String Job keep breaking on machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Daniel2207, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

Hello, Badminton Fans,

I have been feeling kinda annoyed recently, I bought a stringing machine a crank in order to learn how to string myself when I first started aside from being slower I wasn't too bad I could string a racket in about 1hr 30mins. I have started using so more performance strings such as bg 80, Ultimax and for whatever reason every time I try and start the crosses it breaks.

I have checked grommets and string all seems fine, the weird thing is the knot holds so it's not the knot but the string seems to always snap, at the start really enjoyed stringing at first still do but this keeps happening I have had to cut mains out of 5 rackets due to knot being able to string crosses, any help would this would be great, I'm sure it's a small blip or mistake I keep making however I need to fix it.

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sounds very weird tbh. To start with the basics:
    At which set tensions did the breakages happen?
    You haven't had the same problems with "non performance strings", correct? Which strings were these?
    Have you checked the calibration of the tensioner?
    At which spot did the strings snap?

kakinami and speCulatius like this.
  3. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I went back to double pulling for starter crosses from pulling directly on the starter knot. I had lots of premature breakages at the knot, so I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

alexchristen likes this.
  4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

1. Where and when exactly does the string break? On the first pull? Second one?
    2. What do you mean when you say the string send fine? Before stringing? It cannot be fine if it breaks... any damage on the string around the area where it broke?
    3. Which machine?
    4. How do you tighten the starting knot?

Some grippers can damage the string, especially when you push it in too low which is more likely to happen when doing the crosses than doing the mains.
    If it breaks close to the knot, the knot might be fine, but you damage the string when tightening it.

At the moment, these are the only ideas I have. Giving as many details as possible always helps to find a problem.

5. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

Only using about 24lb, breaks on first cross pulling maybe using a bad knot I just loop and go through once and then again
    I used a cheap forza reel about 0.70m gauge
    Tensioner is out by about 2lbs so on my machine it reads 26 but its pulling 24
    Just after the knot so when starting the cross I start knot hole 6 and then first cross hole 9 the stretch between those 2 holes is where it breaks, seems to be okay with double pulling only learnt that today :D

I don't use anything to tighten knot just hands, my machine is a table top crank six point mounting lock off not constant pull, string is fine before stringing when I cut the cross it seems fine no damage, thanks for the help

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

First, do a double pull there. That takes away a lot of stress from the knot.

Second, try out different knots. I don’t have a clear picture what yours looks like based on your description, but it doesn’t sound that solid.

I really like the bulky knot for both starter and tie off knot:

Easy to do, not too big but still doesn’t sink into the holes.

7. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

You can also secure this first knot distance by start with clamping on the first crosses right after the inlet at hole 9 and then pull. Sure you will lose some tension at the knot but at the same time you will get a harder invidual tension on the first cross.

s_mair likes this.
  8. gnolnuy

gnolnuy New Member

I am facing a similar issue.

Been trying to string my Astrox 88D on Saturday. On both attempts, the B7 and B8 strings snap when I am trying to do the tie-off for the cross at A5.

Was wondering if it could be an issue with my strings (2 packs of Lining Number 1 with old packaging) or the tension that I am pulling (27 lbs for mains, 28 lbs for crosses).

I didn't experience this issue when I was stringing my Z-Speed at 27lbs x 27lbs (With Lining No 1 from reel) prior to the Astrox 88D string job.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If I understood the issue correctly, then this is a different story than the OP's problem. Which strings do you mean exactly with "B7 and B8 strings"? And at which spot exactly does the breakage happen? And just to get this straight, you do a standard 2-piece bottom-up and the string snaps at the last moment when you tie off the crosses at the top, correct?

10. gnolnuy

gnolnuy New Member

I was following the official 2 piece pattern from Yonex. The string broke somewhere in the area which I've circled in blue during the tie off at A5 as per the pattern. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have officially not the slightest idea. If it was the anchor string in A5 that broke - okay, that can be explained. But why would strings break that are not even touched by the knot or the loop?!

One idea: Have you checked the grommets in the area A6-A9 if one of them is split or shows any other sign of damage?

12. Dennis Li

Dennis Li New Member

Uhhhh I'm no professional stringer but I suggest you can try proportional stringing by lowering the tension of ur first few pulls of horizontals and work ur tension back up to what you want... Otherwise it just sounds like smth is wrong with ur string or it's being damaged before being pulled? Abrasion with verticals?

13. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Buy a scale and calibrate your machine maybe?

If the string snaps, theres only a few cause
    1. Tension too high
    2. Clamps too sharp
    3. Grommets wear
    4. Knotting mistake

CMIIW

14. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I have broken string from pulling too much on my knots, be careful there, If your mains are breaking and your grommets are good, maybe trying to turn your grommets 1/4 turn you might nos see something inside the grommet or your clamps might be too tight. My guesses =)

stradrider likes this.