Answer For: " Do Badminton Shoes Make A Difference?"

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Scrench, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

I was using a pair of shoes specifically designed for the sport of Tennis, one of their best, the Nike Air Vapor Ace. I got them originally for Pickleball, and did slightly hurt my ankle once while playing with them, but have been using them for about 6 months now for badminton. Lately, the outside of my feet started to ache and my ankles felt like they were getting ready to sprain if I moved the wrong way. I have had about 4-6 major ankle sprains in my life, and I know when something is wrong.

So I started asking the same question everyone else does who doesn't have badminton-specific shoes. I spent a lot of hours doing research on the internet about different shoes, and for me it boiled down to the Yonex Eclipsion Z, Power Cushion 65ZM 2, Victor A920, A960 and P9300. I am a fanatic about having light shoes because I believe that the heavier they are, the more weight you have to move around and the sooner you will fatigue and start to hit out-of-position shots. I REALLY wanted the Yones Aerus 3's since I weighed a pair at only 270 grams per shoe, but read over and over again about how they have little comfort and support, qualities I definitely want and need.

So, I bought a pair of Yonex Power Cushion 65ZM 2's. For size 8.5 US they weigh 607 grams for the pair, 303.5 grams per shoe, only 12.5 grams more per shoe than my Nike's, 33 grams more than Aerus 3's. And boy, do they make a difference. They are much more comfortable, have better grip, and feel more stable when I'm making extreme maneuvers. My ankles and the sides of my feet don't hurt anymore. They really excel at moving straight backwards because of the curved heel. The 90 degree heel angle of regular shoes can cause you to trip or not move smoothly if you dig in right on the edge.

Overall, there is a significant difference between these shoes and my old Nike's. Play-mates comment that I'm moving faster than before, and smoother. I'm getting to even more of those shots other people would give up on, the kind that people watching see and go "uuuuuuhhh", or politely clap or bang their rackets.

If you need new shoes, I highly suggest these for their light weight, comfort, stability and grip. My doubles partner just bought some Comfort Z's, and hates them because he was used to the low weight of his Aerus 3's, but he hates them now too because they hurt his feet (the 3's). Mine aren't that much heavier, but have all of the other bonus's the 3's don't have, which I think is well worth the trade-off.

So, do real badminton shoes make a difference? Absolutely, without a doubt, hell yes!

kwun, Giga01, s_mair and 3 others like this.
  2. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the mini review. I'm looking for new badminton shoes myself and I might consider the Power Cushion 65ZM 2's as well. By any chance, did you ever try using Mizuno shoes over Yonex ones? Are Yonex generally better?

3. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

I've never tried Mizuno shoes, so don't know. Hopefully someone else who has tried them will respond.

I DO know that almost every time I watch a recent YouTube video of a quater, semi or finals match, one or both of the players are wearing the same shoes as me. For instance watch Mamota vs Axelson, both wearing the blue version. I went with white/orange, which everyone has complemented how nice they look.

4. kevindd992002

Engineer
    I see. How do I know if I need the Wide version though?

Also, are the same shoes also good for Women (the Women version of it)?

5. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Have to say that initially I ordered my normal size, 8 US, but they were out of stock, so I asked them to send a half-size larger with a return guarantee if they didn't fit. The 8.5 US size fits me very well. The 8's might have been too tight as I don't have narrow feet, and they tend to swell a bit if you play vigorously for hours like I do. So you might want to try a half-size larger rather than get the wide version. Definitely get them to agree to a return and full refund if they don't fit, before you buy them, or look elsewhere. That's the only way you can get the right shoe that fits without guessing.

6. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Well, I'm in Japan now for vacation and will be visiting shuttle house in a few days. I will be physically fitting the shoes and they do have the regular and wide version of the 65ZM 2's. I just don't know how the fit "should be" for me to consider if my feet are really wide or not. I'm referring to the technicalities of these things.

7. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Wish I could have done that. Try them on, walk around a bunch and try lunges and splits etc..., see how they feel. They should be snug for support. I like my shoes to fit so that if I really tighten up all the laces it is very snug, or if I leave them a little looser they are more comfortable.

Good Luck!

8. Briyanihayakawa

Briyanihayakawa Regular Member

If you are looking for a light shoe, you should try the ASICS Gel-Blade 7, tried it for both squash and badminton. It is light and provide good cushioning from the Gel.

West204 likes this.
  9. Briyanihayakawa

Best to go to a running speciality store to use their foot ID or Scanner, usually it would help you check if you have wide fit. That was how I found out about mine

10. kevindd992002

Engineer
    I ended up buying the 65Z2 from Amazon JP because it was cheaper there at 9064 yen. I used the same size I use tor my current shoe, 27cm (US 9). When I remove the shoe insoles and place my feet against them, I still have a thumb width allowance which I read is the correct sizing that I should go for.

As for the width, I'm still not sure because I have yet to play with them this weekend but they "fit in" so to speak. When I measured my feet width before, they were at 3.9". Do you think 3E (standard) is the correct Yonex width sizing for me?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

11. West204

West204 Regular Member

I just bought the gel blade 7. I must agree with you on the light weight part. But cushioning I will still need to give it a few more tries and see if my feet have any pain or not. But the lightness of this model is really what I wanted I must say.

Briyanihayakawa likes this.
  12. Briyanihayakawa

How has the Asics Gel Blade 7 been treating you?

13. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Nothing beats light-weight shoes for speed and endurance in sports. Just ask your feet and legs!

14. West204

West204 Regular Member

Basically had answered all my needs as I was looking for something light weight yet can provide good cushion. Changing directions on court seems good too(this is my favourite part) maybe because of lesser restrictions on the ankle part. Cushion on the sole part was ok for me, considering me weighing at 80kg.

15. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Do they have a curved or 90 degree angled heel? How do they feel when you have to move directly backwards quickly, like for a long serve, or running from the net to the back? Do you move smoothly or do they feel like they may cause you to trip?

16. West204

West204 Regular Member

Definitely curved on the ankle side. Running backwards wasn't an issue. In fact wasn't any issue with other of my previous shoes too. But I do realise that i can defend and dive to my right and left better with these gel blades. I wonder if it's really the light weight that is the effect or just placebo effects. Lol.. but I like how i can receive smashes better now with this pair.

After all, I must understand that even a very good pair of shoes can only help me that much and not to expect too much. Happy with the purchase. No complains at all.

17. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Glad to hear you are happy with them, and thanks for the review!

West204 likes this.
  18. Briyanihayakawa

Thanks for your reviews on the Asics Gel-Blade 7. I like their new colour way!

West204 likes this.
  19. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Update on my Yonex Power Cushion 65ZM II's. The hole in the bottom of the shoe that is supposed to allow in air to keep the bottom of your feet dry doesn't do squat for me. It is covered over by the insert. My feet have never been this wet before, and my shoes already stink. I've tried putting them in the freezer, covering them in baking soda, and leaving them out in the sun. They still stink. Anyone else have remedies for stinky shoes?

20. West204

West204 Regular Member

Try stuffing newspaper inside the shoe and also wrap the whole shoe with newspaper. Worked for me.