When do you actually decide to increase/decrease your string tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by movingbase, Jul 17, 2019.

1. movingbase

movingbase Regular Member

Hello folks,

I hope the topic is relevant to this forum category!
    Trying to understand when one should increase/decrease the string tension for your racket.

Could any of you share the key factors which a player should weigh in before adjusting the tension?
    Is there something we can determine whether if the string tension suits us or otherwise?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It's a balance between repulsion and control. Requires some experimenting by adding or subtracting 1 lb at a time... I know that takes time and money for so many restringing jobs, but once you find the right tension, you'll be pretty much set for years.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Repulsion & control is 2 side that cant walk together. More repulsion mean less control & more control mean less repulsion.

You need to find an area where you would enjoy both power & control. When you already enjoy you current tension in term of power, you might want to add 1 or 2 lbs higher to sacrifice some power for better control until you hit area where you strugle in power or you didnt feel it good.

I start my game with very old legacy racket & its string. Didnt even bother to change the string. Maybe its 20 or 18lbs. As i gain skill i change string to 22lbs, then 24lbs. I stop at 26lbs where i start experimenting with different string.
    Recently i try my friend VT1DG 30lbs, i can play with it, it just that i dont like the feeling hitting with frying pan.

4. movingbase

movingbase Regular Member

Thanks both, meaning that it's entirely up to one's self to determine these elements (power & control)?
    The general consensus which I tend to get from friends is:
    - Using the racket with the tension we've strung, if we can't generate power behind shots, it's a sign that the tension may be too loose/tight
    - Using the racket with a higher tension potentially cause our arms to tire quickly, sometimes even cause discomfort to the arm & shoulders

Are there any other useful tips to judge this?:(

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Just add 1-2lbs every times you restring.
    Then if you feel its uncomfortable like you feel struggle a bit when doing clear shot, you can stay with it till next restring. On those time, review your play. As the time move, do you still struggle or not? If yes, drop back 1lbs, or if not just stick to it for the time being to makes yourself adapt to it & improve your technique & power.

movingbase and llrr like this.
  6. brentjohner

brentjohner New Member

Professional Racquet Stringer
    The backhand corner-to-corner clear is a good test. Set up in the back hand corner. Have a coach feed you a dozen shuttles. Clear them cross court to the far corner. If they land in the box, you tension is right. If you hit them out, your raise tension. If you can't get them there, lower your tension.

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

additional parameter is needed.
    Able to hit with a good amount of power you enjoy with. Its not good if you able to hit the bird inside the box, but to do so you need to do an all out power swing.