some pictures....

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by speCulatius, Jan 22, 2018.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

... from the second German league. Unfortunately, the hall was very very dark, so I had to go above my cameras limits. There's some more on the album (should be linked via pictures). What do you think?

If someone can tell me how to delete an image from an album, please tell me (one is there twice).

phihag, kwun, Daniel™ and 2 others like this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Given the bad lighting these are really good pics, thumbs up! I think ISO3200 is still borderline acceaptable on a D7000.

Which lens did you use?

speCulatius likes this.
  3. speCulatius

Sigma 50-150/2,8; pretty good at 2,8 already; still quite compact (the version without optical stabilizer); not produced anymore, I think

ISO3200 on a D7000 is acceptable to view on a (FullHD) sceen or for prints around 10cm*15cm, but not much more. I was surprised to have that little light in a hall used for first and second Bundesliga.

#3 speCulatius, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good shots!

High standard of play. I have to go iso 4000 in a local sportshall in HK. Lighting is usually the last thing to be considered for a match.

speCulatius likes this.
  5. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Stabilisation is generally not used for action photography. The rule of thumb is exposure time faster than 1/focal length. So for example, for a focal length of 150mm, it is not recommended to use stabilisation if the exposure time is set at 1/150 second or faster. For fast action shots, often times the stabilisation can cause some motion blur instead. :(

visor, speCulatius and Cheung like this.
  6. speCulatius

Thanks to all of you.

For FX cameras, this still is not too bad, for a DX camera something like 1/(1,5*focal length) is better, considering the resolution of modern cameras, 1/(2*focal length) might not even be safe (looking at single pixels). Actually, I just looked at the D850 (FX) and with more than 40 million pixels, even for FX cameras the rule of thumb should be adjusted....

For badminton, the exposure time cannot be short enough enough if you want to freeze the action, so this rule of thumb will not be the limiting factor and thus stabilisation is not needed. I just mentioned it, because the newer version of that lens does have it, but it also grew to the size of a 70-200/2.8 which doesn't make sense to me. ;)

@Cheung
    ISO 3200 or 4000 is not that big of a difference, maybe I should have done that, too. I was surprised by the bad lightning since it was a match in the second German league and the first league matches of the same club are played there, too. Even some halls I play in are brighter than this one.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The effect of stabilisation, especially for action shots, is highly overrated. All you need is light, light and then some more light. I've inheritated a 20+ years old Nikon 80-200/2.8 (without stabilitsaion of course) which produces sensational pictures on my D610 (FX). If only the autofocus wasn't soooo slooooow and is wasn't sooo heavy.... :confused:

I feel like good badminton pictures need to have a maximum possible freezing effect to really come to life. I figured that you have to get the exposure down to less than 1/500 or even 1/800. Good thing with the FX is that you can go up to ISO 6400 and still get acceptable noise. An example:

DX, F5, 1/160s, ISO 1600:
    DSC_5429-001.JPG
    Quite some motion blur, especially in the leg. It just doesn't have that "FREEZE!" feeling to it.

FX, F2.8, 1/800s, ISO 6400:
    SM6_3204.JPG
    ...now that's better!

#7 s_mair, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    speCulatius likes this.
  8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Love the photos, and also all the others in the album!

I'm quite ashamed though that I didn't correct the display colors on the TVs until afterwards. That awful pink? It's really red (a little bit brighter than the jerseys), with the TV trying to make it seem "more natural".

9. speCulatius

Of course you like photos of yourself. Who wants to play 'where is @phihag'?

Just say that you wanted the color to match Kate's shoes.

phihag likes this.
  10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Is that Kate Foo Kune? Is she basing in Germany during competition period?

speCulatius likes this.
  11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

It is! She's playing for TSV Trittau 2 in the 2. Bundesliga Nord (2nd strongest division) in Germany. She has an impressive 11:0 record in singles so far. TSV Trittau 1 fields Indonesian-born Priskila Siahaya.

stanleyfm and speCulatius like this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are some nice shots in the album. you have a knack for good timing, capturing some unique action.

the camera setting is ok. technical side of setting the ISO and shutter speed is the easy part of badminton photography. the hard part is seeing and anticipation of good moments.

also i suggest do some generous cropping of the shots if deemed necessary. if the surrounding of the player action isn't contributing to the composition and context of the photo, crop it out. otherwise it will only serve as distraction.

speCulatius likes this.
  13. Munigrinn

Munigrinn New Member

art
    Good pictures!

speCulatius likes this.
  14. Munigrinn

Munigrinn New Member

art
    Love the photos!:)

15. speCulatius

Thank you! If you like these pictures, have a look what @s_mair did at the world championship. Much more impressive.

16. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Very nice. Helpful Youtuber and photographer? You're a double threat!

speCulatius and phihag like this.
  17. speCulatius

I hope being a threat is positive. ;)