Badminton is boring

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by scamp, Jul 22, 2019.

1. scamp

scamp Regular Member

...seems the view of tv companies. Have just watched tennis at Wimbledon and see why badminton can't compete. The whole sport needsa a shake up. Seems it is only popular in the far east and among the many players in leages and recreation. tv companies is the west hardly touch it. Man, i saw more womens netball on tv than badminton!

2. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Yup it is very unfortunate. Badminton is very exciting but it is not presented as such

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

... a group of dying dinosaurs. Who cares about tv companies any longer ? TV is time bound and time slots will be only given to the most popular sports.

Streaming is the future and maybe the ignorance of the west tv companies will push badminton in the right direction to reach a larger audience. I'm quite happy to watch matches on youtube.

Cheung, Saru, kwun and 2 others like this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Other people have different hobby & those hobby bring much fun in their own way so that only they who love it can understand that. Cant blame or force other for like/hate thing.
    Chess is boring for me, seeing 2 people watching each other & moving every 10 minute just to move an object... But they who love it will enjoy it whatever it is.

Fidget likes this.
  5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Badminton is exciting ... for fans. :)Especially with loud crowds cheering, like in Indonesia.

And thank you BWF for supplying so much free badminton on youtube.
    Remember the days of torrents? Or watching videos from someone shakily videotaping their tv screen?
    We have so much more world-class badminton to be excited by then we did 10-15 years ago.

I will admit that I don't watch as much as I used to. As discussed in another thread, the amount of delay between rallies means that even a two-set match might last an hour. (At least for certain players). That takes away from excitement.

As for making the sport more attractive to new potential fans?.... I don’t think it’s going to be through any rule change, or laser light-show between matches, or any other gimmick.
    True fans come from those who have played. So the answer is to get badminton to the grassroots. In more schools and community centres, especially in the West.
    For a minority sport, that sort of growth is going to be slow and incremental. Our sport won’t overtake tennis or football, but it is growing. Have faith. (Great ideas also welcome. But always have faith).;)

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a very valid point. the world has changed. my kids barely watch TV these days but spend most of their "watching" time on youtube. (disgress... not necessarily good because many of the shows have such poor production value and low quality to the point of junk and bad influence)

but that changes the dynamics of popularizing badminton a little bit. used to be, ppl turn on TV, 'oh hey, what is this sport on TV" and discover things. they might see badminton being broadcasted and started enjoying it.

that doesn't happen anymore when the matches are on youtube. there is no casual channel browsing through the TV programs. how do we even advertise badminton to the non badminton fans anymore?

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

My son does not really know TV. Either he wants to watch a show on netflix or he want to actually browse through youtube. I never show him how to utilize youtube, but he watch some content and either browse through some of the proposed content on the sidebar or he search for certain content, just using some key words.

Here in germany sport is dominated by soccer (99%), then there is some tennis,formula one etc, but badmintion is non existing in the TV-world. Even if you want to watch badminton, you wouldn't be able to find anything in the more common TV-channels.

The new behavior of media consumption is more directed. You hear or see something, then you search for it and watch some videos, then you continue to search for more detailed content, something which would not be possible 30 years ago when TV told you what is interesting.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    right. so the new model works for ppl who wants to look for something in particular, but not accidental discovery. i guess one can pay for ads to advertise the BWF channel but that's probably a fair amount of expense.

9. Justin LI

Justin LI New Member

Exercise Physiologist
    It's great to hear some discussion about this topic. I'm from Australia and nobody knows what badminton is and the ones that do think its a backyard outdoor picnic sport. I definitely agree that true fans are going to be ones that play and this does mean getting it into the grassroots as Fidget said. What I would like to see is firstly a greater appreciation for the speed and athleticism that goes into this sport. Currently the broadcast camera perspective doesn't give much context to a regular viewer and really doesn't do the pace of this sport justice.

There's definitely a spike in the popularity/awareness of badminton every 4 years in the olympic cycle and I think this would be a great time for BWF to really push some more awareness of this sport. Any other ideas/angles you guys have?

