YONEX-SUNRISE HONG KONG Open 2019 : Qualification-FINAL (12-17 November)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Yoji, Nov 10, 2019.

1. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Logged on to post (usually I just browse). Having being born in HK (now living near San Francisco), I'm thrilled to see a local player make it to the finals, even more thrilled he did it after going through qualifying, and battling it out until the last point! It definitely would be a glimmer of shining light, given the current turmoil going on in HK. However, the video from the service/net camera CLEARLY shows Ginting contacted the shuttle on HIS side of the court. Why did he not challenge? It looked like he just accepted the decision in reluctance. I'm sure he's happy for Lee Cheuk Yiu but if it was me, I wouldn't want an asterisk listed next to one of my titles. Is the umpire's call the ultimate final call? Could Ginting have challenged and requested video confirmation/Hawkeye etc.? Was he out of challenges already (I only saw the highlights, not the full game 3). At worst, Ginting is proven he committed a fault and loses the point, at best, it's deuce again.

2. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Nope. Players can only challenge for in/out situation.

SpursIndonesia, visor and LenaicM like this.
  3. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

A quick question to the rules experts here: Let's say BWF implements a callenge system for these net calls. And now let's say the umpire calls a fault on a net kill, but the opponent still manages to retrieve the shuttle (the net kill). Then who would get the point if the challenge is successful? The way I see it it would be the person with the successful challenge, because as soon as the umpire calls a fault, the rally is over. However, that would of course be unfair to the opponent who managed to successfully retrieve the net kill. And I can't really think of a solution to that dilemma which makes me think that this might be the reason BWF hasn't implemented the hawk eye system for net situations.

samkool likes this.
  4. sunburner

sunburner New Member

You can just call a 'let' in that situation.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

HK is always the first city that I go when or before i visit China. The protests entering its 6th month now, but why did it continue? Had the women leader do anything? I thought she decided not to do anything and things will quiet down.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Yoji

This is a purely political question. As a matter of forum policy, we don't allow political posts because they can have a lot of emotion and quickly deteriorate. We do allow politics if it affects badminton. This is how my post was written.

Hope all forum members can understand that this policy means subsequent political posts will be deleted as off topic and the post by @Yoji will remain unanswered.

Posts that relate to how politics might affect badminton will be reviewed on an individual basis.

Thanks

mod

kwun, oldtaby, skhai91 and 6 others like this.
  7. viver

viver Regular Member

The shuttle crossed the net, as the image capture shows, contact with the shuttle was made on the player's side and the player did not touch the net. Unless there was a change in the rules, otherwise it was the umpire's mistake... and a very BIG mistake as it gave the championship to a player in detriment of another. A very good show of the sportsmanship from the Indonesian player, wish him much better luck in his future tournaments.
    Does BWF ranks/classifies the umpires? Will BWF appoint this umpire in future tournaments?

8. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

Seriously, does it even look like he accepted it initially?

Of course he accepted it in the end. What do you expect him to do? Punch the empire in the face?

9. ong huigen

That's the thing. He probably felt pressure that if he gave the wrong call against hk, he will be mobbed.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

A fairy tale story for hometown boy Lee Cheuk Yiu to present delighted moment for local fans amid uncertainty times due to political upheaval, Lee becomes second HKG MS player to nail gold medal after Ng Ka Long did it in 2016. A dramatic ending in this enthralling final match that colored by controversial call at really crucial situation when Anthony Ginting got faulted at net area, 21-20. As the Indonesian said post match interview that he's very disappointed, angry and feeling that umpire decision was unfair. But in the name of competition, he must accept the result whether win or lose. Ginting seized the momentum once again at third game, repeating his successful comeback against Chou TC and Christie previously but this time more high tense that only separated by thin line, just unlucky enough to earn top position. Must admit Lee capability to produce sterling feat along this tournament, a sensational aggressive player, hopefully this is just beginning instead of one-hit wonder.

Another surprising result also witnessing strong contenders Ahsan/Setiawan were stunned by Choi SG/Seo SJ, stamina problem for the veterans, they difficult to break Korean solid rock defense and counter attacking shots. Choi/Seo carry on Korea traditional men's doubles depth in the past, a maiden title in BWF top flight tournament.

Chen Yufei extends her winning record over Ratchanok Intanon, pocketing 6th individual title in 2019. The Thai practically lost control, exploiting her weakness to commit many cheap points in third game while Chen looks composed, raising her game and more confident to seal the match, the last Chinese WS won in HKG was Wang Yihan six years ago.

2017 World Champions Chen/Jia confirming their status as new world number one to curtail Japan supremacy in this category, thanks to their persistent performance lately including vanquish Korean hurdles in final, Chang YN/Kim HR in three games. Japan mixed doubles Watanabe/Higashino defending their title, succeeded to turn the tables after trailing behind most times in opening game, He/Du determination were pretty eroded in next game and predictable outcome at the end, 22-20 / 21-16.

Giga01, nilesh123, It'sMeMeMe and 2 others like this.
  11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

happy to see RI reach the final. i think she has the technical ability to beat the best, just need to work on her stamina.

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Maybe in the end, its the tournament that never needs to be held..

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think the umpire also wanted the match to end as quickly as possible. (maybe worried for his life) but whats the point if he gave the wrong decision?

I hope he apologise to Ginting after the match and admits his mistakes. really boring final yesterday with players being tired all over and 1 good Final is spoiled by this . Geez.

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

lol. u 2 (Yoji and huigen) should meet up over dinner ;).

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwf has the same evidence everyone else has already seen.
    Otherwise, this thing will continue and BWF won't take any action.[/QUOTE]no umpires in any sport are perfect. athletes live with it.

the umpire won't receive any negative remark on his evaluation sheet due to the split second nature of this type of judgement.

umpires are volunteers, so how much action do all of you upset fans think bwf will take?

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the referees do not sit court side which means they are never in a position to overturn a line or fault call on the court. it's not part of their job anyway. they can only replace an umpire, which they will never do.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes and yes.

this incident will change nothing.

18. ong huigen

Seriously dun think it's a stamina issue. Which part of the match suggested it's a stamina issue.

19. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i'm not referring to this particular match. thank you.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

MD rankings so tight from 7th - 13th. Who will get seeded next in Malaysia/INA masters.