Are shoes important?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Zohar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

So far, I've been using training, indoors shoes Asics 540-TR:

https://www.asics.com/nz/en-nz/gel-540-tr-(2e-wide)/p/0010266019.400

They were comfortable enough, and I didn't bother, for example, replacing them before or after playing (i.e. I walk with them on the street as well).

A friend told me that shoes are more important than a racket, and you feel it in the game. He made it sound like the only reason Lin Dan beats me is because I don't have proper shoes.

Is he pulling my leg?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  3. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

shoes are more important than any equipment. Shirt and jacket? Go nude who cares. Racket? It makes a difference but for me its only 10% of the story, 90% skill, doesnt matter if you use the 'best racket' if there is such thing if your technique and skill is junk. Shoe on the other hand allows for smooth movement around the court, grip on the floor, absorption of impact upon lunging and landing, locks and protects important joints like the ankle. It prevents and minimizes chances of injury. No point having the best looking shirt and racket when you need to be on crutches. But your a good shoe can do little against lousy footwork too all things considered

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Lets discuss each equipment on badminton.

Chothing. Like btj1 said, goes naked & it wont affect you if you had no shame. But im pretty sure it would affect your opponent in single seeing you naked:p.

Racket. Pick the wrong racket. Going for extreme example like using U head heavy racket & even adding lead tape covering the whole frame. At most it will sluggish your movement & the worst case is that you might feel sore on your arm/wrist. Its not like your arm will pop out instantly & most likely you lose your racket & it fly to your opponent direction:eek:

String. Kinda similar to racket. Pick a super thin string & it will just snap in your 1st swing. Or use 50lbs tension. At most it will only affect your gameplay & maybe some sore in your hand, tho i doubt there is a racket that could survive 50lbs.

Shoes. Here it is. At best you might feel tired or sore on your foot coz lack of cushioning or support. The worst case, you might tripped your feet coz its slippery & doing Jean Claude Van Demme split forcefully in a painfull way & not cool at all:confused:. Or rolling on your ankle & you would need to rest for a year to recover. So your risk with shoes is not just you feel some pain & resting for a day you would be able to do some action again, but instant injury that might force you to rest for a month or a year or even retire forever. Finally, its your own body & your life. Would you take the risk for harming your own health badly? It just probability , not absolutely 100% you will injury yourself & maybe it just 20% chance you will roll your ankle, but would you take the risk?

What is the most precious thing in life?
    For me its health & definitely not wealth. With health i can work to find my wealth & with health i can do many thing including my hobby on badminton or simply expending all my wealth.

5. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

Agree. People always say nahhh what are the odds of a healthy me getting injured. They dont realize that its the same idea behind buying insurance. Accidents only need to happen once and prevention is better than cure

6. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I'm starting to recall that at the time, I actually looked into shoes with a gum sole. My issue with them was that they were cheap and uncomfortable compared to the high end cross-training shoes.

I'm not sure if a low profile (or a thin sole) is an advantage. It means less cushioning (e.g. knees) and less comfort.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what specific advantage a cheap shoe that is defined as a badminton shoe has over a high end training shoe, considering:
    - lateral movement support
    - sole traction
    - comfort

For example, my high end local store has (only):
    - ASICS 800XTR M
    - ASICS GEL-540 TR (2E WIDE) -- my choice since I started playing.

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I wouldn't be worried using that shoe for badminton. It's a high quality court shoe, nothing's wrong with that. Specific badminton shoes might have small advantages, but it's nothing like the differences between running shoes and badminton shoes.

Now, this is absolutely irresponsible unless you clean them throughly every time before you get on court and I highly doubt that. Taking all the dirt from outside and rub it on court makes it slippery for everybody playing and that can be dangerous. I don't care whether you slip with your shoes or not, that's your choice and your problem, but making the floor slippery for everybody else is irresponsible.

Again, that's assuming that you don't clean them throughly every time.

Just because I've heard some excuses before...
    "The floor is slippery anyway." doesn't count. It's slippery because there's dirt. Where does it come from? Why did they give up cleaning it regularly? It's people carrying the dirt in most of the time.

It doesn't even safe money to use the same shoes for everything, because they'll last much shorter.

Cheung likes this.
  8. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I haven't considered the dirt thing, I'll try to keep it in mind.
    Re using a single pair; it's about traveling light. I take the bus, and I don't even have a racket bag, I just run in the street with one racket in my hand.

My local ShoeClinic store says:

"The crosstrainers you have mentioned - Asics 800XTR & 540TR (which you have had in the past) are general-purpose Cross Trainers.
    - Asics 800XTR is a cushioned running based Crosstrainer suitable for walking/running and also court sports, it has a Hard-wearing rubber outsole suitable for indoor and outdoor.
    - Asics 540TR is more suited to court sports and less suited to walking/running, also has a Hard-wearing rubber outsole suitable for indoor and outdoor.

In terms of your parameters for the Blast FF
    - This shoe has superior lateral movement support over the 540&800 as it is designed with this sport and other fast-paced indoor sports in mind.
    - This shoe has superior sole traction when used for indoor sports (outside or on concrete/tarseal the sole will wear out much quicker) is not design for outdoor.
    - Comfort is depending on the person.
    - There is good cushioning much like the 540, but there is less cushioning in this shoe VS the 800 as the sole is thinner and lower to the ground to gain more stability."

9. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Good that I could bring up a point you didn't consider before. That's why we're here.

I take the bus/metro/train/bicycle/... whenever I go to training, not having a bag wouldn't help me with that. While shoes are heavier than a racket, they're easier to put in any kind of bag to carry along....

I don't know these particular Asics shoes, but it's a good brand and they call it court shoe... that should be fine. Having clean shoes on a clean floor might open your eyes though. ;)

10. cueteachme

cueteachme Regular Member

Lin dan was superior to all because of his aerodynamically superior hair, not racket or shoes. Look at Beijing Olympics, his hair did most of the braking during net lunges, saving his legs from spending more energy.

Anyway i believe any indoor court shoes will do fine. Those low profile indoor shoes are mostly for advanced players with the right landing technique during lunges.

11. ariachris56

ariachris56 New Member

Obviously shores are more important than any other things if your shoes will not comfortable you will not play easily, mostly also prefer to wear lightweight shoes. You don't need a specific shoe for badminton but it always helps as it is designed for badminton purpose

12. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

(I'm bold; do you think I can get a wig to enjoy the aerodynamic effect?)

Yeah, but that was the question: is there something special in a designated badminton shoe (e.g. compared to a squash shoe) or is it just a sales gimmick? Since it's probably just a sales gimmick why not just go with a comfortable cross-training shoe.

Yesterday, I tried them both.
    The 540tr is a bit more comfortable, but not by much. Asics may have shitty quality, and your shoes may fall apart quite quickly, but they are damn comfortable.
    The 540tr was more comfortable since it had additional gel padding at the heel. But they also felt a bit higher.
    The 540tr feels more bulky.
    The sole material of the 540tr is different, and it supposed to have less tackiness. For example, there are wide ridges across the sole, while the blast ff is totally flat. There's no problem to go outdoors with the 540tr. The blast ff, on the other hand, has a gum sole. When it gets hot, particles stick to it, and when it cools down, they remain there.

I decided to (buy and) try the blast ff.

cueteachme likes this.
  13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

its all come back to how we play. If we move like Fast & Furious then having higher end with more protection is good for us to prevent injury. But if you move like gocart, low end or indoor court shoes is good to have & high end is just a bonus protection.
    But again, it just probability. It might be just 20% or 10% you would injury, but would you take the risk?