Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

will we see china players posting pics of Zhang Jun eat BK burgers :rolleyes: ?

2. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Thoroughly enjoyed this type of game. I have say Japanese are one of the most innovative people. They have many interesting ideas in wrestling too in their NJPW, AJPW and others.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    random comment...

endo is soon to be 33. he's still competing at the highest level. the only other player from his generation is hendra setiawan (35), which is likely why he is overlooked and underrated.

trizzforce likes this.
  4. minions

minions Regular Member

No JPN players around in the final of French Open. A bad week for JPN team as a whole. JPN WD has lost its touch. At this point, only KM is super reliable.

5. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Any live steam of match between Asuka Takahashi vs Mizui Hirari at the finals in CAFFINO Indonesia International Challenge 2019 ?? I am quite impressed by Asuka Takahashi, Mizui, Oie, Naraoka, Watanabe. But I hope Japan Badminton association can help them and bring out the best in them.

#1545 Pcyl, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  6. Head Heavy

Head Heavy Regular Member

I don't think we should read too much into their French Open performance.
    After all, it's the second week of a long trip, and I suspect their whole schedule was put upside down
    due to the typhoon: they had to take another flight, and if it was not exactly the same time another day,
    it must have impacted their recovery and stamina, especially if there was rerouting involved.

But PJB has been saying for a while that WD is not in a good state.
    I'm curious to see if they'll be able to fix it by Tokyo 2020.

BeeKi and Pcyl like this.
  7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I have summarised Bird Japan's MS and WS participation in the remaining tournaments of the year. Please refer to the following table:

upload_2019-10-27_17-56-48.png
    Two comments:
    1. Naraoka, who had until this month been participating in tournaments on a self-financed basis, will henceforth be funded by the Japan Sports Council (JSC).
    2. The top half of National Team B (Watanabe, Igarashi, Kawakami, Mine) seem to be getting far too few opportunities to participate in international tournaments. This is a shame, particularly for Watanabe Koki, who this year alone has progressed enough to reach WR 38.

Pcyl likes this.
  8. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Asuka Takahashi bt Mizui Hirari just as i suspected. Wish I could find a replay on youtube just to see how far Asuka has progressed.

kurako likes this.
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Hmmm, Takahashi currently seems to be the strongest of the Takahashi-Mizui-Oie threesome. I was expecting Oie to progress a little further than was the case. ... Also Shimono.

Pcyl likes this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I have purchased my tickets for the semi-finals and finals of the All Japan Championships commencing at the end of next month. This is the domestic event that will determine National Teams A and B for 2020, no less!!

What changes are in store for us?

upload_2019-10-27_20-24-37.png

LenaicM, BeeKi and Pcyl like this.
  11. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    What is happening in JPN WDs! They have worlds top 3 pairs in WD but in last week Danish Open none of them reached the final and now in French Open none of them are in final again.

I watched only JPN pair that manged to reach the SF of French Open yesterday against a Korean pair who has beaten them for the first time in their past meetings. I noticed how determined and aggressive the Korean pair were against the Japanese, who were tame in comparison. in the next year's Olympics in Japan, can't see any of them winning unless they have a paradigm shift.

I feel the tide has turned now in WD where Japan had dominated in the past few years and now the Korean WD is fighting back and winning tournaments.

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    none of the japanese players have a go to offensive shot or overwhelming power. their defense and foot speed is great but it's not enough when you come across players with power and equal foot speed. wd in general is robotic but the koreans are starting to change it a little with power and shot making... advancing the game so to speak.

the weapon wd players lack is a fast inside-out cut drop (sung ji-hyun, wang yihan, zhang ning) and a fast cross court slice drop (carolina marin) from the baseline. right now the defensive stance can stay deep for a smash or clear. when a player tries to deceive w/ a drop from the baseline it's so slow that is never scores a point. it gives plenty of time for the defense to come in and reach it. basically its used to initiate a position change for the offense. fast cut/slice shots will force the defense to stand closer, thereby opening up the court.

i'm surprised this has never become a thing in wd.

Pcyl likes this.
  13. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

True, not just for the singles players. Why the young wd doubles sit at home during Macau Open when their seniors are getting beat left, right and center by the Koreans and Chen/Jia at every major tournaments, is beyond me. I guess this is all due to the tournaments being planned one year ahead.
    Watanabe and Naraoka need to be pushed hard, but it's not happening at all.

And while the youngsters in ws, wd and ms are being neglected in favour of the seniors, the top wd pairs seem less and less likely to be in the drivers seat for Tokyo. Lose-lose situation.

Michael V and kurako like this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Last year National Team B participated in the Macau Open; this year, however, the timing of the Korean Masters has enabled the NBA to consider the latter as an alternative venue. To the detriment of junior players though, the emphasis has shifted to one of giving Team A a last minute opportunity to grab some points. As a result, Team B will be left vying for scraps in an excessively competitive field, and they have very little chance of advancing point-wise, ... And, to top it all, this comes after many will have suffered a drop in the rankings for not being able to maintain their Macau points from last year.

Absolutely great scenario! :confused:

#1554 kurako, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Pcyl and Cunning Linguist like this.
  15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The S/J League season commences this weekend (website: https://www.sj-league.jp/ <Japanese>), with the top ten corporate teams (both male and female) featuring in Sapporo.

Some of the teams will be fielding 内定選手 (i.e., new players, usually promising HS or university graduates, due to be formally employed from April 2020), although I can't spot Naraoka's name anywhere.

@Cunning Linguist, it seems as though Saishunkan has picked up a new WD player → https://www.sj-league.jp/assets/pdf/2019/037_badmintonS-JleaguePG_HSK_F1.pdf.

Pcyl and Cunning Linguist like this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Meanwhile, at the Macau Open, Naraoka Kodai has advanced to R2. He won today's match against Suppanyu Avihingsanon in straight games! :)

Post-script: Naraoka's opponent tomorrow is Brice Leverdez, who could prove a little trickier.

#1556 kurako, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Pcyl and Gacon1234star like this.
  17. Gacon1234star

Gacon1234star Regular Member

Hope that finally i can see him plays on bwf channel on youtube

18. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Thanks, I didn't know it was already starting. Did you see the changes to Tricky Panders? No pandas anymore, the team is called American Vape now, the new logo is an owl, and Kim Ha Na is listed as one of the players.

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, ... I also noted that there are three transferees to the team, the most notable being Suzuki Haruko, and that Fukushima is captain.

Incidentally, Uchiyama Chihiro, the new addition to Saishunkan, doesn't look too bad. She came second in this year's Inter-High, both in singles and doubles, and was on the National Junior Team at the World Junior Championships (Singles: R16, Doubles: QF).

20. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I remember Beiwen Zhang is also a member of American Vape but didn't see her in the player registration list. Did she leave the team?