I was kinda all over the place on racket choice partly due to long term injury and partly trying to settle on a new main. I will never stop trying new stuff until I physically am unable to but my point is that sometimes you just gotta try and see if it works

speCulatius likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Interesting... @Ch1k0 what's the dry specs of your NF800?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Legit I don't remember LOL. To be fair I went to it because of my wrist injury from my e-scooter fall and my shoulder problem. I can try weigh it now but it's long out of dry spec. I can however weigh my 3UG6 JP coded piece if you want me to. That's my 4th piece but I haven't strung it up yet so it's in pure stock condition. The other 3 were used or bought during release so I already turned in into my usual setup.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

For the sake of science, yes please!

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Alright. I'll do it when I get home tonight.

visor likes this.
  18. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Of course you'd have to get the data or measure rackets yourself, I never claimed just any old heavy 4u and light 3u rackets have a similar swing weight. I claimed that any racket with a similar swing weight wouldn't necessarily have to be in the same weight class yet would still delivery a similar swing and obviously the force upon shuttle impact would be similar too (aside from aerodynamics and stiffness of course as they effect the swing too).

Now I'm wondering if the rackets aerodynamics have any influence on the swing weight? Does more air resistance mean lower swing weight or higher? or does it not effect it at all. hmm....

19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Of course. I didn't mean to imply explicitly that you're claiming it in such a fashion. I definitely don't know enough to determine if aerodynamics at such a level are going to heavily affect swing weight data significantly. Your question definitely produces an interesting brain teaser though. I'm of the opinion that may it does but at a smaller scale on the data. But in real play aerodynamics make a bigger difference at pleb level than expected.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

After having used Fortius 10 Power for 2 weeks, I can echo that poor aerodynamics can affect your swing speed. And I'd imagine the faster the swing, the greater the resistance, ie goes up by the square of the speed.