How to increase jump distance and increase angle between legs

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Udbhav, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

Could someone please suggest me drills and exercises to increase my jumping distance in chasse/china jump. I am unable to reach the back court corner in one chasse step + china /chasse jump.

Also my legs are not flexible enough it would be great if someone could suggest some stretches and exercises so that my legs can be stretched with a larger angle between them than they do now.

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

A Throughout stretching video is planned for the future, but I will not make it this year anymore.
    Until then, this is a good start though:

intrepid and ralphz like this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

My footwork isn't good, but my leg flexibility is ok..I don't have a clue re singles footwork but I know doubles footwork to an extent..

This kind of stretch would be useful for badminton if you struggle with it

But is that really needed for the footwork you are speaking of?

How much distance can you put between your legs? hip width? shoulder width? one racket? 1.5 rackets? 2 rackets? (I don't know exactly how many rackets a badminton player needs.. but 1.5 is probably ok). If you struggle with that then maybe even consider getting a leg stretcher device off amazon.. maybe try yoga. or pilates, maybe try a karate class, the warm up for karate can be amazing for leg flexibility.. Stretching a muscle e.g. the legs shouldn't be painful, it should be fairly pleasant. You should be able to talk while you do it, if you were to..

As far as moving a greater distance.. Try to put markers down in the garden or park or somewhere outdoors, and see how far you get.. You don't need any great power in badminton.. Many badminton players are fairly unremarkable athletes. One time I thought that when I chassed back I didn't get far back enough. I practised in the garden.. Ended up going more than far back enough. I then tried to apply it on the badminton court, I went so far back off the court that my back foot stepped on somebody's racket that was resting against a bench a good distance from the back - snapping their racket in two! People are moving back far enough even at 50+

Don't let yourself come high off the ground when you chasse. Stay low so all your power isn't lost the wrong way.

It's good if you can do at least 5 bodyweight squats. (squats with no weight added onto your back).. But some people can't and move just fine. Some try box jumps...

You could find a sports hall and just chasse along, see the distance you can cover, measure it.. try to improve. Really it's not like trying to do the long jump.

4. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

Also while doing chasse should my legs be straight or bent ( as in somewhat squat position)?

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Somewhat squat. Not sure how much but definitely not straight and not even near straight..

A standard "beginner" error when a person is moving or meant to be ready for the shuttle, is their legs are straight. Sometimes better players legs go straight accidentally, and unconsciously, when playing with bad players and they get lazy 'cos they don't have to move so much, but legs should be bent at the knee.

If legs are straight then you won't chasse as far, and also, for any leg movement, your muscles will be less loaded to make your first move quickly, f they are straight. Having knees bent provides more "spring".

Some coaches even suggest it a good idea for the person they are coaching to wear shorts, because then they can see for sure their knees are bent. and it's not so clear when they wear tracksuit trousers. It's considered really important generally in badminton. And perhaps some even wear shorts as they make for less restriction when bending the knees. And not coincidentally I think if a person is doing a squatting exercise, then it is easier in shorts, as tracksuit trousers may need some adjustment to squat.

#5 ralphz, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

Could you please suggest some videos , so that I can practice and correct my technique ( if its wrong) ?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you have a video? That would help people give you more specific advice.

Mason and DarkHiatus like this.
  8. Udbhav

Udbhav Regular Member

I am not allowed to take my phone out of my bag once I enter the court, all the photos you have seen before are from the court at my hometown.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OK. I guess that is a limitation. You can work on strength but we wouldn't be able to give feedback on whether your body movement and position are areas to work that might help you a lot.

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

if that's the only restriction that's no problem because chasses can be done anywhere, in the garden, in the street, anywhere.. and you are asking about knees being bent.

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

jimmylin videos are fairly respected here.. i've never seen anybody on the forum not agree with anything.. I know some may not agree with everything(like I know a good player that doesn't agree with something about his stroke, though he doesn't hit a shuttle), but I think anybody would be OK with his knee bending.. His video starts about 22 seconds in.

"somewhat squat" , as you so eloquently put it, is a good description.. 'cos it's not squatting down as far as one should in a squatting exercise. But it's more than just bending a bit. Also I notice that how bent it is varies during his movement, which is good i'm sure.

As for a video of how not to do it, there's a video posted in this thread here https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/please-help-me-improve-my-techniques-double-games.183190/ with lots of "beginner level" players

So the guy on the near side on the left is hitting it, hiis knees may be ok.. but look at the other players.. that are meant to be ready for the shuttle to come.. the guy in the yellow shorts his legs are straight , close, and crossed over each other like he is waiting forever at a bus stop and won't need to move any time soon. And the guy directly opposite the guy that is hitting it, has straight legs, is clearly not ready to move, looks like he is admiring his opponent's shot, and is not well placed to be going to retrieve the shuttle. (and at that level, maybe they're kind of right to not be ready for the shuttle to come back!! but it's a good habit to be ready) . You don't want legs straight like that when you are moving, (and if you are not playing a silly game, you don't want your legs like that when waiting for your shot).

[​IMG]

I don't know what it'd look like if somebody tried to chasse with straight legs.. never seen anybody try that.. it'd be a kind of humpty dumpty type move..

I think if somebody tried to chasse without bending their knees enough, they'd be moving like an old person on a zimmoframe.. I was told years ago that I wasn't bending my knees enough, so maybe I was like that when doing chasses.. I hope I am not still like that. I don't have a video of that for you at hand, but it'd look very unatheletic! and it'd be slow.

#11 ralphz, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019