Badminton in Winsbergring Hamburg, Germany

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jayelle, Sep 4, 2019.

1. jayelle

jayelle New Member

Hi Guys,

Greetings from Singapore!!

I'll be outstation to Hamburg for a few weeks in Nov - Dec.
    Can anyone advise on any groups that i can join and play with?

Thanks in advance!

JL

phihag likes this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I'm not from Hamburg, but as a native German speaker, I may be able to help.
    In Germany, there are two basic ways of playing: Commercial centers and clubs.

A commercial center is a for-profit badminton hall (most centers also cater to other sports) where you can book a court at any time. You pay per hour&court. You come as a group, and only play on your designated courts. However, many centers have boards where you can search other players to play against, and may even be able to procure a coach upon request. The average level is rather low; most people play with plastic shuttles, and have not mastered basic technique, and play with panhandle grip and minimal movement. You can buy or rent rackets, shuttles, and maybe even further badminton equipment at a center.

Winsbergring is a tiny side-street in the west of Hamburg, and all centers I could find are in the east:
    Good players in Germany play and train in clubs ("Vereine", also translated as registered association). Clubs/associations are non-commercial entities formed by their members. Only a handful of Badminton clubs in Germany employ half-time/full-time coaches or organizers, although large multi-sports clubs often have an office where you can register or call.
    You pay about 100-200€ per year, although some clubs may also offer half-year, quarterly or monthly membership. You can generally try out a couple of times, free of charge. Clubs have fixed playing times, usually some week days in the evening. They usually play in school halls. It is not unusual for a club to play in two or more different halls, e.g. Mondays 20:00-22:00 in hall A and Fridays 19:30-22:00 in hall B.
    Many clubs have training in groups. Level can vary from beginner to second Bundesliga, e.g. players competing at international tournaments.
    It's often a good idea to WhatsApp / email / call anyone on the club homepage, but you can also just show up. In rare cases, that may not work out though, because the club is hosting a team game, tournament, is playing at a different venue because of repairs etc. .
    There are a few clubs where shuttles are included in the price, but almost always you must bring sports shoes, racket, and shuttles, and there will be no option to buy or rent anything there.

Here is a list of all clubs in Hamburg. Close to Winsbergring, that is:
    • BTV Mondays 19:00-22:00, Thursdays 19:30-22:00
    • ATSV Wednesdays 18:30-22:00, Fridays 18:30-22:00
    • TVGF Tuesdays 20:00-21:45
    • ATV Wednesdays 19:30-21:30, Friday 20:00-22:00
    • HSV Mondays 9:30-12:00, Mondays 20:00-22.30, Thursdays 20:00-22:30
    • ETV For high-level players (contact first): Mondays 20:00-22:00 Uhr, Thursdays 20:00-22:30
      For hobby players: Mondays 19:00-22:00 and 19:30-22:00, Tuesdays 20:00-22:00, Wednesdays 19:00-22:00, Thursdays 20:00-22:00, Fridays 17:00-20:00 and 19:00-22:00.
    If you want to travel farther, there are even more clubs. Again, you can go through the official list of clubs, or just search Badminton with google maps. Be aware that the locations shown in google maps will often be the location of the club's office or president. The address of the hall will be on the webpage. When you contact the club, they will likely tell you the hall's address, or you can just ask.

#2 phihag, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    endFX, Ankush Gour and speCulatius like this.
  3. jayelle

jayelle New Member

Dear Phihag,

Appreciate for kind assistance with such great detail, explanations and introduction!

Just made contact as your recommendation on the above with "ETV"and they had already contacted me with all the details.

Hope we meet someday in Germany for games in Nov-Dec.

Cheers!

speCulatius likes this.
  4. Ankush Gour

Ankush Gour New Member

Hello Jayelle and Phihag,
    Good to find some badminton information for Hamburg. I moved to Hamburg from Singapore last year July and have recently started looking for clubs and players to get back into the game.
    Ankush