HSBC BWF WORLD TOUR FINALS 2019 | 11-15 December (Group Stage-Final)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2019.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They lost to Russian pair. That was no luck favoring the Indonesians back then.
    They beat Fu/Zhang on the way but lost to Iva/Soz? Tough luck:rolleyes:

SpursIndonesia and wade like this.
  2. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

herry never says target watanabe
    as far as i know
    he ask sandra to smash at the middle of the court

rhoder likes this.
  3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

not skip, but retire before WC 2021. it's not easy to keep their form for another 2 years. so i highly doubt they will defend the title.

4. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Yeah. beside, I don't remember the last time herry or aryono tell ahsan/hendra to specifically target 1 player and isolated them. the last time they done that was probably in dubai 2015 when the coach specifically tell them to target yys.

5. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Thanks!

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I'm sure now they want to win as many as (SS) titles. Somehow despite their age, it looked easy for them to enter any Final. LeeWang is top 8 and got demolished by them.

I'd say ShettyRR is a threat next year. They can beat almost any opponents in the top it looks like.

7. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

You're right. Their success right now is a mix of (feel free to disagree) high skill, experience, mental strength, choice of battles (e.g. taking it easy against Lee/Wang in Group stage or intentionally giving up second set of WC19 against Hoki Koba when they know they can't win, etc.), luck of draw and of course - Endo and Watanabe who always do them a favour to dispose of the minions while failing to win the title themselves.

They would need the right combination of these every year to maintain their form.

Yoji likes this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Host China once again showing their domination in season-ending event, scoops three titles to repeat last year successful. Zheng/Huang are back on winning track to outplay Wang/Huang, totally different fashion how they facing foreign competitors. They smashed all the way to penetrate teammates to show who's the boss this time, practically one sided match, cresendo after the world number one struggling much en route to final. Another superiority showcase is exhibited by Chen QC/Jia YF who implementing offensive style, flat drive to bombard their opponent, reminiscent with their predecessor Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang. In other side, an awful performance by Matsumoto/Nagahara who commit many unforced errors that delivering cheap points for the Chinese.

Six-year waiting ends today for China WS when their number one player emerges as champion, growing confidence towards Tokyo OG. Chen Yufei proves her All England victory is no fluke to defeat nemesis and toughest opponent Tai Tzu Ying. The Chinese can anticipate well almost Tai Tzu Ying quality shots that quite frustrating former champion who can't control her erorrs (as usual) and drift, the well prepared Chen follows her opponent long rally patiently and seize the opportunity to punch with hard smash. Lack of speed, accuracy and power of attacking shots contributing world number one failure this time.

As predicted match of final day goes to men's singles, 87 minutes heart pumping duel between two players who have similar style of play. Tight net shot, agility, speed and smash but Momota has better endurance and mental state. After sharing one game apiece with exactly same scoreline, the deciding game witnessing SGP open dejavu when Momota made great comeback post interval break, trailing behind 5-12 to end 21-14. Ginting asked medical treatment for his right toe at 14-17 position, a sign of defeat for the Indonesian. Momota reverses his silver medal to gold medal and closes 2019 with outstanding note, two-time World Champion surpasses Lee Chong Wei record to nail 11 titles in one year BWF calendar.

The Minions collect eight titles in 2019 but all major event in this year grabbed by their illustrious seniors Ahsan/Setiawan, age is just a number for the Daddies. The vast experienced pair really dependable to fulfill the expectation including the last one in Guangzhou. Their signature one-two shots to get the point with right placement, superb counter attack and unpredictable defense shots making Endo/Watanabe uncomfortable with this pattern. Having chance to force rubber games, 16-10 lead but in brief time the Daddies are back to level scoreline and pocketing US$126,000. Overall, it's really close contest and showing the Japanese pair are dangerous threat for Indonesia men's doubles, should be alert for Thomas Cup campaign next year.

2020 will arrive imminently, all sport enthusiasts certainly will pay attention for Summer Olympic Games (24th July-9th August), the biggest multi-sport events in this planet. BWF World Tour resumes on January with two Super 500 & one Super 300 tournament in South East Asia region.

visor, kurako, Sundis and 2 others like this.
  9. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Adding to that:
    I think, it is also up to their flexibility in tactics and the ability to owning up to their mistakes very fast. The finals that they won with injuries and whatnot, indicates for me that they can freely change what they want in the game. If you see all the finals that they won, they always manage to do exactly that. In this one, Ahsan's (probably) slight injury, and Hendra's unstable service, made them change a bit how they play. Compare that to Asian Games that they won in Korea, where Ahsan is clearly the back player of the 2.

Also, Hendra seems to be hungrier for winning somehow. He is more vocal and expressive (Considering how he is normally).

Yoji and wade like this.
  10. Morten Frost Hansen

Morten Frost Hansen Regular Member

Dear All
    It has been a pleasure to follow all your comments over the year.
    WTF is finished and we had a very good finals day.
    Interesting though, that most members of this forum is interested in MS and MD.
    The biggest debate is always connected to the "Minions".
    Only 51 pages in regards to this years WTF!
    I can only speak for myself, however I have agreed to a new two year contract, which means that some have to turn the volume down, hehe.
    I just want to wish you ALL a fantastic festive season and hope the world will live in peace.
    Take care ALL of you badminton central members.
    Traveling home to Denmark tomorrow, spending good quality time with family and friends.
    All the best
    Morten

SimonCarter, CLELY, azerez and 22 others like this.
  11. Morten Frost Hansen

I have some questions!
    What would it take to make our sport even more professional, even more worldwide?
    What's the way forward for badminton?
    How do you see badminton in ten years time?
    Do badminton need Europe?

12. Morten Frost Hansen

Most follow one player/pair. Most have a few favourites.
    Everyone is standing on the shoulders of the one before

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by this?

14. Morten Frost Hansen

9 nations, 40 possible entries
    38 entries from Asia, 2 from Europe
    Will badminton become like tennis or golf?

15. Morten Frost Hansen

I think badminton needs the whole world

LenaicM and Justin L like this.
  16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yes Morten. I had the similar doubt when i saw the entries and only two Europeans , that too from Denmark alone. This seems like Badminton is becoming more and more Asian . Hopefully the new Concept of "AirBadminton" might change this perspective and the whole world starts to follow it.

17. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

you'd have to ask the tennis fans why they love the sport, given the following cons.

1. the match can last for 3-4 hours if it goes to 5 sets (and to think BWF is trying to shorten match time).
    2. it is mostly play outdoors, hence fans are willing to brave the heat watching it.

18. Morten Frost Hansen

Great to have some arguments.
    I think, money controls mostly. the more money at stake, the more interest!

19. Morten Frost Hansen

Would raise the number of tournaments counting towards the World ranking help?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Couldn't agree with you more. That's what I was about to say, badminton needs the entire world and truly becomes a world sport one day!

LenaicM likes this.