Wuhan BAC Individual Championship 2020 - Should it be cancelled?

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by stanleyfm, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

5 millions were already out of city when the lockdown is announce. i d say they are bringing the virus to rural areas, and that will be much harder to treat or be reported.

2. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very good point. BWF will be scrambling to come up with a solution. Any rearrangement will not be economically viable - sponsorship issues.

Income receipts will be down. People will try to avoid large crowds.

China and Hong Kong team may start to see some xenophobia until the crisis is over.

4. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I don’t see why countries like Japan won’t be able to take it over. It’s not a huge event after all.

5. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

I think hosting at Hyderabad will be better option .pbl ends on feb9 they can continue with Bac

Sumanth99 likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Australia! :D

Cheung likes this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I removed a joke and subsequent posts stem from it. We have tragic situations here where many ppl died. Better be more respectful.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Many events and international events including various Olympics qualifying events have already been cancelled or moved out of Wuhan. I will not be surprised the BAC Individual Championships in April will also once they authority have figured out a solution.

The BAC Team Championship is a separate event held in Feb in Manila.

CLELY, stanleyfm and ebcd like this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    so i guess zombieland iii is on hold...

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The relocation of the event leads certainly to financial losses. Wonder how BA and BWF gonna handle this

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Found this article on the New York Post, offering another (sane or positive?) perspective different from most of the doom-and-gloom stories some or many of us like to imagine:
    https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-...kSzg1k_rdUDHnbdPrUAytbDS8al8LfbCuVXmgtjjlD5jg
    Don’t buy the media hype over the new China virus
    by Michael Fumento January 23, 2020

A CNN reporter broadcasts from Wuhan, China, on the recent viral outbreak. There is nobody near who could possibly infect him — unless the cameraman has Guinness Book of Records coughs and sneezes. So why does he insist on wearing a blue surgical mask while talking?

It’s called “drama,” which is badly needed, because there appears to be nothing very special about this outbreak of the 2019-nCoV or Wuhan virus. It should actually be called the DvV, or Déjà vu Virus, because we have been through these hysterias before. Over and over. Heterosexual AIDS, Ebola repeatedly, the H1N1 swine flu that was actually vastly milder than the regular flu and, especially, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003.

Once you start debunking mass hysteria over outbreaks, it gets easy, because the same patterns repeat themselves.

The best remedy for all epidemic hysteria is perspective. How is this new outbreak different and thus potentially more dangerous from other diseases we have dealt with in the past or are dealing with now?

Wuhan is repeatedly labeled “deadly” — but so is every other virus most people know about. But especially deadly? Nearly 600 cases have been confirmed with at least 17 reported deaths.

An infected American is reportedly doing well. It’s probably true that the death toll is understated, but it’s guaranteed the infection number is. Probably as with, say, flu, the vast majority of those infected have such slight symptoms, they don’t seek medical attention.

For that reason, a comparison to the US flu death rate is also very difficult. As a share of hospitalizations, the regular flu death rate is 8.5 percent to 17 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — considerably higher than for Wuhan. But counting all estimated illnesses, reported and estimated, it’s much lower.

What we can say for sure is that Wuhan will be a lot worse in China, simply because health care there is vastly inferior. It appears that, like flu, Wuhan usually kills through often treatable secondary infections. Well, treatable in the West. You’d be surprised at how many potentially deadly diseases (malaria, TB) Americans get that wreak havoc in much of the world but kill essentially none of us.

It also appears those most likely to die of Wuhan virus fit the same profile as flu fatalities: people over 65, those with compromised immune systems and those with serious pre-existing conditions. Two of the 17 Wuhan dead were 89-year-olds with pre-existing conditions; the youngest was 48 and suffering from diabetes and a stroke.

Contagiousness is highly important, of course. But so far, there is no evidence that Wuhan, first reported more than three weeks ago, is more contagious than influenza or spreads differently.

Those are the important factors; everything else is noise and tinfoil-hat paranoia.

We are breathlessly told it’s spread from human to human. Again, most of the contagious diseases we think of are spread between humans, with some exceptions, such as rabies.

It’s inherently bad because it’s new, we’re told. So were swine flu and SARS.

Chinese health officials warned it could mutate further to either become more deadly or more contagious. Same was said about the aforementioned outbreaks. Actually, viruses usually mutate to become less deadly, to preserve the host body and hence themselves.

The media are correct in saying the closest comparison here is SARS. It also was first reported in China and was what’s called a coronavirus. But while they want you to remember SARS as akin to the Black Death with cries of “Bring out your dead!,” fact is, there was a grand total of only 8,098 cases, of whom 774 died. Then the disease simply disappeared. More than 7,000 of those cases and about 650 of the deaths occurred just in mainland China and Hong Kong. The United States had just 75 cases and zero deaths.

