Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good work. Much lighter on your feet and good rhythm.

Still not getting that right leg forward on some scissor kicks but it is happening less. Agree about the arm.

Can see that your rallies in games are getting tougher and you can match up better.

Keep practicing being on your toes.

Mason likes this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to do quite a bit of training yesterday before games. Here’s my drop net lift drill, smash net left drill and then some smash/ smash defense. i feel like I’ve already improved in my footwork from from court to back ....

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are my shots.

I was able to play with more skilled players today which exposed my weakness. I was however at least able to “keep up” with the games. I’ll keep training!!! I also tried to have my left arm flail around less but from this video it appears that still is a problem. My front court side to side movement was much better , I think that’s because of all the split step practicing I’ve been doing :cool:

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Watch this video from Tago Ken [former japan men's single] he demonstrates how to transform energy using your body correctly. It will help you a lot.

5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Drop shot: You should integrate a little split when going forward to take the net shot (drop shot->recover->split->forward->net shot).
    Smash: You are not taking in a square defense stance when receiving a smash, your feets are almost parallel to the sidelines. This way you will have a hard time to fend off any shuttle to your body or to your right side.

6. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

It seems like you focus too much on the shot, that you forget to plan ahead. You can see, that after the shuttle leaves the racket, your movement falters and you just look if the shuttle is good enough to score a point or not. Regardless if you train the scissor kick night and day, if you are not able to chance your mental approach in a game, you body will not learn to move accordingly.

So, when you hit the shuttle, try to plan where you will move afterwards and try to do it accordingly. A simple start would be to return to the center line after an attack, just think abou it when hitting the shuttle. Later on you can try to plan ahead accordingly to the situation.

Mason likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is a good simple suggestion that I agree with help me a lot.

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Your videos of this are fantastic.. Looking at how you are going forwards, It looks very much that when you go forwards you are going all the way in one go, knowing that they are going to do a net shot. You aren't meant to do that, that's very unrealistic. After you do the shot from the back, there's the footwork to get back to the centre, and then you should be stopped, and then the footwork to go forward or backwards, depending on whether they do a net shot or a clear. It's good if you don't know if they will do a net shot or lift or clear. At least do the drill as if you don't know.

My footwork isn't great.. Glad you improved your footwork going back.. Is the adjustment you made for the footwork going back, to do cross over steps going back when at the front? (rather than side shuffles / chasses)

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was told to do chasse steps going back for most of the lifts unless they are high and long
    And I was never taught to do a split split half way back to the front , probably because this is a basic drill and I believe designed for you be get from the front court to the back court and the back court to the front, with one smooth motion.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

0.13 and 0.20 footwork to get to the net.

Note your position is near the back tramlines

Good work in getting your right leg forward after hitting the shuttle.

Your normal movement is to do crossover running steps. You probably find it is a bit awkward timing to hit the shuttle at the front of the court.

Try this footwork pattern:

After hitting the shuttle and landing with right leg forward, for the first step do a skip forward (not crossover running step). For the skip, keep the right foot forward like a chasse. This skip is what your drill is missing.

With the skip, aim to time your landing when your training partner has hit the shuttle. Keep your centre of gravity low.

You will be between halfway to one third at the back of the court.

After your landing your skip (right foot forward), do crossover running steps, left leg and then right leg. The right leg lands in a lunge with your arm outstretched to hit the shuttle.

This sequence is a basic footwork sequence drill. There's no splitstep.

Mason and DarkHiatus like this.
  11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The drill is definitely designed partly for you to get from the front to the back in one go, because that's realistic if you do a net shot and they lift it.

I am not talking about doing or not doing a split step. I personally would recover(split or not), to the middle after doing a clear, if the drill involved clearing from the back. After a drop, as you are doing, perhaps it doesn't matter so much after a drop, at least for the drill, and perhaps even what you are doing of coming all the way forward after the drop, is good.

#891 ralphz, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For receiving smash, your right foot is placed too far forwards. What happens is you can’t move side to side so easily. Have it almost the same distance away from the net as your left foot. Also do a little bounce when the opponent hits the shuttle. That will help your rhythm and timing.

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This makes sense , but I’m not exactly sure what the skip looks like . Any videos of how this looks ?

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok will do, but in a realistic game setting if I’m square to the attacker waiting for a smash (feet side by side )will I be able to quickly move back if they do an attacking clear ?
    That was the reason why I was having my right leg a bit forward so that I could defend a smash but also move forward on a drop or move backwards for a clear...

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

12.10 of this video when Tai Tzu Ying receives a high serve. After hitting the shuttle, she does a chasse skip. In fact, she does it two shots in a row.

Mason likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are trying to cover too many options.

If you stand slightly further back to receive smash (perhaps about 2 feet), you will find that people will start to play fewer attacking clears and then you can concentrate better on receiving smashes and dropshots. This is something called controlling the space and making the opponent play shots that you want them to play.

Going forward is a bit harder with your feet initially side by side. Going forward quick from the standing start is something you need specifically train.

Mason likes this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thanks for the video !

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

:);):):):)
    Ok I like this, this is something that I should be able to work on and improve fairly quickly . Thank you

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to do a good amount of practice before some games last night. I also was able to do some drills. But during the games my feet felt heavy and I was a split second too slow which threw everything off.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Where's your drill practice?

This will show up more things