India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

PBL starting from today. Seems like there'e no interest for this league, thanks to below par performances of Indian players this year. Will follow matches of only junior players, nothing more.

2. Baddie lover

Absolutely, shooting players deserve it. No questions there. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain the pressure of Olympics or not. Last time Jitu Rai miserably failed.

Yupps, no other player except Neeraj Chopra is good enough for medalling. However, I think Neeraj is recovering from injury, would be a tough ask from him to give his best. He's been out of competition too for many months.

Yeahh we had great WC in 2019, but Olympics will be a different ball game. So I would pick Bajrang and Vinesh phogat as favourites to medal.
    Jeremy will be good for 2024. He's 16-17 so I don't think he'll qualify for finals. One for the future. Regarding Mirabai, she had to change her weight category to play in Olympics as her previous category (in which she was a world champion is not in Olympics). The new weight category is tough for her. I think she has an outside chance of medalling. She's come back from injury some months ago. Let's see.

Hmm Sania came back after nearly 2 years and won WTA title in WD. She'll most probably partner with Bopanna. Outside chance of medalling even if both of them are at their best.

Very less probability. Olympics will be more tough as there are quality European pairs too. In Asian Games, they did a fabulous job. In OG, they need luck , favourable draw and they should play their best game then only they would have outside chance of medalling.

Yupps. Only Sindhu

They are serial chokers. So many world cup medals since 2011 but in Olympics a big zero. No hopes here

Amit Panghal has a great chance of medalling. Did tremendously well last year to reach finals of WC and becoming first male boxer to win silver. Fingers crossed for him. Mary Kom, I don't know whether she can medal or not. If she's at her best she'll surely win a medal.

As I said realistically, we have a chance to grab 8 medals (at max) if all goes well. Shooting, wrestling, badminton, boxing are our hopes. As we're going off topic, any further posts regarding this can be continued by creating a new thread for India at Tokyo .

Sumanth99 likes this.
  3. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Its nice that TTY is playing this PBL, I don't see any proper reason for her choosing to play mere Indian league.I hope BSP'll have something to learn especially mentally on how not to choke at crucial junctures.

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    looks like Satwik got injured.

5. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Is there a stream to watch the PBL other than Hotstar? Hotstar doesn't let you even open an account outside India. So it looks like if you are outside India, you cannot watch it.

If somebody knows a stream to watch it, that would be great! Thanks.

6. Baddie lover

Just finished watching Priyanshu vs Lakshya match. It was a tight tight match. I've watched Priyanshu twice before. Both times during WJC 18. He was a good player back then, I think he played against Christo Popov and one English player. Priyanshu has very nice touches at the net, has quite a few deceptions too. To me he is a smart player, smarter than Lakshya. Looking forward to more of his matches.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yeah man, This dude is good.
    - Footwork.
    - Racket Skills
    - Smartness
    - Most importantly attitude
    are quite.

I hope our demigods at top have the powers to recognise such talents and hone them.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    He kind of reminded me of SYQ, esp that quick moment + crosscourt smash at 7-9 in 3rd game, that was SYQ's trump shot.

Baddie lover likes this.
  9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

10. mohans

mohans Regular Member

badmuse and Sumanth99 like this.
  11. Baddie lover

badmuse likes this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But he is still singing WC semi-success song :mad:.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

All indian players lost in Thailand Masters including the elites in Round 1.
    Good going.

14. Baddie lover

I've seen this junior pair in WJC 2019. Wasn't impressed by them. I came across this article in "The Hindu".

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/othe...manipur-in-limelight/article30627775.ece/amp/

“We used to play for fun. Our homes are very close to each other and we studied in the same class. All the while, we have played together. Since 2014, we have been winning medals in National championships and have represented the country in the Asian junior championships,” Dingku, named after Asian Games gold medallist boxer Dingko Singh, told The Hindu.

“When we did well in doubles in under-17 and under-19 events, (international referee from our State) H. Gyanewar Singh spoke to Gopi Chand sir. We practised in Hyderabad for a month or so and beat senior players in a tournament. That’s how we got selected for the Gopi Chand Academy. We have improved a lot after joining the academy.”

According to Manjit, the two friends needed to be more focused than ever. “This is the most important phase for us as we graduate to the senior level. We have to work hard to keep up our performance.”

“Only one or two individuals back badminton in Manipur. Otherwise, there is not much support. In 2014, we had requested one of our ministers to build a wooden floor indoor hall in Bishnupur but nothing has been done yet,” said Manjit.

15. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I actually liked them, I think they have good potential.

16. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

17. mohans

mohans Regular Member

badmuse likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    he's the lin dan of india...:p

badmuse likes this.
  19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Not 'that' Lindan, but today's Lindan.

samkool and badmuse like this.
  20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Never expected Tai Tzu Ying to drop a game to Gayatri Gopichand. I expect that from Indian players but not Tai! This will definitely boost Gayatri's confidence and make her work hard. She has talent and has to up her game. She is not in the same mould as Saina Nehwal or PV Sindhu were as outstanding junior players but is probably a late bloomer. 3 years from now we will have a better idea of her progress and how she shapes up mentally as a player.

Sumanth99 likes this.