Kawasaki King Kong (hybrid feather shuttles)

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by LenaicM, Apr 2, 2018.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

First time I hear about these, seems like it was just added to their catalogue as it is tagged "NEW" on their website. Will probably try them out next time I order something to Larde Sport, good find. So far I was happy with the KK 500 but I'm not sure if I'm being influenced by the new cheapo looking design of the tubes but this last tube got me disappointed (durability wise) and if the next tubes I have are confirming this drop in durability I might as well switch to higher grade full feather birdies.

2. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I always have been disappointed by the durability of the K500.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Finished the other tubes with the new design and they lasted as long as usual with the feather not breaking but slowly fraying. Most shuttles lasted 2/3 sets. I guess I really had one bad tube because like I said a month ago this tube didn’t last long at all with the feathers breaking so easily within a set which was surprising.

Pleased to say only the design of the tubes changed on the end, not the durability of the shuttles.

Slade likes this.
  4. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

I have gone through twenty tubes of those and I can recommend them highly
    Feeling is a bit worst than low end shuttles bit not too much. Trajectories is on par with low end shuttles.
    Durability is very good as stated before.
    This holds for new design too.

My club use them for practice. Nobody is complaining so far.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  5. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    I find them a bit too heavy. They're good for their intended purpose (drills and beginners).

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

After a year and a half using those shuttles I decided to switch to full feather ones, even for drills. Two reasons:

- I plan to do more tournaments and those shuffles are not allowed (in France at least) for competitive games.

- I recently started to feel the difference between these hybrids and higher end feather shuttles. The flight of the KK500 is straighter by the time it reaches the deep end of the opponents court while good feather shuttles have more of a "parachute effect" at the end of their trajectory I would say. Therefore, switching from a hybrid shuttle to a classic shuttle feels off, for instance I have to adjust my clears or the classic feather shuttle lands short if I use as much power as I do with the KK500. I'd say the KK500 have tendency to go too far even when using one speed slower than the playing conditions would require.

My new take on this shuttle: perfect for beginners, player transitioning from plastic to feather, recreationnal player (even with a high level, as long as they don't enrol in tournaments where a switch of shuttle is required) or friendly matches against beginner players who tend to break feathers easily. (Going to keep a tube for this purpose in my bag)

For competitive players and mainly because this shuttle is not allowed in tournament (if it were and players were using it, no adjustment would be needed therefore it would be just fine for me) it is slightly penalizing at the beginning of a match as it requires players who are used to the hybrid trajectory to adjust a bit their power especially for clears which is such an important shot for singles players.

endFX likes this.
  7. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I use them and other cheaper shuttles for practice, along with some tournament shuttles, until a month or so before tournaments, when I switch to tournament shuttles only. That seems to be enough time for me to adjust.

8. dbones

dbones New Member

Enjoyed reading this thread, thanks all! This might be what I need to buy for my beginner friends

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Can some one compare KK700 vs KK500? Thanks.

10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Did any one try FZ Forza Hybrid 5000?, they seem to be similar to Kawasaki KK 500. I am interested in durability comparison.
    Thanks.

11. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

We use them for training at my club,
    I would say they are the exact same,n difference can be felt imo.
    In durability they may be a little bit less durable but only by a small margin

Sumanth99 likes this.
  12. Youngheinrich

Youngheinrich New Member

Answer to 3.) of course the feathers of a Kawasaki KK500 can break as well. But as the plastic element, the scirt or basket alike middle section is more flexible than the traditional ones, this prevents the feathers from breaking. Thus half of the shuttles end up by degradation of the feathers, making the shuttle significantly slower.

answer to 1.) this construction allows a 100% automatic fabrication, by machines. No childrens work needed. And as this fabrication process is much more precise than handwork, all the shuttles out of the box have the same characteristics.

2.) ... don’t know. I wish, Kawasaki would offer the same construction, but with much bigger feathers (more rugged). This would be the perfect solution. May be more expensive, but surely then with enhanced lifetime, easily compensating the extra cost.

13. Youngheinrich

Youngheinrich New Member

Yes, that is possible. Out of 10 shuttles not longer ok for playing you will find 1-3 , who look more or less ok, but have some broken feathers. It is possible (not always) to pull out feathers with a small needle nose pliers, and may be build 2 shuttles out of 3. Just by sticking the feathers into the holes. Takes some time and experience until you will be able to replace feathers. One challenge is to change the feathers without damaging the feather itself. Well, it may happen, that a repaired shuttle will lose feathers, or break faster. the repair result is not perfect. I suggest to try it, if you dispose of enough time for such work.
    But as the shuttle price is below 1€ (in quantities), and the repaired shuttles will last only around 50% of the average time, the benefit is not that great.

visor and LenaicM like this.
  14. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

I find the KK500 (speed 76) is a bit too fast when fresh out of the tube. After using for half a game they start to slow down and behave more like normal feathers, but they lose out on the feel and crispness.