Stringing Top Down

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by shubantiksports, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MB-Racket

MB-Racket New Member

Sorry, but I can't agree with you on this point. A tennis racket has not a "fat top, skinny bottom". IMO you can compare the shape, or the stability of a tennis and a badminton racket. In fact, you can feel it on an unstrung tennis racket. The top is much more fragil/flexible than the throat. Anyway, pro stringers say that it's always better to do top-down, but tension under 25kg/55lb won't damage your frame if doing bottom-up.
    The reason why start at the top is the same as described here: reducing the stress at the top of the frame.

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Old topic but I've had a telling experience which ultimately convinced me bottom up is the way to go.

When I was stringing a victor lightfighter 7300 top down everything was going fine but over halfway on the crosses, the frame broke at the 8 o clock mark. Tried to troubleshoot the problem but didn't find anything wrong. And then it happened again, at the exact same moment, at the exact same place.

The next time I switched to bottom up and while it certainly pulled the frame a lot on the final crosses, it didn't break. I've strung that racket three times now bottom up without problem.

But yeah, it's a pain weaving the final crosses.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have also broke a racket stringing top down. the fatter bulge @ 4/8 o'clock accumulates a lot of stress as the strings get tensioned top down. thinner and unsupported rackets are very susceptible to breakage in that location. For that reason, and also a more "dead" feeling, top down is not recommended for badminton stringing.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not as pronounced as a badminton/squash racket, but the width difference is there.

though I do believe that it is not good to compare tennis/badminton. tennis racket has a much better dual support at the throat which badminton rackets do not.

5. MB-Racket

MB-Racket New Member

That's true....
    I don't want to break my customers rackets so I will continue stringing bottom-up.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

What do you think about stringing like this?

At the last mains he tensions the 2 last strings together to reduce the pressure on the racket. Is that the way you guys string too?

6. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Depending on the stringing pattern this can be useful. It's standard Yonex pattern.
    This makes it easier to clamp the last two strings.

Have a look at this thread.
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-pulling-correctly.175755/

7. MB-Racket

MB-Racket New Member

I have very thin clamps, so for me it doesn't matter. The Question is, if this method is better for the frame.

Thank you, I will have a look at the other threat.:)

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think the "yoke" is what makes the bottom of a tennis frame so strong, not the beam; it's two big chunks of carbon buttressing the throat.
    And we don't have those in badminton.

Any more.