TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (24-25 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

I couldn't. Also, I said I didn't buy it that all BWF events should be slow venues. But the shuttles are apparently the same in those events.
    And, as you indicate, going back in time at looking at results may not be fair for such an analysis, since the scores don't show all the other external factors.

But there is a tendency. And knowing the nature of a venue while watching the match, you can also see it. Even on the TV.

2. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't agree with you entirely regarding Steen. Imo, he does have his favourite list of players but to say he doesn't give insight about their weakness is not true. I have noticed him numerous times talking about how to play against the likes of Minions and TTY whom I think are few of his favorites.

He is a good commentator and does give very good insights even though I feel sometimes he is partial to his favourites.

Play hard. Train harder.

KB@TB Em, nilesh123, Airos and 3 others like this.
  3. Matthew Evan

Matthew Evan Regular Member

I found something interesting about cristie.during the last weeks he nurturing some niggle injury on his left ankle.could it be the factor that he is not be able to show his truly potential?i see ginting too wearing heavy bandage for his left knee.i'

4. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I do think court conditions matter. But I also believe Sindhu is versatile enough.

So what do you think will be the conditions in Tokyo?

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

BTW, I have always liked the calm analysis of the Danish commentators.
    Especially Morten. But Steen is good too.
    By comparison I have felt that the British commentators are a bit too anxious.

CIA-99 likes this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you have a point, but let's not forget the state of pvs's game back then. marin, and all of ws for that matter, has never faced this pvs of today.

can peak marin handle the new peak pvs? i don't know. all i do know is i have never seen marin have to deal w/ it.

on top of the 'basics' a professional player has each player needs their own edge:

marin wins w/ speed.
    tty wins w/ unsurpassed racket skills.
    ratchanok wins w/ racket skills.
    okuhara and yamaguchi win w/ retrieving.
    chen yufei wins when her shot making is dialed in.
    pvs has superior attacking strength.

your edge has to take away your opponents edge. if anyone could do that all the time they'd be undefeated.

PoLLuX, nilesh123, badmuse and 4 others like this.
  7. Hassefar60

Yes yes, now you are just trying to dismantle the worst of my two examples. Maybe it was a bad example, I don't know. But you said you had others yourself as well, some from other nations.

The important thing was the problem.

8. Hassefar60

That is what makes WS so exciting these days !! :)

Anks likes this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    exactly. you never hear people talk about hall speed when it comes to zheng siwei/huang yaqiong...:D:D:D:D:D

Airos and Justin L like this.
  10. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Wow what an incredible run by kento momota. Anyone know what happened in the singles final? Was antonsen injured? Unfortunately I can't view the videos at work

11. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    She did took the shuttle very early and I have to agree with you on the sideways jump, she did that very effectively and was in balance all the time. But more importantly I think it was her will and determination which got her through that tricky match against TTY. And once she overcame her she knew she can't let this opportunity go by and she didn't flinched in the semis and the final at all. I was very impressed by her shot quality against Nozomi, it's not that the Japanese played a bad match, PVS was just too good that day in my opinion.

badmuse, Airos and Anks like this.
  12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    25th August 2019 PVS already won the crown of Badminton the Moment she walked on the court.I never saw her walkin with such confidence...I Knew She was there to show the world what the Class of an ELITE player is.

She didn't Just Wanna Win She wanted to make sure she creates History not only for her country but for the badminton generations so much so that great dane legend Two times Former WC Silver Medalist MF and GC my two favourite Commentators were showering praises for her determination and spirit with love and a bit of Surprise how She DESTROYED her opponent within 36-37 Minutes.

Being taunted For EVER and EVER...As she mentioned in the interview to the BWF "I wanted to Answer those who questioned me with my Racket" and Thats how you Smash the mouths who ever talk low of you.

She is now a part of the ELITE group of players who are * WORLD CHAMPIONS *

I cant wait for the day to see All my Favs as World champs three already are

PVS,Li/Liu now waiting for SYQ and FUKURota the future legends.

