India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I had decent expectation from BSP on winning a first round game, now that he is lost I see 0% probability for any of our remaining MS to reach round 2.

I am excited though to watch creative errors and missing sidelines from KS to hand CTC 21-10, 21-10 win.

Nonconvex and Baddie lover like this.
  2. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    Why are most of the Indian players are facing Momota every tournament at very early stage. Today it was Kasyap and tomorrow it will be Prannoy. Goddammit. #RandomRant

Play hard. Train harder.

Baddyforall and Baddie lover like this.
  3. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    A much better performance from SV in this tournament, He added more proactive attacking dimension to his game, which when combined with his strong defence and stable game can produce some good results. He was leading in both games but got impatient, fragile during the end of the game. This is good but, but he has lots to improve.

Saina's beadting ASY is huge +ve for us.

Baddie lover likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Little bit of firepower ?

5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This pure gold from Rahul Dravid very relevant for Badminton and every one,

Biglever, Cheung and Baddie lover like this.
  6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Swas44 likes this.
  7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Books normally sell by stirring controversy! Some key facts about Saina Nehwal's early career are omitted. Gopichand wasn't Saina's first coach. Saina had her foundation with SM Arif and Vimal Kumar before she went to join Gopichand as a teenager. Her 3 year stint with Vimal Kumar helped her break her WC jinx (2015 Silver Medal) she never went past QF stage with Gopichand in the past. Saina also made her first All England Final.

Each player is an individual
    and has the right to choose any academy. Parupalli Kashyap, Ruthvika Shivani, also had their foundation at the Prakash Padukone academy before shifting to the Gopichand academy. Nothing wrong in players getting the benefit of multiple coaches.
    Lets not forget the foreign coaches who have contributed like Mulyo Handoyo, Tan Kim Her, Kim Hi Hyun, Flandy Limpele.

I should add Gopichand himself had multiple coaches. It was after training with Prakash Padukone that he finally won the All England title.

Prakash Padukone has acknowledged Gopichand's contribution to Indian badminton. Jealousy and competition makes people say things. Ego also gets in the way of thinking about whats best for Indian badminton.

#3607 badmuse, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Cheung, Biglever and Baddie lover like this.
  8. Baddie lover

Woaahh that's some strong comments by Gopi.

“It was as if something very dear was being taken away from me. Earlier, I had literally begged her (Saina) not to go. But by then she had been influenced by others and had already made up her mind. While I didn’t want to hold her back and stall her progress, I knew this was something that wasn’t beneficial for either of us,” Gopichand revealed in the book co-written by sports historian Boria Majumdar and senior journalist Nalin Mehta.

“Maybe Viren or Vimal or Prakash sir could have spoken to her. I don’t know why they didn’t. In fact, they encouraged her to leave Hyderabad. It is a mystery to me why Prakash sir has never said anything positive about me while I have always looked up to him as my role model,” said Gopi.

These comments give indication of jealousy. Why can't he just accept ? In the end it's a medal for India, right ? And he's the National Coach , so how does it matter if Saina is with PGBA and PPBA. Conflict of interest is clearly visible.

I remember in the run-up to Rio 2016 OG, Government of India (Sports Ministry) started Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOP) to give special assistance in training and funding to players who can win Olympic medals. And in badminton , players chosen were many MS players including Guru Sai Dutt, HSP, PK, KS when only max 2 players would have able to represent India in MS. There were no Ashwini/Jwala. So him saying foul play and not giving credit doesn't match at all.

badmuse likes this.
  9. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    If all what's written in that article is true then I must say the whole thing how badminton is functioning in India is in a deep hole. It's a crisis.

Biglever and Baddie lover like this.
  10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Both PG, PP are great, but sometimes emotions over power logical thinking and it can happen to anyone.

BAI should function like other Badminton Associations like Japanse etc. There should be one National Training Centre other than PPBA and PGBA where all elite players under top-16 should train under elite Indian coaches like PG, PP and foreign coaches. Only well performing players from PGBA, PPBA and other academies and clubs all over country should be allowed into NTC. I have no fu*king idea why BAI is such a di*k.

