How to improve forehand reversed sliced drop shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by martinerk0, Jun 12, 2019.

1. martinerk0

martinerk0 New Member

student
    Hi, I have started to play slices on all my drop shots and it definitely improved length of rallies and safety of shots.
    While normal sliced drop shots are relatively OK, I have questions about reverse slice drop shots.
    • Should I play it higher?
    • With more spin?
    • It somehow looks "loopy". (Is it OK?)
    • Should I play it with scissor jump? ( I guess answer is yes, but I just do weird step over)
    • On forehand side is it OK to not do scissor jump and just play shot while jumping backward? I was told that I should't do scissor jump on forehand side in singles and indeed pros don't do it, only when playing full power smashes.
    • Also, should I give a shuttle a little "push" while slicing it, when I want to play it faster?
    • How do you improve deception of slices? I imagine playing cross clear and then playing cross slice drop, do you have any other method?

2. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

I can answer a few because I'm not pro.
    here my suggestion
    - yes, generally, you should play the shuttle as high as you can. Think about it, if you play it low, the shuttle is moving forward>downward and you have to play it soft to make it land close to the net,thus, the shuttle move rather slow. But if you play it high you can push it more harder downward so downward>forward resulting shuttle moving faster and land closer to the net.

- you can scissor jump to add deceptive effect either on forehand side or overhead forehand but it will be harder to perform than standing on the floor though. It will depend on whether you are fast enough to move and prepare for that shot, so both should be fine.

-I don't know if I'm correct but when you play this shot your body is facing toward the net. I think you should twist a bit more and make it faces the side like when you're trying to play a harder shot (eg.smash).Then either slow down mid-swing or keep the fast swing but add more slice would be more deceptive. Anyway, combining with jumping shot like scissor kick will have a greater deceptive effect but keep in mind that it is double-edge. To make it short, make your preparation for every shot look the same so your opponent can't read it easily

-you're footwork is ok, I think, but you're upper body is a bit weird. It might be your left hand. Someone else might be able to explain. Random thought, you might try to raise it higher to balance yourself and to me if I raise my left hand to the shuttle it helps measurement of distance, balance and it somehow automatically make my body face sideway making swing more powerful.Don't trust this bullet though it's just my feeling.

any thought on this is appreciate. share your idea

3. Toivot

Toivot New Member

Related to the two points above, it looks like you're often leaning backwards from the waist when playing this shot, which suggests you're not getting behind the shuttle enough, and explains why you're square on rather than turned to the side. Ideally you'd get behind the shuttle and side on, just like you would for a smash.

Using your left arm to point up at the shuttle could help, because it will let you gauge whether you are behind it enough (if you find yourself having to point your left arm too far upwards [or even backwards!] you are not far enough behind it).

IevasPolka likes this.
  4. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

Yea that's what I'm trying to say but can't find the word