How much you willing to spend just on a racket

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ErikaT, Jan 1, 2020.

1. ErikaT

ErikaT Regular Member

TRADE FINANCE
    Hi there

i am just curious to know how much you are willing to spend on a racket.

I have a friend who is just a secondary school student and have own 3 ZF2, 3 Duora 10 once they were released out into the market. Each racket was around USD210 at that time

For me, as a working adult, I am still thinking over and over again if i should get the Astrox 99

Regards

2. cueteachme

cueteachme Regular Member

If the racket was made with the exact same fibre composites as those used in an F1 car's suspension or chassis, i dont mind forking out USD 1-2.5k for it.

Then perpetually lock and frame it as i will never have the requisite skill for it.

Realistically though, probably USD 100 is the limit for me. Since anything higher tend to be so stiff that its geared more towards the advanced players.

As a working adult and beginner level, i think us shopping for rackets is akin to buying electronics. Which feature can we use? Which feature are we willing to pay for even if we are NOT using it.

3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

50 GBP max. Over time and much experimentation I've slowly moved to the specs I play best with and I've found that a racket with those specs can be very affordable. Also, since I like lighter rackets and have a fast swing, my rackets don't last years and years. they can only survive a very limited amount of clashes. I'd rather not pay a high price for a racket that might not last long depending on my luck.

4. scamp

scamp Regular Member

You can get decent rackets for £50. People happy to pay £150+ cannot see they are being exploited?! If you find a racket comfortable for you and get a decent string why is there need to pay crazy money! It will not make a huge diufference. Some amateurs think they are pros and need the most expensive gear or have a big ego.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it's like cars. all cars (well... most... :) ) will get you from point A to point B, whether they are 50hp or 500hp. some ppl like to buy expensive cars coz they have disposable income. same that some ppl like to buy more expensive rackets. to each their own.

6. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I agree. Badminton Rackets are like cars lol. I would be willing to spend around 200 or less.

#6 badmintonpog1, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    To be honest I spend more on stringing than on rackets :(

s_mair, Cheung, speCulatius and 2 others like this.
  8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Why the sad face?! That's good I would say :). Better spend money on strings than rackets if a player is serious about his/her game.

Fresh strings are as (more?) important as the racket anyway. Finding the right string and tension too. I'm happier with fresh strings/experimenting new strings than buying a new racket I don't actually need. (Was about to buy a DZS lately but decided not to at the last minute... :rolleyes: I guess I'll get it when mine are broken or over used)

Goosuto likes this.
  9. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    The cost is just too much, especially when I used to break 1-2 strings a week. I rather have strings that never break so I dont have to spend money on it lol

10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Ok it is a lot. I restring 1 to 2 racket every month so it's not as heavy as you on my wallet...

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Even cars need servicing. So do badminton equipment. :). My kid has been breaking strings pretty frequently (66UM) and she has four racquets... In fact, because I am a bit worried about having enough racquets for a competition, I am considering getting a fifth racquet for her. It so happened at a competition, two racquets were at the stringer and of her remaining two, one of them had fraying strings. Her racquets are 100USD each so I could afford another.

My present ZF2 were bought second hand.

#11 Cheung, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Cesium likes this.
  12. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

€120 for Victor BS-12
    €100 for Duora 8XP
    €115 for Duora Z-Strike

I guess my limit is around that price range. I think I was willing to spend around €120-140 max when looking for new rackets but because you really have no idea what to expect until you actually use the racket I prefer to pay €100-120. Usually I'm looking at rackets that were once flagship or well regarded to drop in price after 6-12 months. Brand new flagship releases are always very expensive.

I literally just bought that Duora 8XP today as a sort of alternative option to my Z-Strike and can't wait to test it out!

#12 seanc6441, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  13. raistian

raistian Regular Member

AUD 300 (about USD 210) is my limit. I lean towards high-end racquets for the period: CAB20, CAB21, AT800DE, AT800OF, NS9900, PP, Gosen Inferno Ltd (which I don't like).

Haven't upgraded for a long time. All the racquets are in active service except the PP (broke 2 of them - clashes & high tension).

I'm on the market for a new racquet & notice that prices are creeping up, but there's more choice nowadays. Currently tossing between Wucht P7 or AX88S or another PP.

For me it's price is relative to how long they last. At the moment they're not expensive considering each racquet last 8+ years. If I only got a year out of a racquet I'd consider it expensive.

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    159€ / 176USD (frame only) are my personal limit. I buy minimum 2, normally 3 of the same model. Play them exclusive for a few years and mostly they are in the condition to get half to a third of the price back when I sell them. If I want to be precise: The 3 last rackets I bought for 380€ total (with discount, promo code etc), played them 3 years, broke one, sold two for 200€. So I end up spending 180€ for playing with 3 high ends for 3 years.

15. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Do you buy 3 immediately or do you test the waters with 1 first?

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Good question. Normally I fade in 1 racket when I know it is time to change when one is broken or worn down and no replacement in new condition easily at a local place available is the general reason). Once I'm adjusted I stay as long as the frames don't have any faulty issues like cracking handle or sinking and are available. That's for me the reason to buy high ends. Higher chance to get them for several years in new condition locally compared to any Omega Zeta Power Blitz 009xyz.