Plastics to be allowed by BWF?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by darrengsaw, Jan 20, 2020.

1. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It only says that synthetic shuttles are "allowed". That doesn't say anything about the fact when they will actually be used. But it creates a nice promotion headline that fits the current sustainability trend.

I know that Yonex have tested some top-secret synthetic shuttles at a BWF tournament last year (Yonex Italian International) and it's a shame that there hasn't been a single word about the actual shuttle used there yet. I sencerely hope that the development in that field will continue. It's more that obvious that there is huge potential to make better synthetic shuttles that behave similar to feathered ones.

Slade and LenaicM like this.
  3. darrengsaw

Data Analyst
    Totally agree, most sports have managed to moved on from these kinds of products,

I'm very curious to see what this Yonex shuttle is all about, I'd also heard about this via some small print somewhere in the tournament details.

This is the first announcement publicly to my knowledge, I noticed Reuters have the story, so it may be picked up by the press more widely.

I shall watch developments with great interest.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Judging by how they price the current synthetic shuttles, I don't expect this to be priced cheaper than medium grade feathers. Assuming they achieve a miracle and make a product that's 90% like a feather, they would need to price it drastically cheaper than Mavis's to get any sort of initial traction.

5. Backhand_Dave

Backhand_Dave Regular Member

not sure I understand .... replacing a biodegradable material with plastic isn't really helping the environment ?! will there be a recycle program ?

LenaicM likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That.

Another dumb idea from BWF.

Feather shuttles can be made completely bio-degradable. feathers, cork, leather, strings, and even glue, can be bio-degradable.

I will be very interested to see what % of a synthetic shuttle is bio-degradable.

Scott Kam and LenaicM like this.
  7. darrengsaw

Data Analyst
    I think a big part of the problem with plastic shuttles is that even if they can be recycled, the chances are that people will just throw them in regular bins anyway.

If you need to put them in a special bin I doubt many would end up in one.

I can't say I'm an expert in waste disposal though, and how current shuttles both plastic and feather impact the environment in any real way.

From a purely cost oriented perspective, the game would benefit from a durable synthetic that has very similar flight properties to a feather where they last much longer, but only time will tell exactly what impact this decision will have in the real world.

Scott Kam likes this.
  8. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Definitely interested to hearing/seeing what this Yonex shuttle is. If there's any company that can do it, it's Yonex with their deep pockets and huge marketing.

9. phili

phili Regular Member

Too bad there is so little info about the shuttle and its properties. It's hard to judge from the available info it the newly developed shuttle by Yonex really is a step towards more sustainability.

Cheung likes this.
  10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

It might be a step in the right direction if the synthetic material is derived from plant based sources.
    We should see fewer geese flying in circles because their left wings are missing feathers.

Then a follow up article appears - https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2020/01/558619/synthetic-feather-shuttlecocks-raise-concerns

Some snippets
    And I thought tennis balls were already synthetic - rubber and nylon (with some wool and cotton).

Up to 25% reduction? 24 feathers Vs 18+ synthetics. They don't sound very robust but if they are cheaper than normal shuttles the cost saving is plausible.

Scott Kam, s_mair and darrengsaw like this.
  11. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    You hit the nail right on the head. Recycling is selective, and they do not accept among other things plastic bag, so as the plastic shuttlecocks
    just creating non degradable garbage..Where would end up ? Of course in Malaysia, many countries dump their garbage there, where the BWF headquarter is.
    The secretary Thomas Lund has ro go before 2021, when he wants to introduce plastic shuttles in specific venues he is braindead.

Scott Kam likes this.
  12. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I thought that at first too.
    But how often are shuttles changed in professional matches unrelated to actual damage (tactical reasons)?
    If the shuttle proofs to be more durable, players need to change their behavior or the umpires must be more strict and deny changing the shuttle more.
    Or maybe they need to reuse/refresh shuttles but that won't be profitable.

13. ningbo GIG

ningbo GIG Regular Member

owner of factory
    if shuttlecock not use feather , how it called shuttlecock, eventhough ,the feather is so expensive now.

14. superdan12

superdan12 Regular Member

It probably has a lot to do with lowering the price point of shuttlecocks as well. One of the biggest barrier to entry is badminton's high cost to play, with shuttlecocks being the biggest culprit. With good quality feathers, there's very little room to cut costs - there are a lot of manual labor and testing that's required, since natural feather is brittle and random in quality. Synthetics, on the other hand, technically can be made and tested mostly by machines, which means economies of scale can kick in to lower the price of shuttlecocks in the long run. This, of course, is more in the interest of BWF, which I am assuming is a big proponent of this change, and possibly one of the catalysts for this movement.

15. Chris Collins

Chris Collins New Member

Hey guys. Interesting post. I think some people have caught on to the slightly wrong idea that replacing feather shuttle cocks is being more environmentally friendly, it is not. But we cannot keep using geese or duck feathers also. With regards to biodegradable, well, they knight be, but fairly doubtful.

More to the point, does anyone know any suppliers of the new synthetic ones?

I know a lot of British clubs will be excited to know that gradually feathers will decrease in price in the next couple of years!

16. darrengsaw

Data Analyst
    It seems that various Yonex prototypes have been tested and approved.

There doesn't seem to be any actual product news anywhere about these shuttles.

They must be something greater than a development of the tired old Mavis line, but until we get some news who knows.

Interesting that they only expect a 25% numerical saving, it sounds as though they may not be ultra durable, but more so than feathers.

Most of the stories in the Asian online press seem somewhat negative from those that claim to have tried them, sounds a bit of an open book at the moment.

17. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    Think of that, 6 Mavis 300 shuttlecocks (mediocre quality product) cost over $10, reemphasize 6 not 12, how would a professional grade plastic cost less than feather made?
    What will happen, is that the plastic birdies will cost more than feathers,creating more plastic garbage, instead of biodegradable natural ones.
    The emphasis should be on staying natural, than rediscover 20-30 years later again that plastic is harmful, and penalize the consumer by selling feather birdies, as "ORGANIC" FOR unreasonable amount of money like your organic dearies, and produce.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    fact is, the cost of plastic is way lower than feathers. Those mavic shuttle probably cost $.10 cents to produce.

Feathers on the other hand, is much more expensive as the demand is high and the supply is limited.

I can imagine lots of commercial pressure from large badminton sponsors to push for higher profit margin products.

19. superdan12

superdan12 Regular Member

That doesn't say much about the cost to produce, they price it high, but for all we know they could be extremely cheap to make and they just make a ridiculous margin off of them. If they were to drag the price down when those pro grade plastics hit the market, they'd be looking for profits in the long run, because in the short term, I don't see what incentive yonex has at all in selling these cheap.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as they say, "follow the money".