Badminton Specific Exercises and Workouts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by speCulatius, Apr 12, 2019.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I was the coach, so no training for me, but I did get to practice my voice.

It was one to two hours in the morning for getting them in better shape, then again three hours in the afternoon for technique, so I was only talking about the one to two hours in the morning. It was divided into three blocks, maybe I get an idea how to get it down in an easily shareable format, maybe even a video.

Next video is for you then!

2. speCulatius

This time an on court drill that fits this description ....

I hope you like it.

Ballschubser, s_mair, Mason and 2 others like this.
  3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Nice video sadly I do not have access to a court until late August but that will be on my to-do list for sure !

If you can just write down the physical exercise that you gave during the training camp that would be more than enough for me. I do not do more than one hour a session since I do them after my day of work.

speCulatius likes this.
  4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Great video thank you

speCulatius likes this.
  5. speCulatius

Dropped you a pm, if you have any ideas how to approach that to share with everybody, let me know. ;)

6. speCulatius

New Video!

s_mair, SimonCarter and Cheung like this.
  7. speCulatius

Almost two weeks ago, the numbers of my channel started going crazy... compared to before at least. It's still a little weird to me, but with more than 500 subscribers now and either a few stalkers watching my videos non stop or many people watching a little bit, I thought it was time to try something a little different. It's a short video that contains a lot of information, trying to stick with my style of videos. I hope you like it.

By the way, the guy giving me the answer that's the quote of the day had to do burpees for it... but only five.

Cheung, SimonCarter and s_mair like this.
  8. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

Hi.. Could u also advice on when people should incorporate this routines?

For example, I myself played 3 times a week (mon-wed-fri) and they are usually 2-3hr sessions (roughly 4-5 rubber sets equivalent or 12-15sets). How would I incorporate this routines apart for weekends?

9. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Just took a look and saw you were over 1K subscribers! Congrats! (Time to monetize, haha) After one year of making videos I've noticed the ebb and flow of Youtube is impossible to predict so enjoy the times of feasting and just plow through the famine. :p

10. speCulatius

That's a good idea, it really depends on which exercise you're talking about and on everybody's schedule. Also, there's different ideas out there on how to train.

Classical periodization would start with basic stamina, and to towards more explosive movements closer to the competition. That's done in a four year (Olympics) cycle and broken down to 4 to 8 smaller cycles for one or two highlight competitions per year. This can be adapted to badminton with much more than one or two competitions per year.
    Then, there are programs with much success using a totally different approach that is starting to get more and more interesting. Every morning, every athlete had to measure it's heart rate variability, based on that, it's decided what to train (each period lasting at least 3 days). Since many watches are now able to measure the HRV (sometimes called stress level or something like that, that can include more measurements, but HRV is one of them), it's getting interesting for not professional athletes... but how to put all that information in an easy to watch video?

If you want to add something to your playing schedule, my warm up is a nice start, because it includes some stability/holding strength and not just warming up.
    Then there's plenty to choose from depending on if you want to go for speed or longer intervals. Speed should be done at the beginning, longer intervals can just be added after your training session. Don't forget to cool down.
    What would you think about a video for a real time training at home, no additional timer needed?

Thank you. The algorithm must have some weird magic to it. I can see some things where some new people are guided to my channel, but who knows if they'll like it.
    About monetizing, I do have some videos on my list that require so much work that I cannot justify making just for fun and that might draw a lot more people's attention, putting some more pressure on me (well, I mostly do that). Most of my videos would not be there on that imperfect way if I'd ever have guessed that I'd reach more than 1000 subscribers.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

"What would you think about a video for a real time training at home, no additional timer needed?"
    That's a great idea.. Would definitely be interested in that..

Would also like to hear more about the HRV based training (since I have such watch). Since I don't have much free time, this would be my go basis to schedule my routine once I know how. Recovery is also key so I can continue to "play to win" while also improving myself

I guess such a video would be more of a lecture instead of a workout based video advicing on when a player could integrate one of your workout/training videos into their routine.

You could start by using 4 likely examples of a badminton player typical schedule. For example, a 3 days a week player, working days only player, once a week player or weekend warrior.

It would be a great way of integrating your various workout/training videos into those typical schedule.