#1112 Anks, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  13. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Was wondering who did the Oponent Demolition Fastest in WC Final...so looked up at BWF WC Website to check exactly how many minutes it took the MS,XD,WS World Champ to demolish their opponents and Would you guys believe it .!!

PVS Sindhu'd Okuhara in 37 Minutes
    KM Momota'd Antonsen in 38 Minutes
    ZSW/HYQ did the Job in 35 Minutes

Im sure this is also the First in the History of Badminton both MS,WS and XD Champs finished their finals with such a decisive Short period.

https://bwfworldchampionships.bwfba...total-bwf-world-championships-2019/2019-08-25

Aaah...So badly I wish SYQ was here....Oh dear..I hope he gets back to his 100% soon again.

#1113 Anks, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Baddyforall likes this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

SYQ was probably going to get demolished too like he did last year. So he was lucky to escape the same humiliation, but at least it wouldn't have been in front of his home crowd.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, I do believe there are different conditions between halls.

If you play in England over the year, you will find the shuttle flies differently between summer and winter. So much so, you need to change shuttle speed.

If I travel from a tropical country to a different latitude country,it's different. I went from Hong Kong to California and the shuttle flies differently. Yup. It could be a different shuttle but I play with different brands anyway in the same environment and I don't think it is just a shuttle issue.

There is one particular hall in HK I have difficulty with because my shuttles tend to go out.

The China players may not mention it because they have camps in different parts of the country to cope with the issue. They are based in Beijing but have training in other parts of the country like Chengdu or Hainan. Why? I can't believe that it's just for spicy food and beaches. :D

PoLLuX, stanleyfm, skhai91 and 5 others like this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Shuttle conditions even seem to change in the same halls during the same tournament.

In one of his post-match interviews at the Basel WC, Momota mentioned that the shuttle had picked up speed and that he needed to adjust his lobs accordingly.

Airos and fnd80 like this.
  17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Two Best Friends Two World Champions [​IMG]

Just look at their Historic Record both of them are the Finest on planet earth with Record in their own styles.

CM 3 WC Gold 1 OG Gold
    PVS 2 WC Bronze 2 WC Silver 1 WC Gold. 1 OG Silver

It will take a LONG Time for another another Carolina Marin and Pusarla Venkata Sindhu to make history like they did
    [​IMG]

I have never seen WS players with such on and off court presnce as these two..Carol never Congratulated Any other WS player on their Victory but she had to Put it all over her Social media Including her Instagram status and Twitter for it was her best Friend who finally Was the Gold.

Last year she was in Guangzhou when Her friend won the WTF tittle she was in touch with her all the way and told her She was with her and gave her all the support she needed and guess what Her best Buddy Won the tittle.

Never has the Badminton World seen such a close betwen Two Nemesis being also two Best Friends in WS.

What a beautiful story of Woman WORLD CHAMPIONS

I Formally Announce Carol (as PVS Calls her) the great Marin the joint Fav of mine along with PVS.

[​IMG]

love you Queens !!

Airos likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It was also mentioned by Gillian Clark in her commentary. She speculated the greater number of people in the audience raised the ambient temperature affecting shuttle speed.

kurako likes this.
  19. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Shindu won because she is the best in Basel. Minion lost because they were not good enough. It's simple.
    Slow and fast hall, I believe has affected the speed of the shuttle. And it has been part of factors to apply a specific strategy, from coaches point of few, at least in Indonesia

Other than slow/fast hall, the Indonesian also classified shuttle into "fast shuttle" and "heavy shuttle" to describe the natural speed of shuttle.
    It has been well known, that most Indonesian shuttlers have better results in fast hall (especially a windy ones) and "fast shuttle". Even in national training center, the coaches try to use a "heavier"/slower shuttle so they can practice with it and work on it. I took it as weakness of Indonesian badminton, and the shutlers themself have no problem talking about this, even in the media. Especially because Tokyo hall is a slow hall, it is one of the reason the we call Reony Mainaky to coach the Women Single because she has the experience in Japan, working in a slower hall, and very physically strong athletes. So far, I am satisfied enough to see how Gregoria and Fitriani played in Basel.

20. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Because they are one level above the rest of the their competitors. They are just too good.