11. Baddie lover

Good thinking. This is an ideal situation, it should happen. But as you know the situation here, this is impossible. BAI doesn't give a damn. Tell me how many academies have been opened since 2009 , the year "Indian badminton revolution" started ? BAI just like any other sports federation of India is not pro active. They are happy with PGBA and PPBA supplying players to National team and they will remain happy till Sindhu brings major medals. The day Sindhu stops bringing major medals, India will be doomed unless and until future generation players start giving good results which is hard to see. Better start thinking now or it will be all over for us.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    the way this book is written from the small excerpts makes me feel it’s something not to be taken seriously. .... written by a journalist and how responsible are they in writing? One needs to read between the lines and be wary of being gullible

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  13. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    IIRC in one interview Vimal Kumar suggested that Sindhu, Srikanth should try practicing in a different environment and with different sparring partners. Until there is a drastic difference in important parameter I don't believe in attributing the performance to the training academy.

There can be a difference in studying in hostel room vs library, but I don't think PGBA and PPBA are that much different.

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy (PPBA) responds to Gopichand's allegations

Link: https://sportstar.thehindu.com/badm...valry-dreams-of-a-billion/article30564930.ece

Excerpt:

PPBA did not have any role to play in Saina Nehwal’s decision to move to Bangalore and train at PPBA,” Padukone academy said in a statement.

“However, Vimal Kumar did help Saina in her slump period that saw her attain World No.1 ranking, besides getting silver medal at the All England Championships and World Championships.”

PPBA has utmost regard for Gopichand’s contributions to Indian badminton as a player and a coach. We have also acknowledged Gopichand’s contribution to his wards’ successful performance at the world level and has always maintained good relations with him.”

PPBA has been grooming players over the last 25 years and has always stood for supporting their interest in whatever way we can. We too have many players moving on from our Academy at various stages in their career. We have never believed in restricting their growth, and that will continue to be academy’s policy.

“The sporting careers of international athletes competing at the highest levels is relatively short, therefore it is up to each player to decide whatever is in his/her interests and make the most of the opportunities available to achieve their respective goals during their peak period,” the Padukone academy said.

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

When was the last time Pranav/Sikki played more than 30 mins in a match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

No idea who is sponsoring them?.

17. Baddie lover

Before start of first round
    India - 10

After end of first round
    India -1

18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Dont mistake me guys. At the maximum, India may get 1 medal at Olympics in Badminton.
    This is reality.
    Expecting medal in MS is out of our reach.
    No prospect according to me in that category.
    WS- It all depend on Sindhu.
    WD and XD - It's a curse.
    MD - Maximum, they can reach QF.
    What are guys thinking about this?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  19. Baddie lover

There's no point of mistaking. We have to be realistic. We have seen what expectations can lead to lol. We were on right path till 2017. That hunger was there in our guys. Since then, results are there to see.

Only hope like always is in WS. A betting person would put a bet on Sindhu for reaching finals. I think it will depend on draw whether she'll be able to reach final or better. Again, there's no sureity that she will medal or will reach final like the way she's doing since 2016. I can only hope she does. Fingers crossed.

In MS, Sai Praneeth will play. Sri can't pickup the second spot. He's missing PBL so that he can focus on qualifying. Too little too late for him. I don't think he would gain back confidence in such a less time. Draw will be important for Sai like last year Worlds. He has outside chance of medalling if he's at his best. Though no expectations from him.

In MD, SatwikChirag has very little outside chance of medalling. I was having a talk with my friend who told me court conditions matter a lot in MD, so if it favours them , then they will have a chance to medal. It'll depend on the draw of course. No expectations from them too.

In WD, XD : Sikki, Ashwini and Pranav will have a picnic so I think they should enjoy Tokyo weather and have their favourite Chicken Katsu Curry. I hope to enjoy that food by looking at their Instagram stories. Have I forgotten about talking their chances ? Never mind :D

arjevo and Sumanth99 like this.
  20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I felt BSP played at a high level till 1.5 sets, but then he suddenly turned on zombie mode, I was really happy to watch some Indian MS play at such high level after a long time but then BSP is very mentally weak and turned on self destructive mode, BSP can't win big even if he practice and get skills.

Srikanth's case is gone the sooner we realise the happier we'll be