Second hand racket is it worth it

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Mihail, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Mihail

Mihail New Member

Hello guys, I am kinda a new to the badminton racket world! I was training for about 3/4 months now with a racket that the training lessons are offering ! I wanted to get a new racket so I asked my coach which one should I go for.. He told me he was selling his wife's yonex voltric 80 e tune for not so much! He told me that is not that played with it and so on.... I fell in love with its appearance but then when I got back home I becam a little sceptical. I will upload some pictures to ask you guys should I buy it... It's currently in me until the next lessons which is in about 2 days.. Tell me if the missing paint chips are not a big deal or they are! Thank you so much in advance and excuse my English writing! (since badmintoncentral upload limit is 1mb I uploaded the images here:
    https://ibb.co/jVy7Dr8
    https://ibb.co/47zLBjx
    https://ibb.co/zbj6kj4

#1 Mihail, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Paint chips don't affect racquet playing characteristics at all. As long as second hand racquets don't have cracks they are perfectly fine to buy and play with. Just be aware of fakes especially for high end racquets.

3. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

I've done it many many times. I've bought more used rackets than brand new ones.

You just need to check for condition ie (paint, dents, cracks, etc), the racket being fake or not.

Make sure you get a lot of pictures from the seller, close up pictures.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

2nd hand rackets can definitely be bargains. :)
    And in this case you have the actual racket to inspect.
    And your coach is unlikely to risk his reputation by selling a fake.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

1st paint chip wont affect the racket characteristic... Well it does but by a very small mg, so unless you are a super sensitive person, i doubt you would feel the different. So basically it just for the look. If you ok with the look then it fine.

2nd condition of the racket. Beware for a cracked frame due to clash. Sometimes its hard to notice if there is a small crack on the frame. But well... At least the price is good for the risk & considering its your coach, so less likely your coach will sell you a broken racket as if it ever happen & broken right in front of the coach himself, he will feel bad for you. Better sell broken racket to some unknown that you will never see again right...

Lastly as racket choice is consider personal preference, i suggest you to try it for stroke & not just dry swing. You dont want to buy thing just for complement for your bag. If you like how it play, then go ahead pull the trigger.

6. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Well ur learning badminton, don’t bother about small paint chips. closely inspect the racket one more time for any cracks. If u cant find one then just do not worry voltric 80 etune is a great racket to play. Try bargain it for lower value. Remember paint chip happens because there has been a clash with the partners racket, so ideally the racket must have lost a small or very negligible characteristic of it. So use those to bargain. I would try getting the racket for 1/3 if it’s current market value or may be less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mihail

Mihail New Member

Thanks for the replays, I looked closely at the frame couldn't find any cracks.....I would still buy it cuz the price is really a bargain... And the racket is no fake.. I felt it and it feels like a expensive good racket!

#7 Mihail, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Cheung likes this.
  8. Bluezewoo

Bluezewoo New Member

Hey @Mihail, diving into the world of badminton rackets is exciting! Opting for a secondhand racket can be a savvy choice, especially if your coach is offering one. The Yonex Voltric 80 E Tune sounds promising, and if your coach assures its quality, it's worth considering. While minor paint chips might seem concerning, they often don't affect performance significantly. If you have doubts, take a closer look at the racket during your next lesson.