Best racket + string combo for 'rackets with holding feel'

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Rackets like Arc10, arc11, astrox 88s are known to hold the shuttle upon impact, and I was wondering whether a hard string like bg 80 at high tension is required to get the best out of these types of rackets

I remember playing with a friend's Arc10 which was strung at 23lbs with bg 65, and remember hating how much hold it had compared to my HX900 which was strung at the same string and tension. Does anyone else have anything to share based on their own experiences?

2. Kyoshinster

Kyoshinster New Member

I think it’s really a personal combination you have to find
    I remember LYD talking about his preference to the rackets that have the “holding” feeling, where it is also noticeable when serving - repulsive/bouncy VS more of ‘sending off’ feel
    For me, BS12 at BG80 27-29 lbs, 88d 3U at 29 lb. I have been using Nanospeed 9900 for a while but its extreme stiffness I don’t quite get that ‘hold’ feel
    Personally, I think its combination of your swing/strength, racket weight and distribution and strings - aka. way too many variables to give you a static answer

LenaicM and Cheung like this.
  3. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Actually, i dont quite understand the holding feel thingy. Does it mean the ability to drag the shuttle a little as opposed to hitting?

4. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

yeah, some frames tend have a moment of holding similar to when your body kind of holds itself in a deformed trampoline, before it shoots you upward. I was suspecting these frames does well with hard strings on high tension, like a bg80 at high 20's, but was wondering how they would do with softer strings or just low tension stringbeds in general, because wouldn't that make the impact TOO soft?

5. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I use my 88s and JS12 both with BG80@26lbs.

I've used them with all different strings. Other than 66UMX(which broke way too frequently) and LiNing No1(almost impossible to get where I live) I found BG80 to be the best.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    NBG99 is for me the best in terms of "holding" ability. What I perceive as holding is the perceived increased dwelling time of the shuttle on the string bed, it seems to stay on the string bed for a fraction of a second longer than other strings without feeling soft, which gives you a better feel and control. I used to use NBG99 exclusively and this is the main reason why I used to use it. It's a great string for doubles imo.