Head Heavy racquet for an intermediate player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Anant, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Anant

Anant New Member

Hi All,

I'm new here to the Forums and have searched and read a lot of older thread. But none applied directly to me.
    I'm an intermediate player who plays mainly doubles with a Voltric 7 neo. I've tried a few even balanced racquets that my friends use but the head heavy racquet seems to be the most suited for me. Since I started playing regularly, I've only used the Voltric series (A VT 5 previously and the VT 7 neo currently).

I'm looking for another racquet - as a backup for my VT7 and also to try out a different racquet to explore if a different racquet suits me better. I've identified the following options but I'm uncertain yet. They are all mostly Yonex racquets as I was able to get more information as well as they are easier to acquire where I live (India). I'm primarily looking for a medium flex to a stiff shaft, that is head-heavy racquet with good manouevarability:

Yonex Astrox 69
    Yonex Astrox 68D
    Yonex Astrox 7
    LiNing 3d Calibar 009C (not to be confused with the 900C)

While I'd love the AX88D or similar, I cannot afford those prices. I'm not particular about the brand but prefer something that is also decently long-lasting.

2. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

LiNing 3D calibar 009c will not suit u for sure. Its just very basic racket and u can never feel the head heavy at all no matter how hard u swing and try..(that is what I observed when I played with my friends racket)

You didn’t mention the weight of the racket that you are looking. rackets are subjective cos if you have gone through the forum u would have noticed people using 3u head heavy for doubles. For example I use n9ii for doubles which is a 3u raw weight and adding strings and grip it goes more than 92 grams.

Astrox are good choice if u are coming from voltric series you never fail with astrox 7 or 77 but try some dry swing of the below lining LiNing and then decide. All the below are 85+ grams and all are head heavy

Turbocharging 20
    Turbocharging 50
    Aeronaut 4000c

The reason I ask u to try lining is I was a hardcore voltric person for the past 8 years (voltric 5,7,8) before I tried lining. Now I don’t have any yonex and I moved myself out of voltric..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anant likes this.
  3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Voltric 10dg is explosive.

4. Anant

Anant New Member

Thank you. I'm comfortable with 3U racquets. I usually don't use an overgrip to ensure the balance is not disturbed and the weight also remains reasonably low.

One of the stores near by did reccomend the Turbocharging 50 but I've not be able to find any details about the racquet. I'll give them a try at the store to see how they feel.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is appreciated

5. Anant

Anant New Member

Can you elaborate on this?

6. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

You cant find any big details in any of the lining rackets.. Its just one time u need to know so check internet for the details. Lining method and strategy is simple, there always a lining racket for any kind of player. Check internet and get ur racket name go to store or online and order.. not every time u need specs in racket shaft..

https://shopbadmintononline.com/badminton-racket-turbocharging-50-p-2081.html

Check the above link, if ur from India those rackets are available in amazon check there as well.

If you can spend a little more go for turbocharging 70. U will never repent for the purchase (new name for N7ii)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anant likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not sure if 68D & 69 is any different as both material & paper spec is kinda the same. But as far as i know both come in 4U, while you used to like 3U. But maybe your feel still accept it in trade of faster manouver.

For 3DC 009C, its quite friendly racket & good racket for the price but the paint quality is very very bad. My friend brand new, 3 days playing & the frame paint chip on everywhere like Ironman armor after being hit by Thanos. Really... My old Lining MP UC5000 still in a better condition than my friend 3DC 009C.

Maybe you can look for
    Lining 3DC 200/300
    Victor TK770HT
    Or stick with Yonex VT7DG/10DG

Anant likes this.
  8. Anant

Anant New Member

Thank you. Yes I'm from India. I checked on Amazon and a couple of other sites. Though price is one factor, I wanted to read real world reviews of the racquets as well. For example, I was almost set on purchasing the Astrox 69 but the badminton store near my place said that lots of folks have reported issues with the AX69 and so he does not recommend it. This gave me a pause for the AX69! :(

9. Anant

Anant New Member

4U should be fine as well. My earlier racquet was 4U. I'll checkout the Victor racquets as well

10. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    VT 10 DG is a low end zf2, all specs are same, it's in 3u, beefy, compact head, head heavy and packs a plenty of power. It's a hammer for those who can't afford a zf2 and have plans to stretch their rackets to the limit.
    I would say, 10dg is the only racket one should buy if they are looking at HH racket without deep pockets.

11. thedarkstone

thedarkstone New Member

Astrox 9 might be your cup of tea.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

12. Anant

Anant New Member

Thank you all for the suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the Astrox 69 and like it so far. I'd not say it is the only reason but I think my game is a little better compared to my VT7neo

13. Vignesh Kaushal

Vignesh Kaushal New Member

Imre
    Hi. I recently got a Astrox 68D and it’s worth your money. I am an intermediate player and my game is very good now. I get explosive smashes like never before. And it’s cheaper compared to 88d. I feel it lacks in the drops. That improves with practice. I suggest you to buy astrox 68d. Thank me later

14. Schopenhauer

Schopenhauer Regular Member

Thats the reason cuz i bought the Voltric 10 DG its a merciless hammer.