Who are the smokers?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by SmashingSlash, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Denmark bmt*fan

Denmark bmt*fan Regular Member

But isn't smoking bad for health??:confused:
    Won't it like affect their performance on court??:confused:
    I can't imagine any of the professional players smoking...:eek:
    why would they want to smoke secretly??:confused:

too many questions....:p

2. OveRHeaDCleaR

OveRHeaDCleaR New Member

reply:my opinion

hmmmm would smoking be considered illegal like for olympics and stuff? how they check u for drugs etc. wouldn't that be y they smoke secretly?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    smoking kills

Would-be rock star plunges from bed to death Wed Feb 22, 9:20 AM ET

A teenage guitarist got so carried away while bouncing up and down on his bed mimicking a rock star that he flew out of a third floor window to his death, a Singapore newspaper reported Wednesday.

The Straits Times said Li Xiao Meng, a 16-year-old from China who was studying at Singapore's Hua Business School, was a keen musician who liked to jump up and down while playing his guitar in his hostel room.

"But on November 17 he took things a bit too far," the newspaper said, reporting on a coroner's court findings.

Ruling death by misadventure, the court said evidence "points to the deceased unintentionally falling out of the window to his death when he was hyped up with exhilaration, jumping up and down on the bed placed against an open window while mimicking a rock guitarist.""

Normally the windows were locked, the newspaper said, but students sometimes forced them open so they could smoke, something prohibited by the hostel.

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Natural selection at work.

-dave

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

*sniff* *sniff* I smell a Darwin award...

6. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

Yeah, I would say he would be a strong contender for that dubious award:)
    Marijuana + Heavy Metal + JUmping on bed while air guitaring on the third floor near a open window = Very silly idea!:p

I actually know a guy who smokes weed alot before he plays;)

He is a really good player and is really unpredictable----> sort of like in a 'DRUNKEN MASTER' type way he has only lost one singles in 4 seasons.:eek: in the top grade----A grade.:eek:
    I know this guy very very well-----;) his eyes look like this:eek: but more blood shot!.......lol....ohh my eyes are red....better wear my sun glasses:cool: hehe

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are many people who smoke in China. My friend went to FuJian and styaedin a hotel next to a training centre. He said the players there were really, really good. BUT, they are all smoking - the coaches (only stop to shout at their players!), the linesmen, and the players themselves.

Of course smoking is unhealthy but China's policy on smoking is way behind that of some other countries. There's also a cultural problem in China - it's polite to offer people cigarettes over dinner!!

Plus, major tobacco corporations are feeling the squeeze in developed economies. They are forcing open new markets in countries with poorly developed health systems. i.e. developing countries - which, also siginificantly, have a less well educated population on average.

Usually the tactic is to try and hook people into smoking when young. After that, they become addicted and cannot stop. It's a great business becuase the harmful health effects of smoking are not seen till decades later. Eventually, 1 in 2 people will die because of smoking.

8. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i hate the smell too, but when someone asks "would you mind if i smoke?" i have to answer "no,please". cause otherwise it will look like i am not easy-going...

9. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    jakarta, indonesia capital, has a new rule, forbidding people smoke in public area, they must smoke the cigarretes in the smoking room,

the fine is 50 million rupiahs or $500

10. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i remember we have this kind of rules in china too, but nobody seems to care about it,they still smoke on streets, bus stations, markets, everywhere...:(
    haha, i remember you smoke too, do you hate this rule?;)

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    there're 'anti smoking' special polices to patrol :D ,

yes... i hathe the rule, i must go to the hotel to smoke the cigarretes :)

12. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    i strongly think that as a sportsman, not only badminton, the best is not to smoketo keep ourselves in good shape..smoking isnt addictive at all. it all depends on your mind if you tell yourself to stop smoking.
    i have a china coach coaching us too but he smokes at as you can see, he even lost to one of our young player only 16. wheres the other china national coach did not smoke and he is definetly very fit.
    why bother to buy cigrettes to smoke and kill yourself over time. i find it stupid and a packet in singapore costs $12.50.
    And the smell of the cigrette really S****s everytime i smell it i cough and sometimes sneeze.

13. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

14. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student

15. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

16. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Agree with you LongReach.

Smoking is so addictive that many smokers can't even stop after learning they have a lung cancer !!

Tobacco industry is marketing new developping countries very aggressively to compensate for lower sales in occidental countries, and this might lead to a sanitary disaster in many countries...

Back to the topic, smoking is obviously very bad for badminton performance, as it reduces stamina a lot.
    It might become less of a handicap if new scoring is adopted, but it will always be better not to smoke!

17. taber

taber Regular Member

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good point. Now, just imagine how many people are not strong enough to control themselves. Now imagine how many people there are in the world with less education the average s'porean. Now imagine a whole bunch of smokers who want to give up surrounded by a social group who continue to smoke...

It's tough to give up because it is so addictive and because of the social aspect. I suspect there are people who find it harder to give up and there are people who find it easy to give up.

Those who find it biologically easier to give up smoking can pat themselves on the back and say "I gave up because I've got a strong character". Who can tell?:)

19. kemana

kemana Regular Member

is it really so harmful not to eat in half hour after exercise? i am frightened!
    i was forced not to eat anything after exercise when i took this course that
    help people to keep slender. i was told that,otherwise i will put on weight. and i keep the habbit now, never eat anything after playing badminton .
    OMG!

20. kemana

kemana Regular Member

actually, my grand mother did:D .she quitted at 50, and lived another 43 years after that.:)