By contrast, the CDC estimates about 80,000 Americans died of flu two seasons ago.

So if you want, buy a (probably worthless) surgical mask to play “twins” with those “courageous” TV newsmen. Or you may consider that flu shots are still available.

Michael Fumento is an attorney, journalist and author and has been reporting on epidemic hysterias since 1986. Fumento@gmail.com

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

@Justin L

I agree the press saying “deadly” is over dramatic. Are the press abusing their status of “freedom of press” and self styled regulators of society?

but back to the side topic of your article and over reaction

Tony Abbott, Australia's Health Minister,Pandemic flu conference in 25 Oct 2005:

"In the absence of a pandemic, almost any preparation will smack of alarmism.

If a pandemic does break out, nothing that's been done will be enough."

That’s what exactly the article you have referred does. SARS died out because we were proactive about it. But it’s still out there somewhere.

Virus mutate and it’s a matter of chance whether they develop into something harmful to humans. Swine flu is an example.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just to make myself clear, I posted the above article only for sharing an alternative or less pessimistic view, it does not necessarily mean I agree with the author.

So, yes, better wear that surgical face mask, wash one's hands as often as possible and avoid touching one's face to prevent the virus from getting into one's respiratory passages. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, by the way, there is a difference between normal surgical mask and N95 face mask - read here https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...l-masks-over-n95-masks-for-protection-experts :-

Wuhan virus: Opt for surgical masks over N95 masks for protection, say experts
    A top infectious disease expert and the Ministry of Health (MOH) have said that the public should not rely on N95 masks to guard against the Wuhan virus, even as they fly off the shelves at pharmacies.

Instead, surgical masks are more appropriate in this case, the expert and MOH said yesterday.

Surgical masks can help reduce the spread of the virus and it is more practical for the general public to use them.

They are meant to help block large-particle droplets and splatter from reaching the wearer's mouth and nose, and reduce exposure of the wearer's saliva and respiratory secretions to others.

N95 masks, which are tighter fitting, are designed to effectively filter airborne particles. They have been used in Singapore during haze situations.

National Centre for Infectious Diseases executive director Leo Yee Sin told The Straits Times that N95 masks are not recommended for the general public. They are mainly used by medical staff.

The mask's design makes it difficult for people to breathe in if it is worn properly.

Prof Leo said: "If you find the N95 mask easy to breathe in and comfortable, you are wearing it wrong and it is no use... you think you are protected, but you are not."

During a news conference yesterday, Ministry of Health group director of operations Koh Peng Keng said: "For the general public, if they fall sick, our advice is that they should wear a face mask, a normal surgical mask, and not use the N95 masks."

He also urged those who are sick to be socially responsible. They should put on a face mask to capture their respiratory droplets, and go to a healthcare facility quickly to get checked.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Here’s the link for what happened during SARS

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/pneumonia.9339/

I sound quite relaxed in those posts. In fact, that time I was pretty scared going to work in ICU. Badminton forum and its community really helped me because I isolated myself lots and the internet Forums was one outlet for social contact.

jyeung likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I agree, that's why I strongly feel we have to be objective, strike the right balance, be realistic, take all precautionary measures, act rationally, be socially responsible, stay calm, strong and united...but avoid going to either extreme of being paranoid or (I've difficulty finding the right antonym) being careless or even reckless, taking it too easy, laid-back, uncaring, flippant, etc (I think you get my point).

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's.......difficult

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It goes without saying, absolutely, the Wuhan BAC in April must be canceled, and BWF will have to find an alternative venue quickly as it's the last tournament included in the Race to Tokyo Standings.

Even if the National Health Commission manages to contain the epidemic in two months, CBA will never allow any of their players, including foreigners, to play there, simply can't afford the risk. No player in his or her right mind would even think about it. That's a no-brainer.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Any decision for the safety of players, given that the estimate of infected persons is 100,000 (vast majority in Asia), should take priority.

Giga01 likes this.
  19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sorry but that CNN article is stupid and irresponsible.

The guy standing at the middle of the city and no one to infect him because everyone were told to stay home.

Wuhan virus is much more scary than regular flu because the mortality rate is 3%. While regular flu, mortality rate is 0.015%. Yes the absolute numbers are higher with flu, but also the number infected is much higher in flu, at least for now.

The infection rate for the Wuhan virus is higher than SARS. Follow the numbers. The amount of ppl infected is growing at around 50% every day. In less than 2 days from now we will have more ppl infected than all of SARS. And there is no sign of this slowing down, in a couple of weeks the infected will be in the hundred of thousands. And this is with the most drastic measures we have seen ever done to contain a virus. imaging what happens if we listen to this stupid guy and not do any precautions?

The reporter need to learn some math and logic, be responsible in reporting instead of just trying to write an article to be published.

sokol250 and Cheung like this.
  20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

sokol250 likes this.