Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why? Isn't it obvious that he is going to face Momota in R2 if he made it through R1.

2. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Yes. “IF”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

U huh, I am fully aware of it :rolleyes:. I was only saying how close LD had been to Momota lately in draws.

mohans likes this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

He should just concentrate on going all out and still losing in straight games but in a bit respectful manner. It sucks saving energy and still losing in two.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

LD is a bit away from Momota in French Open but guess who is his opponent in R1?
    Easy.. the same one with his R1 opponent in Denmark Open.:cool:

6. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Sometimes you can't help wondering, all these up and coming players have probably watched and studied hundreds of hours of LD match videos... and nowadays it is unlikely that LD will have the time to adjust his 'playing style'.

It is sad when a match progresses and it becomes apparent that he is not the better player physically. He can't move as fast, smash as powerful. It all comes down to his deceptions and anticipation. And if it doesn't work all the time, in comes the unforced errors.

Tokyo 2020? Never say never. A lot can happen in 10 months or so. We might be in for a surprise or two here and there. It the moments before the Malaysian Open this year I never expected him to beat SYQ, CTC and CL on the way to the title, but he did. So I guess we'll see! ;)

buibui2, Neel Dhebar and Baddie lover like this.
  8. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Every loss of his makes me wonder how he will ever manage to make it to Tokyo, let alone win. Yet his flashes of brilliance give hope and I feel that he can inspire many with his determination.

I think that if he were to become Olympic Champion next year, it would be one of the greatest and most brilliant things to happen in the history of sport and if anyone can do it, it's Super Dan.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm sorry have you watched him play in the past year? How would he even make it to Tokyo?

buibui2, robfitsy and samkool like this.
  10. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Exactly why I said that I wonder how he will ever make it.

He is still no.2 from China in the race and if he starts to do well now, why not?

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Which is why I asked you if you had seen him play in the past year. There was nothing that suggested he could maintain a ranking of 16 or better. Also, he will be overtaken by SYQ as soon as the latter gets back to 100% from him injury, and CL, while unspectacular and without real medal prospects imop, has maintained a pretty stable ranking and is unlikely to drop behind.
    While I have learned that LD may still surprise us once in a blue moon by somehow managing to win a single tournament, over any lengthier stretch of time he will stay true to his actual level, which isn't very high these days. He's basically a reverse Momota, who has a very steady high performance level and one in a while loses early and unexpectedly, creating a negative outlier, whereas LD has basically reached a point where he can't really have negative outliers anymore because you can lose earlier than in the first round. In a way, what I was originally apprehensive of happened and he turned into Taufik 2.0, dining out on reputation and past achievements. At least he still won that MO title.

buibui2 likes this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You may say whatever about LD but I disagree to compare LD to Taufik no matter how bad the former has been doing in the past two years. LD had done everything he could to get the most out of his time, now that he had lost most of his physical strength he is still doing something in his own term and I can accept that.

TH is married to (someone with) money while LD has to make a living somewhere. TH didn't do his best getting the most out of his talent when he still had the chance either. Even the achievements LD has are quite different from TH.

buibui2 likes this.
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You act as if LD hadn't made millions before his ludicrously long Yonex deal :D
    Its not like he's doing this to skate by. He has a villa and multiple unnecessary cars - hes not struggling to make ends meet.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah how do you think he made the money? It came on its own to him?
    He'd spent and committed more than half of his life to badminton, think he has earned his swollen savings.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah, glad he continued to play. I wouldn't want to miss on that version of Lin Dan - Malaysia Open Lin Dan was super attacking.

buibui2 likes this.
  16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I won't write too much on it. But I predicted a lot of wild stuff in 2017/18 when talking to @Nine Tailed Fox when everyone had lost all hopes in him and it's all unfolding perfectly. CL should be able to medal at 2020. We won't have a peak year run from him, however. Merely rounds or one tournament where he tests things out beforehand to just be sure.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well that's a very unlikely prediction, would be a rare combination of hunches/insight and luck if that came true. I doubt it, though, CL hasn't shown tournament-winning form since the 2016 games. I don't think he can top his record for OG gold medalist with the least successful Olympic year with becoming the OG medalist with the least successful Olympic cycle :D
    If he still had what it takes to win on the biggest stages, why hasn't he shown that in over 3 years?

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I have high hopes my predictions will come through haha. The physicality is coming along well and nicely so far as well. He's not ready yet physically but he will be.

The only thing to me he should and would care about is the olympics. I expected August to be the start of him testing things out which I was off by a few months. He will continue to play in a very blasé manner against almost all the players who aren't the absolute top contenders for the medals. He'll only test himself a little bit here and there even against players who do have a chance. I'd be surprised if he wins a tournament very soon since it should be against the strategy.

buibui2 likes this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Personally I think that's giving way too much credit to both CL and the coaching staff and too much importance to the OG....yeah,in the months leading up to them they might try to mask certain aspects of his game etc, but not 2-3 years prior. I think he's past his prime physically and hasn't found a way to adjust his game accordingly (yet), and while I do think he'll be in the best shape of the year for the OG, I have serious doubts about his ability to medal. The Danes are looking good, Momota is the clear #1, and the Indonesians have 2 contenders as well. All in all I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to beat one of the nervous and inconsistent Indonesians but I don't think he'll manage enough upset wins to medal.

swsh and rhoder like this.
  20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I really look forward to seeing it unfold actually and see how things play out should they play out as I’m seeing them.

I think almost everyone has doubts on him and his ability to perform well enough to medal. Makes it all the more fun to analyse it all.