Fidget likes this.
  10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

The Wimbledon tennis singles finals used 20 cameras to cover a lot of angles, close-ups, slow-motion, wide angle, crowd etc. How many cameras are used for a badminton singles final? Surely, with more cameras the viewing experience would be improved and commentators could use replays more effectively which would in time make the sport more appealing to casual viewers.

Quality production values will make the sport more likely to be broadcast/streamed more widely. If it looks good then it will be watched, if it looks ancient and sluggish then people will pass by and keep watch cats falling off walls instead.

11. scamp

scamp Regular Member

It has to shake off somehow the back yard or garden image played by kids. Nothing wrong with that for casual fun but it makes badminton look like a pit-a-pat game that can't be taken seriously. Some folk can't belive people play as professionals!

I am thinking of taking up tennis. I see that many clubs have a resident coach. If I am good enoiugh I can play league matches in daytime as well and not have late badminton league evenings in the winter.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I definitely agree with your point on the current standard broadcasting camera being less than optimal. It gives a nice overview of the court, and someone who has seen pro badminton live can appreciate the show as it is, but the distance and angle really deceive the viewer and make it seem less intense and fast than it actually is. Sound production is another aspect, although I'm not entirely sure if that can be improved much - in a live tournament, the sounds of the players hitting the shuttle are more intense, crisper, louder, than they are on broadcast. Makes it more impressive.
    The main improvement for a better broadcast that I'd like to see: more different camera angles. More flat angles, to really show the speed of the game accurately. Maybe even some fisheye lense action, there were some great videos of LCW at the Japan Open a couple years back that used one and the effect was incredible. I wouldn't use it as the main perspective for a broadcast because of the lower image quality, but I'd definitely throw one in there, for example when you repeat a particularly spectacular rally. The main perspective could remain the current standard view, but it would need a flatter view at least 30-40% of the time.
    Second improvement - hire more capable commentators. Let them explain why something was incredible. Let them bring passion into the game. I like guys like Steen and Morten, they're knowledgeable and good for color commentary, but I'd definitely pair them with a hype caster - they're too calm to excite someone who doesn't have an analytical/intellectual interest in the game. And never ever again hire that weird Canadian woman who sounds like a soundboard with 5 different comments - she doesn't seem to know much about badminton, her vocabulary appears limited and repetitive, and her voice is grating at best.
    An example of what I mean by 'hype' casting (especially 4:45, 5:50):

Those guys probably have higher day rates than most badminton commentators, but at the end of the day, that's the price you have to pay to promote your sport. Same as production, you cant skimp on cameras and expect to be popular, you'll need more than one birds-eye view these days.

13. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I disagree with this. I think badminton matches NEED to be more gimmicky and exciting so that people who don't play badminton but stumble upon it will stay and watch a match. One way of doing that is through extreme personalities (like a mcEnroe in tennis) that people will sit and watch just to watch them freak out. But another way is to make the games more fun for non players. Every mainstream sports has a MUCH bigger audience (wearing clothes, buying merch) that only watches games and doesn't play it. Badminton is the second most played sport in the world! If it was just players watching, it would have a much bigger audience. So somehow the current game can't even attract the eyeballs of people who play the sport, much less possible non playing fans.

But let's be honest, the quiet setting, the cool and collected voices of the proper british announcers, (I love Gillian but her voice is very reminiscent of a midnight jazz show on public radio. Soothing but ultimately boring for people who don't understand the game.) We need t-shirt cannons, trick shot halftime shows and some kind of "smash competition" with audience members during a break. I mean, I watched the recent NBA finals (and I hate basketball) and it was damned entertaining. Not because of the game play, but because of the live DJ, the commentators who were not in a quiet location, but in the middle of the crowd and swelling with excitement and energy as the crowd, and loud and all the other fun stuff they had. I even found myself slightly interested in the basketball because of all the excitement of the games.

