TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : R/64 - Quarterfinal (19-23 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    My prediction for the MD Semis:

1. Ashan/Setiawan vs Choi/Seo
    2. Hoki/Kobayashi vs Li/Liu

I would back one of my favourite pairs Ashan/Set to win the gold again.

Play hard. Train harder.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

My prediction is

1. Ahsan/Hendra vs FajarRian
    2. Kamura/Sonoda vs Liu/Zhang

KamuraSonoda too smart to be ended by HokiKoba again while LiuZ vs LiLiu i feel is 45:55 battles. In this kind of match, it depends on how much LiuZhang wanted it.

3. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Good morning my Bros and sisters...so Woke up to see SN giving a very hard fight to Danish MB to three sets

Saina Nehwal is jst on another level..Her Career wins is probably the highest in whole WS department 433 Wins :eek: Does any WS player has that ? I think TTY can reach 400+ even SN's fellow Starlets of 2012 OG Medalists are below her in This department.

Does anyone know Zhang Nings Total wins ?

4. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Chinese players usually have a limited playing career (about 5 years). Their internal competition if so fierce that their top players only get to play 2-3 WCs in their careers (think Wang Lin, Zhu Lin, Lu Lan, Wang Xin - all contemporaries of SN but retired like 7-8 years ago). I don’t think the comparison of SN being at another level is fair.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Much better compared to last time where WC is played every 3/2 years. Since 2005 , the medal discrepancies in WC get a lot further. Its a reflection but dont think its a true reflection that is needed for badminton to be competitive.

Prefer WorldChamp to be played every 4 years. The stakes will be much higher then .., If its truly is that important.

Only AhsanHendra is the true WorldChamp having last played 4 years ago.

#1205 Yoji, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    Anks likes this.
  7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

DAY 5 - QUARTERFINAL (11.00am & 05.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...F75B1C-E72D-4248-865F-8EC38C06F7CB&d=20190823

*MATCH HIGHLIGHTS*
    - Jonatan Christie (INA) v Sai Praneeth (IND)
    - Anders Antonsen (DEN) v Chen Long (CHN)
    - Kantaphon Wangcharoen (THA) v Chou Tien Chen (TPE)
    - Nozomi Okuhara (JPN) v He Bing Jiao (CHN)
    - Mia Blichfeldt (DEN) v Chen Yu Fei (CHN)
    - Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND) v Tai Tzu Ying (TPE)
    - Choi SG/Seo SJ (KOR) v Alfian/Ardianto (INA)
    - Ahsan/Setiawan (INA) v Liao MC/Su CH (TPE)
    - Chen QC/Jia YF (CHN) v Polii/Rahayu (INA)
    - Lee SH/Shin SC (KOR) v Fukushima/Hirota (JPN)
    - Watanabe/Higashino (JPN) v Chan PS/Goh LY (MAS)
    - Tang CM/Tse YS (HKG) v Wang YL/Huang DP (CHN)
    • 20 years old teenager Yeo Jia Min creates major breakthrough in her badminton career and history for Singapore to reach world championships quarterfinal. Yeo showed the never give up spirit and solid determination despite must endure back pain to overcome inspiring Vietnamese Vu Thi Trang in 72 minutes battle, 21-12 / 14-21 / 21-16.
    • At the adjacent court, 2013 World Champion Ratchanok Intanon proves her status as one of world class players in arduous situation. At the brink of losing, 18-21 / 18-20 Intanon saved two match points as the inexperienced Gregoria Tunjung failed to hold nervous well and produced errors that giving her opponent turning point. Inevitable one way traffic circumstances happened in deciding game as the Indonesian talent couldn't regain her focus back, haunted by second game painful defeat. Thailand ace has surpassed the hardest time here, she's favoured to going further against Singapore giant-killer.
    • The big match and most enticing women singles quarterfinal clash is on the cards, Tai Tzu Ying versus Pusarla Sindhu, silver medalist of last two world championships. Two Chinese hopefuls also through into last eight, He Bing Jiao, Chen Yu Fei who will up against 2017 World Champion Nozomi Okuhara and the rapid-improved Danish player Mia Blichfeldt who stuns the vast experienced Indian prominent name Saina Nehwal, 15-21 / 27-25 / 21-12.
    • Sai Praneeth rejects all Indonesian quarterfinals, outwits the quick attacking Anthony Ginting with his clever tactical play, 21-19 / 21-13. The Indian often forcing Ginting to the baseline, moving corner to corner that causing the world number eight hard to apply usual strategy. Ginting seemed lack of confidence particularly after second game interval break, 11-8. A more difficult job for Indian sole survivor in this category to claim a medal in Basel, Jonatan Christie who had evolved lately in terms of consistency.
    • Top-two seeds Kento Momota, Chou Tien Chen will be challenged by couple of blossoming aspirants Lee Zii Jia and Kantaphon Wangcharoen respectively. Lee outlasts Kenta Nishimoto in marathon match while Wangcharoen knocks out the off-form Kidambi Srikanth comfortably. Danish ambitious young man Anders Antonsen will face past champion Chen Long, a big question mark for Chen whether he could seize opportunity to make amends when it matters most.
    • The Korean underdogs Choi SG/Seo SJ continue gallant run to dismiss more fancied rival, Lee Y/Wang CL in three games. Indonesia men's doubles combination will be main threat in their path into finale here, Alfian/Ardianto who didn't perform satisfactorily start to rectify dismal performance to oust Rio OG silver medalists Goh VS/Tan WK. The rejuvenated Ahsan/Setiawan will take on Taiwanese representatives Liao MC/Su CH who disappoint European powerhouses Astrup/Rasmussen, 21-19 / 12-21 / 21-17.
    • China, Japan have assured one semifinal spot, the fast-progressed Hoki/Kobayashi and reigning World Champions Li JH/Liu YC will face their seniors, Kamura/Sonoda and Liu C/Zhang N.
    • Japan women's doubles pairs are back to business, only one quarterfinal encounter which doesn't involve Japanese contestant, 2017 World Champions Chen QC/Jia YF will oppose last year bronze medalists Polii/Rahayu, a projected very long duration match. On paper scenario, the big three club of MatsuNaga, FukuHiro and TakaMatsu have the upper hand to subdue their opponent based on world ranking.
    • Mixed doubles hot favourites, Zheng/Huang, Wang/Huang have tricky tests to prevail, the lefthander opponents form different nation, Korean Seo SJ/Chae YJ and Hong Kongers Tang CM/Tse YS.
    • The buoyant Netherlands duo Tabeling/Piek celebrated their successful yesterday to conquer 6th seed Jordan/Oktavianti, 21-13 / 21-23 / 21-8 and tougher rivals await them Thai dynamic tandem Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai. An engaging plot will pay attention to Watanabe/Higashino who set up a meeting with arch rivals Chan PS/Goh LY.

