Thoughts on this string job, what pattern is it?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Asmo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Hi, first post but I've been lurking here a while. Finally received my black Friday purchase a Li-Ning Aeronaut 9000. Ordered directly from li-ning.eu and strung by them with no1 at 11,5kg (25lbs). Granted I don't know a lot about stringing but I think the string job looks a bit weird so I wonder what you experts' opinion are on it? I see it's a one piece but what pattern is it? Mostly thinking about the long jumps over 6 and 5 holes on each side respectively looking strange?

Also what made me a little suspicious was that the excess string at the knots were a good 5mm longer than what you see in the pictures. Clearly sticking out above the frame. Which I thought looked really sloppy so I trimmed them down a bit which I hope was ok. :)

But like I said I don't know much about stringing so this might all be perfectly normal. I haven't played yet with the racket (tomorrow!) but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong per se. The frame shape looks fine comparing to my other racket and the string tension was measured with stringster as 10,8kg which was above my expectation for no1 4 days after stringing after having read it being notorious for having a big initial tension drop. Of course I don't know what it actually was strung at but assuming it was my requested 11,5kg.

Hope the pictures work here on the forum and are decent.
    IMG_20191206_200744-small.jpg IMG_20191206_215842-small.jpg IMG_20191206_220025-small.jpg

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    quite interesting. it looks like a one piece, 50/50 mains, 50/50 cross pattern. If anything it will play better than regular Yonex pattern.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, i take that back. it may just be a standard 1 piece.

though that 1 piece 50/50 idea, might be onto something. :)

4. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Ok :) Thanks for the help, at least it doesn't look like a bad job that I should be worried about then.

The way the string at the knots were cut really long and I couldn't find any pattern that seemed to match had me a bit worried it might have been done by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Though one would hope the official Li-Ning distributor would have someone string their rackets that knows how to do it correctly... but you never know.

5. Thang Nghiem

Thang Nghiem Regular Member

If the tension isn't decreasing too much after a few days, it's fine. The stringer was indeed a little sloppy in his work, probably trying to move on to the next racket faster, by cutting the knots too long, not checking to move back the string that was pushed out of the grommets, and straighten the bows on string bed. But you can fix those small issues yourself easily.

6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

The stringing fits and 0.5kg of weight is lost in 24 hours without playing. After a week with a few hours of play, 1kg less is also normal.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I disagree here. just look at the untensioned string segment which runs outside over 6 holes and on the other side over 5 holes!!! A good job means to me that nothing runs more about one skipped hole. Skipping 5-6 holes untensioned will never be anything which is close to my quality standards. The tie off at the bottom could sit closer to the bottom cross. Why B6 and not B8? This slack can't be pulled well out by the knot. I disagree here with kwun, the YY pattern is far better than such crap of long segments which run untensioned on the outside of a thrid of the frame.

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  8. BadBadmintonPlayer

Certainly not perfect, but it is "only" 2 knots and the loss of tension is completely within limits. So it can't be that wrong.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Ever thought that OP didn't measured right off the machine compared to now? An assumption about tension loss without involving the first day are worthless to rate the quality of a job. My settled stringing jobs even didn't drop a ¼ of 1lbs between a few days. And the measurements of stringster are far from accurate and more on the higher side. Stringster is not a realiable app for measuring tension. My jobs are regular 2lbs higher on stringster and trust me my Wise is accurate. Regardless what any app says this is crappy and sloppy work to skip a half douzen holes.

Offtopic: Where is the dislike button?@ralphz here an example of nonsense. ;)

10. BadBadmintonPlayer

He wanted to have 11.5kg and he got it with normal losses. It's a fact!

I only string according to the Yonex stringing patterns and in my case Stringster always shows exactly the right value for the BG65. 0.5kg is always lost in the first 24 hours and after a week and a few hours of playing it is always 1kg less. Then it settles down.

Maybe you're doing something wrong? But only 0.125kg loss after 24 hours is not possible without significant pre-stretching. How do you calibrate your machine?

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    It's a fact that stringster is inaccurate. Ask anybody here. So an inaccurate app produce accurute measurements to get called facts? Sorry that's rubbish.

BG65, the string which defines tension loss loose 0.5kg in the first 24 hours and 1kg after a week of play? That's so wrong and impossible. Just beeing right for one string don't mean that it is always accurate.

Indeed. It's me not the inaccurate app. Makes totally sense.

Never wrote it. If the string was settled (BG80) it dropped a few Hz. within days. But yeah indeed I made here also something wrong and calibrated my machine wrong. I string since yesterday that's the reason why most people here who string as well drop me a PM when they have questions or want to discuss.

@ralphz Do you now understand what I mean? :D Arguments are useless against morons.

#11 ucantseeme, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  12. BadBadmintonPlayer

Are you trying to misunderstand me?

Stringster is not always correct, but in my case the results always match the BG65 string. Comparison for example to hz. Also I have calibrated my machine. LiNing No.1 is also known for a high initial tension loss and therefore I only said that 10.8kg is completely ok if you asked for 11.5kg.

I still don't think that the stringing from the first post is that bad. Only two knots instead of 4 knots and these two knots are certainly not perfect. Does it get better? Yes! Is this a big mistake? No! I don't even think you can feel the difference when you play the game.

Play and have fun with this string!

13. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Hi, OP here. I'm surprised my old thread suddenly started this discussion ;) I can report the string is still going after 2months and seems to have held the tension actually surprisingly well considering what I read about no1 tension loss. I got the racket Friday 6th of December and it was shipped on the 2nd presumably strung that day at requested 11,5kg. So 4 days later it measured 10,8kg. After another two days and having played with it once it measured 10,7. Today almost 2months later it measures 10,1kg.

I know stringster isn't completely accurate but it seems to be pretty good for me. For reference my old racket strung with BG80 at 10,5kg by my local shop measured 10,3kg 2 hours after coming of the machine. That racket had actually a comparatively huge tension drop which makes me question if maybe they didn't do a very good job. Even if the absolute tension value maybe isn't completely accurate I think stringster at least should be adequate for measuring relative tension drop over time. It always measures very consistently for me. Almost always the same if I repeat the measurement, at most 0,1kg difference.

Regarding the string pattern I don't think it maybe comes across that well from the pictures. Like I said I don't know much about stringing but after having read some more and looking a bit closer at the racket here's what I think is going on. It seems that the crosses aren't done bottom up or top down but started from the middle. So the long jumps over 5 and 6 holes are when it goes from the last mains at the bottom to start the crosses from the middle. The tie off knots are 3 holes away on the bottom and 2 on the top. So I guess in that case it means the long 5 and 6 holes runs aren't untensioned. Might have been what kwun first thought and he referred to as a "one piece, 50/50 mains, 50/50 cross pattern"?

michael5098 likes this.