Double Pulling Correctly

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Charlie-SWUK, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Ok, this is something I keep seeing done and it's a little bit frustrating. A double pull is where you pull two strings at the same time. Note that double pulling will always result in a lower tension than using a single pull, as tested by Kwun and other BCers. Sometimes however, it is unavoidable, and we may have to double pull.

Common scenarios where a double pull is required:
    1) Starting your mains
    2) Tying off your mains
    3) Starting your crosses (if using 2 piece)

And maybe, depending on your approach, to finish your crosses.

In these diagrams:
    Red = Where people will try to clamp straight away/the last point that needs to be clamped
    Green = Where people should clamp before clamping red
    Blue = Flying clamp

Scenario 1: Starting your mains
    People will pull both strings, and then clamp the string close to the bottom. This will result in a lot of tension loss. You should first clamp your mains near the top, with one clamp just below the other. You should then pull each side again.
    upload_2018-3-12_8-30-13.png
    I would recommend starting with the one on the left, nearer the top, as you're less likely to have the one nearer the middle draw back when you release the one closer to the frame.

Scenario 2: Tying off your mains
    Where you'll be tempted to clamp in the red straight away, you should actually clamp in the green, and then re-pull the last string. I personally clamp the left most string because my towers don't comfortably fit in the 2nd to left most string easily.
    upload_2018-3-12_8-33-34.png

Another trick to reduce tension loss on these outside mains is as follows:
    upload_2018-3-12_8-39-51.png
    Double pull your outside mains. Clamp the outside main. Re-pull. Put your flying clamp on the last pull on it and the next main closer to the middle. Put your fixed clamp behind it. This is especially helpful if your towers can't get close to the frame.

Scenario 3: Starting your crosses
    You can probably guess where this is going. Sometimes we double pull our first crosses to avoid pulling the knot through. Just because we have double pulled the string, it doesn't mean we should clamp it next to the pull. We should clamp it appropriately so that we can put the full tension through the next string.
    upload_2018-3-12_8-43-29.png

Summary:
    You should try to put the full tension through each of the strings. If you double pull a string, you should clamp one of the strings, and then pull again. This will help to avoid tension loss.

2. ganandoor56

ganandoor56 Regular Member

Sorry for off topic, but isn't it a voltric Z force II?
    Never seen this color before! When was the release?

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It’s not a zf2. It’s called the voltric force

4. ganandoor56

ganandoor56 Regular Member

Ah ok! Looks very similar :)

5. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

What do you think of the following scenario? I saw this on a very good stringer.

1) Pull both strings
    2) Clamp only one main near the top (left side)
    3) Repull the right main string and clamp on bottom
    4) Pull the second right main and clamp on top
    5) Pull left side

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    this can work
    the danger you have is that with no real resistance on one side the string can slip and cause damage
    you would be better off doing this process with an extra starting clamp

7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

That what I do too..

Put the starting clamp near the shaft on the first main, than double pull first two mains. Clamp the first string near the top, clamp the second at the bottom. Single pull two more strings on the opposite side of the starting clamp. Re-pull the string with the starting clamp, and than continue alternating every two strings on each side..

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The other drawback I have with this method is my clamps won't sit that closely together, and I don't like clamping inches away from the frame because I don't have space.

9. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I clamp the first main a bit far, so there is a space for the other clamp. I figure, since the first main going to be re-pulled anyways, then no lost tension there..

10. MB-Racket

MB-Racket New Member

Hi, I'm a tennis stringer and I got some badminton customers recently. So I'm searching the optimal way of stringing a badminton racket. Until now, I followed this tutorial:

My machine has very thin clamps. I think I could finish the mains without double-pulling. Would you recommend use double-pulling anyways to reduce stress on the racket or would it be better to pull the second last main and then the last, just like doing with tennis rackets?
    Or should I pull the last, clamp it and then pull the second last and tie it off (if my clamps fit in there)? Just like your double pulling system but pulling the last one first and clamp it. My feeling says that this would increase the stress on the frame.

Thanks for your help!

11. Nologicone

Nologicone New Member

Hi,

I'll chimp in my 2 cents until more experienced stringers join in. If you look at badminton manufacturer's stringing instructions, most recommends double pulling for the last main strings. Badminton rackets are more delicate than tennis rackets and they do not cover the frame breakage if not strung to their instructions. If warranty is important to your customer, always string it accordingly to manufacturer's recommendations, including tension to protect them.

Cheers!

12. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I too have thought about this before settling on my current stringing workflow as demonstrated here:

I used to pull every single string individually but found that if I pulled the finishing mains, starting cross and finishing cross strings (note, not starting mains) with a double pull, the percentage of string breaks with mishits were significantly reduced. And i also agree there is a higher tension loss over time as we have 3 strings that were semi-tensioned instead of getting full tension. But the durability advantage was significant.

I also found there was no significant difference in terms of the feel of the strings, until say 3-4 weeks in when the strings have really slacked/relaxed.
    So perhaps looking in from the point of durability, it is OK to double pull. If you want a stiffer string bed, just increase the tension further.

13. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

I currently have a problem with string always break when trying to pull the first cross the knot holds but string snaps around the 5 oclock position on the bottom of the racket, do you think pulling double strings will reduce this?

14. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

Your description reminds me of a situation I had in the past with a Li Ning racket (14,5kg).
    Because the outside of the grommets of the Li Ning were quite "edged/sharp" BG80 snaped, although I double pulled the first 2 crosses.

Maybe you can check the outside of the grommets where your string snaps?

What racket is it?

15. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

That could happen as you are pulling directly on the first string. Be aware of where the string is breaking, is it immediately after the knot as you said the knot holds or is it the bit around the grommet as some grommets could be worn/sharp which actually cutting into the string.

Also be aware of what speed and tension you are pulling it at, try slowing down if possible.