LIVE TV COVERAGE
    upload_2019-8-23_9-8-59.png

upload_2019-8-23_9-9-22.png

pp35, nilesh123, nizze and 6 others like this.
  8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

two promising young players, MAS Lee Zii Jia and THA Kantaphon Wangcharoen, who both played each other during Thailand Master 2017 semifinal epic clash, will going to face world top 2 players, JPN Kento Momota and TPE Chou Tien Chen respectively in the QF of the World Championships for a place at SF round...

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I would really like to watch 3 matches

Momota vs LZJ
    FajarRian vs ChoiSeo
    Not sure 1 more

10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I dont think its fair to compare Mens with Womans department...I was talking about SN and her total wins so far in her career being the highest ever in WS.

11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Well are they not allowed to play after a certain age because LXR the Partner of SN's OG Podium is still playing and these two are the oldest if Im not wrong so I think its fair to compare SN with her era players for LXR too has a Never say Never attitude and she is doing all she can to come back....All I would love to see now is a match between these two cause that would be a really FAIR match of two top class atheletes ever in WS department...Im lucky to have seen both LXR and SN Play LIVE.

Some of my all time favourites will always be Wang Yihan,Saina Nehwal,Li Xuerui and the dream girl Wang Shixian ( The Most Beautiful Woman EVER IMO ).

I will be sad when SN and LXR hang their raquets...Sadly that day will come for all our players and when a player retires even those you dont like as a badminton fan your heart cries.:(

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Let see how cheating Choi fare today.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Just like its not fair comparing WC to other titles.

I like tennis more where it rewards consistency. Every GS is the same.

14. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Watanabe/Higashino vs Goh/Chan

trizzforce, KhoaHa and Cheung like this.
  15. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

I hope the youngsters win.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    nilesh123 likes this.
  17. nizze

nizze Regular Member

I think YJM's real challenge in this tournament will be the QF with RI.

Tbh i didn't catch her R32 match with AY. IMHO, if AY weren't nursing an injury and were to play at her normal level, i doubt YJM is able to get past her.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

18. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

SN looks heavier and slower than previously, but is still a very dangerous player.
    However, as I watched the match, it felt more like it was MB who fought back against SN and managed to stretch it to a deciding third game. It was a very tense and mentally challenging ending of G2, for both players.

When MB was up 21-20, the umpire makes a ridiculous error when she calls fault on MB for hitting the shuttle after it had hit the floor (which it didn't). I don't even think her racket touched the floor (It is probably geoblocked but whatever: https://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2019-08-23-dommer-lavede-grotesk-kendelse-i-danskerkamp). That levelled the score at 21-21. In my opinion it was impressive that MB managed to keep fighting after that, even being down with two match points on the way to 27-25. To be fair, MB also had a "lucky" line call shortly after that incident. Both Gopichand and Jonassen were furious in the break between G2 and G3. Quite entertaining. And a good example why we need hawk-eye on all courts at a WC.

#1218 Hassefar60, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    stanleyfm, pp35 and Justin L like this.
  19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I NEVER Compare WC to others for WC Medals are only for ELITE players My criteria to count players as BESTEST are based on only TWO Tournaments OG and WC.

One of the reasons I stay quite with a bitter pill even after hearing Morten Frosts leathal commentary is because Im bound by the shackles of his greatness as 2 Times WC Silver Medalist or else You would be seeing A LOT OF Long comments from my side..But Im tied..I can never disrespect a WC Medalist for I know how hard it is to even reach the semis to get the automatic bronze let alone reaching the finals and fighting hard and get Silver.

This is why Badminton is different in tennis GS is everything but for Badminton OG and then WC is a DREAM of players its the BIGGEST OF ALL...I dont count other tournaments.

Thats why I adress players as OG and WC Medalists...and so do commentators like GC who dont call players as Thailand Open or Korea open Champ or WTF Champ butWORLD CHAMPION or OG WC Silver or Bronze medalist.

20. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Have to give it to MB for her hard work...But I still think MB may never be able to achieve what SN has even if she gets a Gold at OG her Winnings might never surpass that of Nehwal's who seem to have the highest Winning streaks of all players of all time in WS with 430+ to her name..and that reacord may never be broken BUT TTY is the one who could do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.