2005 WC Day 5 (Friday)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by hcyong, Aug 19, 2005.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

My predictions :
    MS
    Lin Dan bt Lee Hyun Il
    Peter Gade bt Chen Hong
    Lee Chong Wei bt Bao Chunlai -- match of the round
    Taufit Hidayat bt Kenneth Jonassen

WS
    Zhang Ning bt Kaori Mori
    Pi Hongyan bt Xu Huaiwen -- match of the round...both former Chinese players now playing in their adopted countries
    Wang Chen bt Cheng Shao-Chieh -- would love to see the young junior world champion Cheng Shao Chieh going through to the semifinal, to confirm her status as an upcoming WS player (she's only 19 this year)
    Xie Xingfang bt Tracey Hallam

MD
    Gunawan/Back bt Eriksen/Lundgaard bt Gunawan/Bach - I am predicting an upset here....
    Luluk/Alven bt Jung/Lee -- the young Koreans can sneak a surprise unless Luluk/Alven is playing their best badminton
    Flandi/Eng Hian bt Chan/Koo
    Candra/Sigit bt Paaske/Rasmussen -- match of the round...a repeat of WC 2003 final. Candra/Sigit in top form, whereas Paaske/Rasmussen still has yet to win any title this year

WD (SEMI)
    Yang/Zhang bt Lee/Lee -- match of the round....Lee/Lee have beaten Yang/Zhang, but they are pretty unstable
    Gao/Huang bt Zhang/Zhang

XD
    Lee/Lee bt Shirley/Runesten
    Chen/Zhao bt Xie/Zhang
    Widianto/Natsir bt Bergstrom/Persson
    Zhang/Gao bt Sudket/Saralee -- match of the round...I hope the Thai pair can win

2. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

any 1 know what time is the play off of Quater MS

I am from Malaysia. What time is our local time the match will play off. As, RTM1 (Malaysia) is showing live at 3am Sat morning. U have LCW play off time?? I m really his Fans.....

3. genjyo

genjyo Regular Member

Chong Wei Lee
    - Chunlai Bao
    14:40 MS Crt 1

so it will show on 4:40 in malaysia

4. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

i think it shd be 5:40...

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Lin Dan has been struggling against "worse" players so far. It is time to stop fooling around now, or he might well get toppled by LHI.

I agree about Gade beating Chen Hong. Gade certainly looks on form, and with a 6-1 head-to-head it is clear that he knows how to handle Chen.

Although his opposition so far hasn't been the best, Kenneth looks strong, and doesn't seem to be bothered at all by his injury. Taufik is perhaps the more likely winner, but this match has the potential of becoming a nail-biter... I am nominating this one for "the match of the round"!

Gunawan/Bach vs Eriksen/Lundgaard... I am going to stick my neck out and say that I think the Danes need to under-perform badly to lose this. They're going to target Howard and try to break him, if they succeed this could be over quickly. If not, it might take a little longer... :p Tony is a blessed player but he can't win this alone.

I think Flandi/Eng will beat Chan/Koo.

Candra/Sigit vs JR/Lars... whew, tough call! I'll go with JR/Lars again, just based on what JR has said: "we are HOT" -- it is the first time for years that I hear him openly say that they are playing their best badminton... and if they do, Candra/Sigit are in for another defeat. :D

Exciting it will be! There are a bunch of potentially classic matches in this round! :eek: :D

6. genjyo

genjyo Regular Member

oh, yes, sorry i made a mistake:eek:
    it will show on 5:40

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'm going to go for Tony and Howard to win their match. They have home crowd support!

8. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Could somebody watching it live on TV do a commentary or at least keep us updated on the scores? Like last year during the Olympics, that was great.

Thanks

9. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

yes, we cannot depend on live score on web page. It is not reliable.

10. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    It will be sweet if Howard and Tony won. I'm predicting an upset here like many of you because of the draft which makes the match unpredictable, the home-crowd support which can be nerve-racking, and that TOny is just so good lol.

11. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

will try to do that if i cd keep my eyes opened :D gonna post screen captures too if possible...

12. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Today Super Dan Is Going To Lose.

13. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Anyone knows the men's singles timings in singapore time?

14. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

home crowd support alone may not be enough to upset the top seed. hopefully they have practiced/played long enough in the notorious hall hence more familiar and have better control on the draft problem.. yup, i wd love to see a big win for tony...

btw, any problem of connecting to the livescore webbie?? hv bn trying since an hour ago bt thr was no connection :mad:

15. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

Me too no connection...

16. sweetluv

sweetluv Regular Member

plenty of good picss:)

17. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

agreed, not saying LD can't win this match but it looks like it's a dangerous one !!

agreed, I am in favore of Gade here.

also agreed

18. The Commentator

The Commentator Regular Member

Ok here's what I have got to say at this moment....

So far there has been no upset in all the MS matches and so I believe there will be no exception tomorrow.

1) LD vs LHI
    Winner - You guess it. :D
    Chances - 65 : 35

2) PG vs CH
    Winner - I would either put my money on PG or keep them in my wallet :D
    Chances - 60 : 40

3) LCW vs BCL
    Winner - LCW. Why? Psycology! On the records, BCL lost all the 4 matches to LCW and that will haunt him whenever he faces LCW. On the other hand, LCW should know how to beat BCL again by now. The only fear I have for LCW is that so far in this tourney, he has yet to face a real challenger of his level.
    Chances - 60 : 40

4) TH vs KJ
    Winner - I have a feeling that TH is more determined than KJ to win this tourney but KJ is not going to make it any easy for TH.
    Chances - 55 : 45

Summary - Wind factor will definitely affect the game but it affects all players and no player can capitalise on this because none of them were trained to play under this condition. (Perhaps with the exception of TG & HB which was why they beaten the M'sian pair?). All no more warm-up matches for the MS. Tomorrow will be the real test for all MS players.

19. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    hey i cant even get on the website... it says 'operation timed out when trying to excess www.tournamentsoftware.com..' So you guys better do some good updating...;)
    I say lin dan's chances of advancing are 4-6/10 by how he played yesterday, if he was up to his normal self I'd rank his chances at 8-9/10.
    Peter Gade has an almost straight record against Chen, 6-1. And By what I've seen so far, Peter Gade is in a better position than Chen Hong, who have stretched it to 3rounds twice already. Im saying Peter 7-8/10.
    LCW has the best scores in MS so far and normally has beaten BCL, so i think LCW will take its 7-9/10
    Taufik had a relatively poor performance yesterday, we had some suspesions of him actually losing. Kenneth has beens trong through this tournament, barely breaking a sweat.
    By what happened yesterday, Taufik's chances are very low, I'd say Ken, 5-7/10. But Taufik at his best will beat Ken 7-8/10.
    Kenneth also is the msot 'muscular' out of the 8 remainders, he, In my opinion has the biggest chance of winning to far.

20. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    good ideal ms semifinal :

LD vs LCW : it will become be lindan's sweet revenge, 55:45

Taufik Vs Gede : it will become the best full thriller game , tight game 3 sets, 50:50