I find it is creepy that badminton players come out holding hands of small children (and yes I know tennis does it too, but why?? Is it meant to represent peace and purity? It's just weird.) and they give the top players stuffed animals. It's an adult game with elite athletes and they are photographed withe some stuffed trinket? It doesn't make the winners look cool to non players at all.

But the BWF leadership seems really stuck on keeping the "tradition" of badminton, and not changing anything, seemingly preferring to keep it polite and elite then something the average person can watch and enjoy.

14. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

I have read some great points in this thread and I definitely agree with most of them. But I'm always wondering if Badminton really needs to be bigger? (and keep in mind that thought is coming from my european perspective). I really enjoy the sport culture of such a small sport: There aren't too many clubs, so everybody in the region knows eachother. Games and tournaments are competetive, but very friendly. There's always cake, coffee and snacks for the visiting club and it's not unusual to go partying together after the game/tournament. I used to play soccer when I was younger and it definitely wasn't like that there.
    The same applies to broadcasts: I find it a great luxury that every major game get's broadcasted for free on the internet. Even the low level tournaments usually have a livestream going! Comparing that to soccer or tennis really makes me appreciate the non commercialization of Badminton.

15. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I love how this thread has different opinions on the way badminton should be promoted ... yet everyone is being respectful. :) Wow.

16. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Ha, that's an interesting point I haven't really heard anyone make before. The question is usually "how to make badminton more popular," not "should we make it more popular." I guess i assumed everyone wanted it to be more recognized in the world, but apparently not everyone. So, SHOULD badminton be more popular?

LenaicM likes this.
  17. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

There are so many questions and self doubts but does not apply to all regions. Popularity being equal globally would be nice, possibly.
    You also have to ask yourself, could badminton survive if it was less popular. Maybe right now is the best it could be.

30 years ago my local club in rural England had too many women and not enough men to run enough competitive mixed teams. The situation is now completely the opposite. Maybe badminton should be appealing to a broader demographic or just a certain demographic. Is badminton sexist? I didn't think so. There must be some reason for the difference in numbers in what I thought was a sport with good equality.

It would be interesting to see if the problem with males outnumbering females at the local competitive level is a problem everywhere or just England/UK. I have moved between 3 counties (regions) and seen the same story.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Definitely the same problem here, can barely get enough female players to get somewhat decent team ratios (standard ratio should be 2m:1f). I don't think it's about badminton itself, and rather more sport choices and other sports attracting females more. While I have no numbers for it, I'd guess badminton is also regressing overall here in Germany.

19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Golf has a solid non-players audience base and it isn't that spectacular. Football isn't either when I think about it. There is a lot of fuss in the media but players are usually rather introvert and quite focused on matches and their season. I mean Ronaldo's team was playing in South Korea last week yet he stayed on the bench. He didn't even bother to put on a show for one single minute.

I'm not sure what works for NBA and the American audience would work for badminton. The NBA is very exuberant and most American players are very demonstrative with strong personalities. In badminton, a sport mainly dominated by players coming from Asia, the culture tends to be a little bit different even though there are a few strong characters in Asia obviously... I don't mean to generalize.

Holding hands with kids is common in football too, that doesn't shock me and I imagine it's cool for the kids to be able to see their idols and enter the court from a player point of view.

You have players throwing tee shirts to the audience from time to time :p before matches (with their hands huh not canons :D).

Some good ideas, involving the audience would be great. A smash contest between pro players would be a lot of fun too! But the BWF would have to reformat the whole organisation of their tournament. As it is, players are going through too many matches to be able to participate in any other events. I guess badminton is quite a serious sport after all... I personally love the value the sport carry and wouldn't like it to become a big show just to attract a non-player audience.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Same problem in HK and Malaysia. Played once in Singapore and fewer ladies in that club but I don’t want to generalise.

Even for HK juniors, fewer girls play competitive badminton. However for just hitting around, numbers seen more comparable. There are plenty of housewives who like to get together in the mornings playing badminton for a bit of exercise and social gathering.