#51 Azmi Yusof, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Cheung, endFX and speCulatius like this.
  12. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Don't fall into the perfectionist trap! Having less-than-perfect videos is better than NO video (because you don't want to release it until it is perfect and then never release it because it is never perfect.) Your videos already have better graphics and production quality than my little ghetto videos, haha. I look back at my videos from even a few months ago and cringe at how bad they are, but oh well. What can you do? Creation is a process and you are helping people improve badminton, so keep it up!

speCulatius likes this.
  13. speCulatius

Totally agree... in theory. For my last video, I was about to delete the entire footage, because I want happy about the LED flickering... which didn't show on the cameras display. It wasn't my camera, so I wasn't just as familiar with it. And your words are precisely what I said to myself.

Haha... thanks, but I know it's a lie. You pay way more attention to music, funny details, ... I'm pretty sure your editing takes longer than mine (well, for most of my videos). The graphics I use are just left over from some time ago, it's nice they're not wasted. Thanks @s_mair for giving me a chance to dig them up and then not using them. ;)

Anyway, I just got an email from YouTube, I thought it was cute...[​IMG]

Edit:
    @Borkya only
    What would make your videos more nice to watch to my eyes is taking care of positioning your eyes at around 2/3 of the height instead of trying to just exactly fit your head in the picture. Just my opinion.

Cheung and s_mair like this.
  14. speCulatius

Merry Christmas everyone and despite me being lazy it's getting more and more subscribers, more and more views and... more and more people asking about technique videos.
    You were the ones here with me from the start, so if anybody has an opinion on that, please feel free to share it. I know how I want to approach it for the near future, but I'm happy to read your take on that.

For now, there's a new video that I just uploaded. I have an idea for a new year's video, but I'm not sure I manage to finish that in time, so... enjoy!

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Nice, Badmintoncenter Mösenbruch. :p:rolleyes:

speCulatius likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Note to myself: Always think about the likeliest results before blindly google words...

speCulatius and ucantseeme like this.
  17. speCulatius

Yeah... it's Mörsenbroich, I was wondering if that was autocorrected and if so: Why? Or maybe it's a joke...? Or just a Typo?

But googling something without thinking about the results can be funny... when using LaTeX to write something about quantum mechanics and trying to find out what to do to get the Bra-Ket notation right.

s_mair likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Inside the circle of my friends we always say Mösenbruch. We also tend to create new names for everything which sounds close. We have a big stack of these jokes. Mösenbruch is one of them. Goh V Shem get called Klogeschlemm, Shin Baek Choel - Schimmel Joe and the best is for Mannepong Jongjit. We say "Mal ne Bong zum Shiiit".

A few years back at the YGO after some Rotkäppchen and Vodka we started with Max Weißbierchen. My bad was, that we talked about Badminton in the stadium and I said Max Weißbierchen in a badminton related talk, but he was just 3 seats away and starred at me angry. I hope the german guys here have a good laugh on this crazy stuff.

#58 ucantseeme, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  19. speCulatius

Happy new year, everybody!
    I would say 2020 is ready for a challenge, so...
    PSX_20200103_112903.jpg
    But there's some more news, so I'll get back to it.
    While the boost the YouTube algorithm gave my channel as an early Christmas present is over, the channel has more than 1500 by now, which is just crazy to me, so thanks for that. While it probably doesn't make a difference for you around here, it might a difference for others, so I decided to come back to social media (after taking an almost ten year break from everything but BC), so you can find me on Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/playfasterthanyourshadow/

The next video.... well, it's a pair of videos, had been recorded for a long time already, I was just avoiding the amount of work this needed when editing. It really was a lot more work than the other videos and it's still far from perfect... but I would really like if you rated it on YouTube, wrote comments there and shared it... it's a challenge that not only badminton players can take!

Big THANKS to @s_mair one more time, but probably not for the last time! Not only for being the first to participate, but also for the patience to wait for (and forget about) the final video.

Let's see how many participate in this challenge! If you need help to get there, there's two simple exercises to get there

And seriously, I'd be happy if you shared the challenge video

SimonCarter and s_mair like this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I hereby would like to add that the scoring details were still under construction at the time when I shot my clip. Else I would have done a one legged backflip as finishing move.... ;)

And congrats to those 1620 subscribers! That's just great! :D

Cheung and speCulatius like this.